Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Well compared with my target half race pace its actually about 3:30 per mile slower. So quite a way out. HR wise Eggy its firmly in the lower end of Zone 1 at around 53% HRR. I'd usually expect my easy runs to be 60-70% on previous experience but could be wrong.

I've been doing it for 2 weeks now, can't say I've noticed any ill effects with my gait or any niggles but I guess it could be too soon to tell.

PC your post makes sense to me, and if I consider Kaz advice too I could move the shorter easy one to recover/flush out.

Jo - Nice idea but the problem is as soon as I run away from her she starts slacking image She wouldn't want to do the bike - she is actually starting to enjoy running I think so want to keep encouraging her.

My speedwork has been consistent and seeing lots of improvements but I'm just concerned about my endurance and carrying my new pace into longer runs.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

My LSR's for Paris this year were all far slower than I'd normally run them. I was clocking an average pace between 10:00 & 10:30 m/m pace, when normally I tend to clock them around 9:30 m/m.

For the LSR's I didn't check my pace at all while I was running. I just kept going at a pace that felt easy and that I was comfortable with.

I did push hard on my mid-week runs and in the final few weeks of training I could see my times on those starting to improve, fairly significantly too. Come Paris I ran better than expected, grabbed a sub 4 and clocked my second best time over that distance. I had doubts over running at pace over distance as my LSR pace was much slower than it normally is, but that obviously had no adverse affect at all on performance in Paris.

• Blimey, I stepped away and a page filled up...  we're all eager beavers already.  I'm so excited, I've booked the apartment and can't wait to book the train -but can't do that till December, might burst.

Still grinning like a loon from my "great" time in the Albi Half on Sunday, beat the previous half by 8 minutes.  I've just been out for a short 5k and the legs didn't fall off, so am getting ready for the Canal Race on Thursday 15k, and really really want to beat 1.26, which I've done the last two years'. 

I keep noticing the training ref P&D......sorry but I've no idea what that is - enlighten me please as I'm sick to death of my Running for Woman Book now and am keep to get something different going for San Sebastian in November then ready for Paris.

Thanks

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

P&D is the 'Advanced Marathon Training' book by Pfitzinger & Douglas (P&D).

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Onetit - don't be intimidated by the title, it's not just for advanced runners. 

• Hello, just like many others this may well be my first marathon. I have just took the leap and booked on last night so I'm pretty nervous but excited too.

Just a quick question in regards to confirmation,

I have had confirmation of payment and on the ASO challenge website I have the Paris marathon in my events section. However I haven't received an email confirming my entry, but i do have the receipt of payment email. Is this my entry confirmation? I also had two emails today informing me that my ballot code will expire on the 4th, has anyone else had these today?

Im looking forward to finding a training plan to start me off so will research the ones mentioned on the previous page.

Does anyone think it would be a good or bad idea to attempt a marathon before Paris? I was tempted by the Chester marathon, which would then be my first marathon.

Thanks in advance to your replies. Matt

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Matt.

Welcome to the wonderful French admin. As long as you have that confirmation and it's in your ASO events you're good. You'll get something via the ASO events website to download nearer the time (called a convocation).

Well done for registering! image

Personally -i'd always consider doing one image Chester has a very good reputation but what is your running background? if you're just starting you could build up to a half with a good base by autumn and then attempt the full one next year... it depends on your level of fitness.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

So... who wants to come to Belgie and give me a hug. Absolute rotter of a day and not looking to get better. Thank goodness i have Thursday off!

• Thanks for the quick reply!

My running back ground as such is pretty limited, but I do a lot of multi sports biking climbing football , few duathlons etc (which I understand is completely different) but it leaves me relatively fit. I just need to adapt to the road now.... Looking forward to the challenge.

I think your right I need to get a good base fitness and go from there.... Trying to get prepared, image
  • Emmy - So... who wants to come to Belgie and give me a hug. Absolute rotter of a day and not looking to get better. Thank goodness i have Thursday off!

Me .. Me ,, I'm on my way image , not sure of flights from Glasgow but I'll get there as soon as I can ,, in the meantime sending hugs x
  • Upon whose house shall I place a pox, Emmy?

Don't suppose you'd be up for a run this weekend?

