Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

71 miles this week.  Happy with that image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Yay, 10,000 posts! Welcome to all the newbies. You will love Paris marathon. I've just been lurking lately as congratulations to all the great running going on. Special note on getting your 41 miles dannirr!! That's amazing!

I'm on the bike at the moment in preparation for a trip to the french alps. Gonna bag some wee hill ascents.

I'm pretty sure that I won't run paris next year (3 yrs in a row may be enough) but will definitely be coming to support and that's all due to the awesome people on this forum. 

• Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be bringing up the rear in this. It's my first marathon and on my bucket list.

I've got 5:11 predicted time from the plan I set up in ASICS. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and preparing for the race. My running history is lots of slow 5 and 10ks. I've entered half marathons twice as part of my bigger goal of eventually running a marathon - I didn't get to the start line of either as I broke my big toe the first time and twisted my knee the second time. I feel like time is marching on so thought I would just cut to the chase.

My goal isn't time (so I really shouldn't be bothered that asics didn't predict 5 hours for me as that is what I had in my head) but just to finish (but hopefully faster that 5:11...)

• Another newbie - welcome Esther Tony , you will love Paris , if your going to do a marathon you may as well make it a big one , and they don't come much bigger or better than Paris , any advice , support , nagging you require over the next 11 months you can be assured we will supply it image
  • Congrats TinkerBel - you are now officially Queen of Cleats.

Dannirr, I cannot imagine completing that kind of mileage and 41 miles in one run I believe.....awesome running.  I hope you get some good sleeping in as well.

RS - yay!  Coming to Paris whether you're running or not.  I like your style.

Esther - you are in good company here, it's the journey that's important and sticking with this thread makes sure it's a good one.  You've had some nasty injuries, ouch!  Best of luck staying injury-free this year.

I went for a little 8 mile easy run yesterday and now my foot's hurting again.....26.2 miles last weekend without the slightest niggle, 8 miles this weekend and there's proper pain, Bah!!!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Nice one TinkerBEL!  Next to master is keeping both feet on the pedals while stationary at a traffic light image

• Hi all - got one of the emails saying can get in 2015 for 89E.  Is that a good price - also how easy is it to get a place - or is it like London - friend wants to join me.

• City fan - that's the lowest price you'll get, I think. It's easy enough to get in to Paris, but the longer you leave it, the more expensive it gets. The 'full price' for those who didn't go in to the ballot for the cheaper places will be 109 euros, which is much more expensive than last year.

Rest day for me today - feeling a little twitchy - it's Sunday, so I should be running image
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

RR - get some cross training inimage

• cheers Running Rodent - may give it a go.  Love Paris as a City is it nice course.

done by running today Sherrif 10K Scorton.  Lovely

• Meh, I've just done a week of hardcore low-cal dieting, only ran once and have been getting more and more twitchy as the week went on, today I've knocked the ridiculous diet on the head (although it was very effective) and will be running tomorrow morning, hurrah! Weight-loss is such a chore, but I've got a 2st target to chase and it won't lose itself unfortunately, boooo!

City Fan - Paris is easy to get in to, just costs more later on. It's a great race though. The only downside for me (other than the portaloos of course) is that Paris is so darn expensive, but that hasn't got anything to do with the race of course. At least transport in Paris is spot on.

• Benign - What has your husband disliked about the idea? The fact that you'll be away for the w/end or the fact that it's 4 months of you slogging the streets whilst he's sat at home?! I was expecting a bit of resistance from my husband for Loch Ness too but it ended up swinging in exactly the opposite direction altogether!

Tinkerbel - congrats on your bike ride. The last time I rode a bike (well over 5 years ago) I fell off, went straight over the handlebars (and basket, naturally!!), haven't bothered to get back on since, absolutely no need for me to ever ride a bike!!

• Hi everyone, especially newcomers to the thread/ and-or marathon running specifically. Stick around, there's much fun, encouragement and advice shared here throughout the year. I am leaving it to the last moment on Tuesday to pay my Paris entry fee, hanging on to my money as long as possible.

Ordinarily, I usually sign up late in November. Although I can remember paying as little as 65EUR one year. Can't remember when that was but this will be my 6th Paris Mara as a runner, with one extra as a supporter.

27k in the bag today, 2:04 I think. Horrific to think that some people can do the extra 15kms in that time. I think apart from running in Paris, that's the only long run I've done in 7 weeks but it's time to put a bit more running mileage back in to the legs.

• 3 miler yesterday felt good after my back injury up allotment and not being able to run for 10 days !?! But then did a 10.8 miler on TRAIL this morning with club - had a bit of knee pain !?! Went for a swim arrived at pool at 12.15 to find pool shut at 12.30 due to a gala got a swift 10 laps in - enough for my TRI a Tri in June in Bristol xxx went up allotment knee playing up using petrol mower but by the time I came 

• Home knee fine x does that mean just have to keep pushing x lol and had a wee bike ride in between x so admire TB and cleats x I would be constantly falling off !?!?

