Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• *Boston Alert*

BOSTON -- Registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon will open on Monday, September 9, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. ET. The B.A.A. will use the same process to register qualified runners as it used in the 2012 and 2013 Marathons, allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first.

Registration will be held entirely online atwww.baa.org. The qualification window for the 2014 Boston Marathon began last year on September 22, 2012.

• Great - I get to enter on Friday 13th image.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

ATM - Thank you, it would fit in nicely.  image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    PC - wrote (see)

Emmy - Do you have any Marathons end of November/early December which aren't already on the list ?  Still the holidays in France but the organisators for my marathon are playing dead, it seems only 250 lonely souls run 2 laps in the wilderness.  The Egnima would have been perfect but they're full. Could bother TJB but Valencia is an complicated option. At the moment I'm just looking for a back up plan.

There's a couple of "maybe's" on the list now you come to mention itimage

Does that help?

• Migrant - I'll keep it brief so as not to sound like an old record, but in my mind, New York marathin is hugely overrated (hyped?) as an event. The crowds in London are better, the organisation in almost any European mara is far superior, the sheer inconvenience of getting on to Staten Island and hanging around for HOURS in the freezing cold before the start is dreadful and frankly, it should be renamed the Brooklyn plus a few other places Dunkin Donuts Tour. It isn't pretty and you only get one iconic view of Lower Manhattan from out in the bay right at the start. By the end, I actually hated the event, which as a positive-minded person, really suprised me.

Went to the physio again this evening and he actually found a trigger point in my hamstring this time, which seems to be responsible for referring pain in to the tendon on the Fibular head (small lower leg bone behind the knee). Could be getting somewhere now. I want to run, I want to race, I want to train baby!

• Pc come n join Valencia pal, we have pottermoss as well, Los Tres Stoogos!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

PC- Me, too. I'll look for you on the Start. I'll be the staggeringly beautiful young woman who looks like a gazelle....

Oh, wait...

• A warm welcome Migrant.

Got home at 3am today after a very long and tiring journey. Enjoying the cooler weather....

RR - my qualifying 'cushion' of  28 seconds means I can't apply for Boston until Monday 16th Sept. Not holding out too much hope.

• One thousand posts already , And the  Paris marathon isn't even open for business yet !!

• image STSFTWW  - have you been sitting with your finger hovering over the 'submit' button to get the 1,000th post? image

MacP - they've increased the field size to 36,000, which is substantially more than in previous years, so you never know.

Eggy - I'm very much looking forward to the Millport ferry. A trip round the duty-free shop, four course dinner, maybe take in a show...

• Well done TD.

Anyone heard from Suze after her hen do? You out there Suze? Speak to us.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Scott, honey....this thread is never *closed* for business....

I've just dug up 97 spuds.  Just in case you haven't seen this announcement on fb.  It was on the news, just ahead of the latest update from Syria....

• RR - I saw the glory ,  I took the glory ,,, all praise the artist formaly known as Scott the walker , shameless glory hunter 

the good people of cumbrae won't know what's hit them when we take over the island and proclaim Her Maj rightfull ruler 

YM - 97 spuds ,,, is that one each ??

• Great info on new York   Thank you. You may have just saved me an awful lot of cash. So how does Paris compare? I'm guessing it's better because you all keep going! 

Is London as good as I keep telling my legs it will be? Which marathon do you all regard as the best bet for a slow newbie who wants an occasion(and a great holiday??) and not just a race? 

Thanks again, never expected so many offers of help and such a genuine response. Hey, I've even found a way to (not) run for just 5000 quid!! 

• Migrant, Paris and London are both awesome for different reasons. London for atmosphere and organisation is second to none. It's loaded with fundraising participants so its not necessarily the quickest course unless you start from a quick pen. Paris is scenic and a fast course with well organised pens so not too congested. Plus we will all be there en masse so you are bound to have a laugh.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Migrant - London will always hold a special place in my heart as it was my first but Paris trumps it. I've run 24 marathons so far and my favourite is still Paris and although a lot of that is to do with the people on the forum who I eventually ran with (thank you RS, DV, Maus and Audrey) but because the route was so fantastic. I was told by a friend that running Paris now is like running London 10-15 years ago. There's still the chance for a fast time but a thoroughly friendly and supportive atmosphere.