• Thanks for the welcome! Paris will be my third marathon and I will be aiming to get under 4 hours which would be a big PB. I am spending this year trying to improve my speed over shorter distances which I'm hoping will translate into a faster MP. I'm planning to follow the P&D up to 55 miles training plan.

• Ooh we're sending poxes and everything, I like. Sending hugs Emmy.

acp quite a few on here have found success with the 55m P&D plan. Just don't be afraid to modify it to suit life commitments/tiredness levels etc as it can be pretty heavy going.

I haven't entered a thing past July at this point.I was disappointed not to run Paris this year I think I will enter. In saying that I had a great time with the supporters team and it was nice to see it from a different perspective for once.

• Emmy - sorry to hear you've had a rotten day. At least you get one of those weird Belgian mid week bank holidays.

Having had a poke about on the Paris website, I notice the 'insurance' they're offering is different this year. I'm sure before it was cancellation insurance - it now seems to be  some kind of accident/sickness/death policy. But it's not very good value. Also, they say that most travel policies won't cover you for marathon running - not true, check the small print, many do, as long as you're not an elite. And the medical cover is pretty low - even the top one, costing 50 euros, would barely have covered Spitfire's bill. Better to get a proper short trip policy, which would cover your travel arrangements as well (note I am not authorised to give financial advice image).

• My average run cadence is a consistent 166! image I'm so rubbish image

• Hi i'm new to this forum, just done London my first marathon and now hoping for a place in Paris, great information on here re when your able to sign up as was having difficulty finding out, London was just or me a totally awesome experience cant believe i'm looking to do another, will keep an eye on any futher Paris marathon posts all the best to you all.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TinkerBEL wrote (see)

Upon whose house shall I place a pox, Emmy?

Don't suppose you'd be up for a run this weekend?

A fewimage I'm in NL this weekend. After my horrendous day - a friend is taking me to the Efterling. What about next weekend?

acp wrote (see)

Thanks for the welcome! Paris will be my third marathon and I will be aiming to get under 4 hours which would be a big PB. I am spending this year trying to improve my speed over shorter distances which I'm hoping will translate into a faster MP. I'm planning to follow the P&D up to 55 miles training plan.

Lots of people have success for P&D. I do the weekdays run and find that the different workouts are really good for my long term endurance.

helterskelter wrote (see)

I haven't entered a thing past July at this point.I was disappointed not to run Paris this year I think I will enter. In saying that I had a great time with the supporters team and it was nice to see it from a different perspective for once.

Loch Ness for you?

JULIE HYDE 2 wrote (see)

Hi i'm new to this forum, just done London my first marathon and now hoping for a place in Paris, great information on here re when your able to sign up as was having difficulty finding out, London was just or me a totally awesome experience cant believe i'm looking to do another, will keep an eye on any futher Paris marathon posts all the best to you all.

Hi Julie - welcome to the thread! Dont hesitate to get involved and ask quesitons image

London was my first marathon in 2012 and although I enjoyed it - there are a few other marathons that I rate higher than that.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Hi Julie, welcome. If you liked London, you'll love Paris.

Anyone got any tips for using airbnb? Not used it before but looking for an apartment en Paris for 2015, to factor in wife and daughter (support crew), whether they come or not is as yet undecided. I suppose airbnb's all about the reviews, non? Would like to be there, Friday - Monday. Left on Sunday afternoon this year feeling really spaced out as it was a bit rushed but also missed a celebratory biere that evening.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Julie - Welcome to the thread. Paris is a great event, you'll have a great time.

orapidrun - Reviews are the best way to check out airbnb apartments.

• Emmy - sending hugs! Also, I don't think I'd appreciated your first marathon was in 2012... how have you fit in 53(?) since then!!!

Today I mostly hurt, I guess this means "Insanity" is good for me!?image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jo - Yeah.. i'm a little amazed too image

What kind of hurt is it? I remember on day 3 that I was crying because I couldnt walk up the stairs properlyimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - am I too late to get a hug?

prompted by a previous question, we've had the ballot for the cheap places (ha) but when do the remaining places go on general sale? September?

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Onetit, thanks for asking the P&D question and Eggy thank you for clearing that up.

I had been quietly pondering the same question.

