Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Kaz - I'm doing a 4 week taper, following a well known plan.  Interestingly, there's nothing over 10 miles. I think that's kinda weird - might extend some of those to 12-15 miles.

• Interesting Danni.... Now I am questioning mine even further! It has a b2b 24 and 20  three weeks out, then a 20 and 5 two weeks out. Think I ,ay rejig so the 24-20 are 4 weeks out and reduce the 20-5 to 15-5?? Thoughts??image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - Would the four week taper with low mileage not be working off the extra down time being more valuable at this point in training than time on your feet for an event like Comrades?

Kaz - I wouldn't run a 20 two weeks before a marathon to avoid fatigue, so I'd question why you would do it for an ultra.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Kaz - I'm no expert, but I do think you need lots of recovery time from that kind of mileage. I think the 24/20 3 weeks out is probably ok (RR is doing a 36 3 weeks out from Comrades), but a 20/5 2 weeks out seems too much.  

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Eggy - Perhaps.  I think the thinking of this plan, unlike a traditional marathon plan where I am doing longer runs still until 2 weeks prior to the race, is that this plan is designed for a safe Comrades finish and not to race the event.  These 4 weeks are still decent mileage - each is about 30 miles until the last week.

• Ok thanks..... Trying to trust the plan but....!image

• Oops, 2015 for the Outlaw half! In 2025 I'll be drawing my pension.

And I'll be doing full IMs by then....

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Eggy - here is the final month's plan and explanation:

http://www.alsoranrunners.info/May14CG.htm

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - That makes sense to me. You've put in a huge amount in training, so a longer taper before an event like that seems sensible to me in terms of starting injury free and rested. Well as sensible as signing up to run 89km can be!

• Ideally I would have done the 36 miler this weekend and had a four week taper too, but I wanted more time to recover from Boston. I have an 18 miler 2 weeks out, but I'm thinking I might cut that back, maybe to 16.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Basically, I think the work is done in terms of endurance. Now it's stay healthy and keep the legs moving.  Nutrition is also key now I think.  DV?

• Hello to the newbie's, happy Tapering folks!

Tinkerbel - I'd been doing really well with my cleats, then fell over a wall last week... it was ice-cream related... sort of, at least I gave the queue of cars next to me a giggle!

Radar Sal - alpine bike climbs sound like fun - what all are you doing (if I'm allowed to ask this on a running forum!)

BM - see you in at Loch Ness, I'm not sure I'll be staying in Inverness, but should be about for a meet up after - and maybe some carb loading the night before?

This weekend Mr UJ and I competed as a team in a local duathlon, it was great fun, although most competitors were from the organising triathlon club we were expecting to be last! But Mr UJ pulled a stormer in the first bike leg, overtaking 14 people (staggered start every minute, reverse seeding) and the third bike into T1. My "fun run" mindset had a quick rejig, as I felt the need to keep up the great start.

Run leg was just shy of 10 miles, with a downhill start and then flat along the river, which I managed in 1h14, a significant improvement over that distance (turns out mara training works!). It was a really different run then 'normal' races as I was 2nd runner out of T1 - I'm used to being much much further back down the pack, and hadn't realised the extra effort that keeping up the pace takes when there aren't other folk around! My time by far wasn't the quickest (sub-1hr times, from folk that had done a 38m bike ride first), but it was fun being out in front!

Mr UJ was then back on the bike for the final leg and we were first across the line. Results not up yet so not sure where we finished in the end (about 15mins behind the team winners), but a grand day out!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Uisge Jo - Well done to both of you. 1:14 for 10 miles! Wow!

As for cleats and cycling in general there's only one rule you need to remember. There are cyclists that have fallen off and there are cyclists who have yet to fall off!

• Thanks Eggy, I was quite surprised, my watch had it as 9.6M, I'm delighted, my only other 10M race in July last year was 1.27! quads are super sore today, I think from gunning down the hill in the first couple of miles!