• OK 2015 - am in!!!!  Should I start carb-loading yet??

• city fan - no, not yet. Bloody calm down.

Tricky - glad to hear that you'll be back for another Paris. Are you also up for another Tinkerbell, oh Queen of Cleats?

I'm very excited -a combination of reverse psychology and home cooking has made Mr Bm say Yes! to  Loch Ness - in fact he's coming with me to support and have a mooch around image. He would never really have tried to veto it - he just wanted to make a point about how much time the training takes up.

• looking forward to it - marathon in one of my favourite cities - just need to get this 1/2 iron man out of the way in 4 weeks 1st.   Officially retired from marathon running after getting my 1st sub 4 hr at windermere (3.59 - in 2013 - 1st marathon was 5 hr 5 in 2008) - looking forward to training those long runs again and getting back into shape.

• Welcome all newbies, you've come to the right place for advice, information and some of it on running. 

City Fan - which 1/2 ironman are you doing?

I ahve had a very lazy week end after my double LSR onThursday and Friday- 25 miles running,7 walkng Thurs followed by 20 mile LSR followed by 8 miles walking on Friday. Surprisingly ok yesterday so only walked 4 miles and finally got my butt out in the torrential rain today for a mere 10k. 

My first Garmin is on  Its way after my Nike waych battery has died. Looking forward to getting it, if I ever manage to get it to work! 

I hope everyone has a good Bank Holiday. image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hello lovely new people, it wont be long until this place feels like your second home - unless you've already got a 2nd home.......

Tell us some stories, sing us some songs - ok, maybe not the songs image

By way of warning, I did my last 20 miler today and I am now tapering for Liverpool. Woo hoo, taper madness. Sorry folks 

• Hi Kaz1 - Outlaw 1/2 - Nottingham.  Seemed like good idea in September!!!

• city fan - Paris is truly lovely; worth coming out of 'retirement' for image

Kaz - seem to remember it took me 12 hrs of swearing to get my Garmin to work. Worth it in the end though.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Taper madness for me too Orbutt this week on the run up to the Leeds half, just about got myself in the right condition following reverse taper from Paris 

• Public service announcement - Charlie Spedding's book on 'How I became a marathon champion' is on today's Kindle daily deal for 99p.
  • BM - I'd better buy the children ear plugs if there is to be more swearing than normal! 

I must really start reading the books I download RR.... But that will be another one for the collection! image 

Enjoy the taper madness Orbutt and Andy W. RR and Danni how long is your taper for Comrades?? 

• City fan - Outlaw half is on my to-do list for 2025. Looking forward to a full report. You'll love Paris.

BM - welcome to the Monster Raving Loch Ness Party.