Someone mentioned a Jack Daniels training plan. That sounds like thirsty work.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome to all the new people. You're going to have a ball, next spring...

Meantime, at a tangent...Benign, if you fancy experimenting with cadence, what about one of those wee, clip on, metronomes? Or, if you run to music, manipulating the tempo of everything on your playlist to ..whatever...* Mine's at 180 bpm. TD or someone else can explain the reasoning behind that figure as being somehow optimal for most folk * I like the changing-tempo stuff, if you need a hand.

• ATM - I might try the metronome thing, thanks. I need to try something because just thinking about higher leg turn-over on its own isn't making it happen. I might try some 'fast feet' exercises as well to really break out of my bad habits. I'm not keen on music on runs though. I don't like that disconnection with what's going on around me.

Orapidrun - I found that many Airbnb hosts wouldn't accept bookings six months in advance, when I tried to book last September for this spring. Perhaps they wanted to see if they could rent the whole week, not just the long weekend. I've used the service four times in various places now, always with good results.

• Hello to all you new posters, congratulations on deciding to do Paris 2015, it's going to be awesome! I've got a 99EUR offer but I am completely skint after paying out for accommodation and flights for Loch Ness in Sept.

I'm already really excided about Loch Ness, it's going to be really tough but it should be a fantastic achievement and my husband has signed up too, it's his first marathon and my second.

With respect to LSR distances, as Paris was my first marathon I didn't know whether I'd actually be able to make the full distance or not, so I did end up doing a couple of 20 milers, one 21 and one 24 mile (which was going to be a 21 but I was going really well so just kept going!). I can confidently say that if I hadn't have achieved that 24 mile in training then Paris could've been a whole lot worse. I went off way too fast and by mile 8 I was just hanging on! If I'd have got to the 20 mile mark feeling like I did  (like a shot-gun to the head would be preferable than continuing to run!) and I didn't have the knowledge that I could actually make it then I really don't know whether I would've carried on running or not, I think I would've thrown in the towel.

I think that training is a very individual thing and it depends on what level you're running at etc - if you're really fit and a good strong runner then you won't feel the need to go over 20 miles in training, if you're starting from scratch like I did (I only had 3 months to go from 0 to Paris!) then you may need to build up your confidence. The only thing with doing really long runs is that it does increase your chance of injury and of being so tired that you can't then do the mileage the next week etc.

It is funny how doing a marathon skews your perception of distance - only running to 20 miles in training still leaves over 6 miles to do ..... personally I think that 6 miles is quite a long way, and that's without doing 20 miles to get to it! And don't forget the .2 either, longest .2 of a mile that you'll ever run!! image

• Emmy - it's the hurt of muscles that haven't been used for a while suddenly being woken from their indefinite hibernation and being asked to do all manner of jumpy-lungy-squatty-twisty things... I'd never even heard of a sideways press-up before! Hopefully a run with the pooch at lunchtime will loosen things off!

Heroine - bring on Loch Ness! see you there!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - am I too late to get a hug?

prompted by a previous question, we've had the ballot for the cheap places (ha) but when do the remaining places go on general sale? September?

Never! Come on over ((((Orbutt))). I think that they'll go on sale mid september probably.

LloydR wrote (see)

Someone mentioned a Jack Daniels training plan. That sounds like thirsty work.

I prefer the vokda diet... which i shall be using instead of beer in May image

benignmurmurring wrote (see)

Orapidrun - I found that many Airbnb hosts wouldn't accept bookings six months in advance, when I tried to book last September for this spring. Perhaps they wanted to see if they could rent the whole week, not just the long weekend. I've used the service four times in various places now, always with good results.

Normally its because you pay upfront and they dont want to have the problem with it. I'd be a little careful with them.

• On the subject of metronomes......I've been using one over the last couple of weeks to try and increase my leg turnover which averages about 150 (really low!). It is really difficult to increase by thought alone, you think you're legs are going faster but it's only when you start using the metronome that you realise they aren't! I'm not too sure whether it's going to be of any use, still too early to tell.

• Emm, hope you are having a better day.  Same here for the odd mid week day off, which of course means no French person will be working Friday either.

I've got the Canal run tomorrow to look forward to......yippee and as it's "bank holiday" it's gonna rain.