• Uisge Jo - fantastic team effort there image

• Just registered for Loch Ness! image Its going to be interesting seeing what the training is like during the summer months - lots of early mornings needed I suspect. I'm going to be off-road for about half of the training at least. Those hills don't look too bad on the profile - maybe the reality is different? image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Uj - it's a skeddadle trip. Intro to alps climbs or something like that. Finishes with alp d'huez climb! Should be fun image

• UisgeJo - I think this forum has proved over the years that pretty much any kind of question is acceptable!

I have a little 169km sportif ride planned for Saturday. So you are going to do the 21 bends of Alpe d'Huez then Radar Sal... That's a very impressive challenge to undertake. I won't ask what goal time targets you are setting for yourself.

• I have done Alpe d'Huez 3 times.

in a bus...

• UJ and Mr UJ - storming effort from the pair of you - well done image.

Post Boston lazing about well and truly over here, 14 miles done this afternoon. Dodging bikes and assorted hipsters lazing around by the Regent's Canal. Nice day for it. And I had a Magnum at the end. Mint, since you ask.

• Talking of magnums, it's 4 weeks since Paris and I am still carb loading. Pork pies, scotch eggs and other such delicacies. Just call me MacPorky.

It all stops tomorrow!

• Dannirr wrote (see)

Basically, I think the work is done in terms of endurance. Now it's stay healthy and keep the legs moving.  Nutrition is also key now I think.  DV?

Hydration, electrolyte replacement and nutrition are critical.   Get these wrong and your day will be over sooner than you'd like.  Your stomach needs to learn how to digest real food on the move.  It's going to be hot, so you will lose salts as well as fluids and these will need to be replenished too.  Don't just drink fluids without electrolyte intake or you will dilute what you do have and that will make matters worse.  Practice, practice, practice...

• DV - have you had any experience of Hammer Endurolytes tablets? They seem a good option for travelling light, so you can just use the water provided and take the electrolytes in tablet form, rather than the nuun type tablets that you have to dissolve in water. I've tried using them, but I haven't really had a long hot run so I can't tell how effective they are. I'm hoping not to have to use a Camelbak in the race.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RR - that's exactly what I'm taking along.  I plan on using about one an hour (which is less than their prescribed dosage).  Interestingly, an article int he latest UltraRunning magazine says electrolyte replacement in events under 12 hrs is not necessary.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

TD - goal times? Ok, sit down.  This is gonna be a shock for you...I have none. 100% don't care how long it takes me. I will be checking out the views, may even stop to take some photos and be generally enjoying the experience.image there's a few other famous climbs too but can't remember the names. There's 6 cycling days with 2 ascents a day. Kms from 80-110 per day with daily ascent from 2000m to 3200m. I shall have thighs of steel.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

*peers in*

Hello everyone... I'd love to stop and chat but i'm buried under a heap of admin work.

*waves*

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hellloooooo emmy *waves back*

• Hello Emmy...

RS - I was looking for the like button but then realised wrong site! image

Back to work today after my 5 days off, and honestly I didn't realise how much I needed the rest! Only doing training instead of work and training has made me feel so much better. But on a positive note I now realise how tiring my work actually Is! image

• BM - I'm glad you were able to win your husband round for Loch Ness!

Loch Ness runners/supporters - there are various cabins and self-catering rentals etc scattered around the Loch, cheaper than getting the Premier Inn in Inverness and if you get on the non-race side of the Loch then you can get picked up by the bus a lot later in the morning, so you don't have to be in your gear from the crack of dawn!

Having finished a horrid diet-week last week I am back up and running today, hurrah! Lost 7lbs but was considering eating my young at one point! Having just eaten really healthily (and enjoyed it) for the last 2 days I am feeling a bit more positive that this time I am going to lose weight and keep it off. I need to make a few life-style changes, obviously I've already tackled the sedentary part of my life, but the eating all-day every day needs to stop, I've already proved that just cutting out cakes, biscuits and chocolate isn't enough (didn't make any difference on the scales at all strangely) and I know it's because of my awful portion control and snacking on rubbish.

Ran 7 miles with the dog this morning and pushed on in the places where pre-Paris I would've let myself slack off (just being happy that I was running more than 3 miles!). It was scorching, I've got tan-lines from just below the knee as I wore my Capri-leggings, I'm going to look like a pirate! image