• 2025 McPerky? You certainly are planning ahead!image

• Hi to all the new folks

May 5: Bluebell Trail 10 - Dirty Leeds Rob.
    May 10: Rat Race Dirty Weekend - Roger Reid.
    May 11: Beverley 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Bristol 10k - Matty Warr. Glasgow Women's 10k - ATM. Leeds Half - Andy W. Oxford 10k - Agent Penguin, O Rapid Run. Porthkerry 5-miler - Mrs Bruffy. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday. Helensburgh 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter.
    May 17: Simon MacPerky's birthday.
    May 18: Aberdeen 10k - Simon MacPerky. Blenheim 7k - O Rapid Run. Brussels 20k - Yer Maj. Hornsey 10k - Jimbob. Lochwinnoch 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter. North Norfolk Half - Keyser Suze. Paris-St Germain 20k - PC, Tartan Pimpernel. St Anne's Tri - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    May 22: Apperley Bridge 10k - Andy W. Clydebank 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter.
    May 23: Suzy L's birthday.
    May 24: Inverness Championships - Minikaz2.
    May 25: Edinburgh Marathon - Whackers. Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt, Wrexham Rob. London 10K -Jimbob, Lloyd R, Matty Warr, Natty, O Rapid Run, Radar Sal, Uncus Christus. Ox Marathon - Maxs Mum. Poitiers Marathon - Elizabeth.
    May 29: Dunbarton 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter. Troi Rocs - One Tit, Tartan Pimpernel.
    May 31: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Emmy, Jimbob, Yer Maj. Stockholm Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, Running Rodent. Regents Park 10k - Jellybum.
    Jun 7: Bedgebury 10k - Natty.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt. Two Castles 10k - Matt Leydon. Vale of Leven 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter.
    Jun 9: Blaydon Race - Iain, OO51.
    Jun 11: Portumna Half - ATM.
    Jun 14: Tough Mudder: Helterskelter, Scott.
    Jun 15: Hoy Half - Kaz.
    Jun 18: Accrington Coppice 5-miler - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Jun 21-22: Hadrian's Wall - Booktrunk, Kaz, Roger Reid, Weedy. Trail Marathon Wales - Tartan Pimpernel.
    Jun 22: Freckleton Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Hackney Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jun 28: Cotswold Way Relay - Benign Murmurring. Giant's Head Marathon - Dirty Leeds Rob, Elizabeth, Emmy, Keyser Suze, Maxs Mum, Radar Sal, Suzy L, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Jun 29: Torbay Half - Heroine in a Half Shell.
    Jul 5: Corrieyarick Duathlon - Uisge Jo.
    Jul 6: Edgehill Half - Matt Leydon.
    Jul 10: Running Rodent's birthday. Whackers' birthday.
    Jul 11-13: Coast-to-Coast Crossing - Roger Reid.
    Jul 13: Lytham Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Surrey Badger Half - Natty.  Marathon - Mrs Bruffy.
    Jul 19: Loch Lomond Tri - ATM, Helterskelter, Scott W, Simon MacPerky.
    Jul 20: Leeds 10k - Andy W.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday. Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 27: Outlaw Half Ironman - City Fan. Wimbledon Common Half - Yer Maj.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tinkerbel's birthday.
    Aug 2: Devil O' The Highlands - Kaz, Weedy. Round the Rock Ultra - Princess Fiona. Virgin London Tri - Wiola.
    Aug 18: Andy W's birthday.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon MacPerky.
    Aug 23-24: Hood to Coast Challenge -Danni.
    Sep 7: Cheltenham Half - Heroine in a Half Shell, O Rapid Run. Chippenham Half - Benign Murmurring. Great North Run - Andy W, Whackers. Kenilworth Half - Matt Leydon.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 13-14: Scotland Coast-to-Coast - Roger Reid.
    Sep 14: Cologne Half - Iain. Purbeck Marathon - Maxs Mum.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Ladybower 50-miler - Booktrunk. Richmond Half - NGUG. Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Berlin Marathon - Whaqatac. Ealing Half - Jimbob. Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Booktrunk, Eggy, Helterskelter, Heroine in a Half Shell, Jokeybhoy, Kaz, Keyser Suze, Mr Keyser Suze, Running Rodent, Scott the Walker, Simon MacPerky, Suzy L, Tartan Pimpernel, Uisge Jo, Weedy. Paris 10k - ATM.
    Oct 4: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, Dark Vader, Iain, Tricky Dicky,

• ...Oct 4: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, Dark Vader, Iain, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Oct 5: Blenheim Half - Agent Penguin, O Rapid Run, Roundman. Bournemouth Marathon - Run With The Wind. Brussels Marathon - Weedy. Cardiff Half - Defender Jo, Defender Ken, Mrs Bruffy. Chester Marathon - Kirsten Lancs Lass, This is Natty, Wrexham Rob.
    Oct 6: 1T's birthday.
    Oct 12: Princess Fiona's birthday. Aviemore Half - Uisge Jo. Yorkshire Marathon - Andy W.
    Oct 13: Rach M in Aus's birthday.
    Oct 19: Abingdon Marathon - Chownsie, Jimbob, O Rapid Run, Stuchbury. Amsterdam Marathon - Hatter 88, KO, Lloyd R, NGUG, Spitfire. Denver Marathon: Orbutt. Duke City Marathon - Tinkerbel, Tricky Dicky. Great Birmingham Run - Leggy Mountbatten, Mat Leydon.
    Oct 25: Beachy Head Marathon - Emmy.
    Oct 26: Bois de Vincennes Half - ATM. Great South Run - Whackers. Marseilles-Cassis 20k - One Tit. Stort 30-miler - Emmy. Toulouse Marathon - Elizabeth E.
    Oct  28: Stort 30 - Emmy.
    Nov 2: Droitwich Half - Roundman. Leeds Rob's birthday. New York Marathon - Danni.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 8-9: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Nov 9: Lytham 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Nov 11: Valencia Marathon - Will Run For Food.
    Nov 23: Norwich Half - Keyser Suze, Mr Keyser Suze.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 30: Florence Marathon - Jellybum.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Aaron's birthday, Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: Tartan Pimpernel's birthday.
    Feb 5-8: Quadzilla - Emmy, Weedy.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 13-15: Balmoral run training weekend - Tartan Pimpernel.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 12: Brighton Marathon - Lloyd R. Paris Marathon - Peter Gibbons, Milton Waddams, Bill Lumbergh.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday. Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 28: Maxs Mum's birthday.