YM - 97?! Are you feeding Wales now? image

• Welcome Migrant!

TD is right (as he so often is). 

I trained through summer for the Paris Marathon 2012. It was my first and I had no time goal - only to finish. I started my training for 2013 in Australia, but then relocated to the Isle of Man (which you will see described as the Isle of Maus from time to time). I liked it that much that I HAD to find a way to do it again!

Summer of 2011/12 was very mild and I found training no problem. 2012/13 was a bit different. Very hot in comparison and I struggled getting the long runs in. But I'm terrible at running in the morning, so if you can do this, you'll be fine.

I arrived in Paris on the Thursday before the event, but had already been in Europe for a couple of weeks. As Dannirr said, you do have an advantage coming in to the cooler weather. But it did make choosing kit a little trickier. 

All in all, it was super easy. I've found the European/UK organisation of races surpasses Australian organisation by a considerable amount.

Jus T will hopefully pitch in with comments as well. There are others on the thread who travel long distances for Paris too, so you are not alone in your quest.

I also agree with Jimbob's comments. The atmosphere in London is fabulous. But Paris is Paris! And this forum is simply the bestest bunch of people you will find.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

• Migrant - I've only done Paris, but I can't rate it highly enough.

You get to go to Paris and do all the sightseeing/wandering round the city stuff
    Pre-race thread shenanigans with this lot
    Start of the race just down from the Arc de Triomphe
    First mile running along the Champs Elysees
    Running past some incredible buildings and landmarks
    Well organised race
    Great crowd support
    Great build-up as you come in to the finish
    After-race thread shenanigans with this lot

But the most important plus is you get to hang out with this bunch of folks on here - they're an incredible group of people and I've made some friendships here that I hope will last a lifetime.

• Ok. I'm convinced!!!! Paris sounds amazing!! I've ditched all thoughts of new York now. If I get a spot for London (and a flying pig to go with it??!!) then I'll run London.  If not, then it's Paris here I come!! 

Now all I need to do is shave a week off the beginners marathon programme I just started so that illbe ready ish in time! 

ATM please can I have your info pack? 

Can anyone else please help me with cheap accommodation ideas? I need me, teen daughter and husband. One room to share is fine. 

Will also need cheap accom in uk around race time, possibly furnished flat or similar. Three weeks ish. Ideally Herts area as that's where my family live. Any ideas?

Thank you so much. Really looking forward to it now!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Migrant, have a look at airbnb.com for cheap flats/accommodation for both London and paris. A few of us are getting apartments instead of hotels to reduce the cost.

Stick around here and you'll have plenty of people to talk to and maybe someone to run with if you fancy it. We're all very different speeds (TD has run a sub 3, a lot have run sub 4/5hrs)

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Migrant wrote (see)

Ideally Herts area as that's where my family live. Any ideas?

Hemel Hempstead has been awarded the title of Uglist place in UK, a must to visit !   It depends on where in Herts your family are, try towns with trains stations as I presume you'll be spending time London.

Emmy - great info.  It's a back up plan. Orleans is only an hour away but if I'm going to be running on my own, sparse support and few water stations.  I might as well go to Paris, although I could get arrested if I pee on the Champs Elysee.  Valencia is an not an easy option but not ruled out.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

PC - RS and I have peed on the Champs Elysee and we never got arrested image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Migrant - I agree with the comments made about Paris and London by others. I ran both this year and they are both great events.

Personally I think Paris has the better course. Starting on the Champs Elysée is really a very special place to start your marathon adventure. It's certainly more of a runners race and despite the number of people running it's easy enough to get into your stride. For me it has a good mix of city, sights and parks to keep it varied and interesting. The crowds aren't as big as London, but it's still well supported on most areas of the course. Seeing the Arc de Triomphe in the background at the finish is rather nice too.

The crowds supporting are certainly bigger at London and running over Tower Bridge is a real wow moment. The start area in London is better organised in terms of facilities (toilets they have some), but the opening few miles of London are pretty much impossible to get running at your own tempo due to the sheer volume of people and fairly narrow roads at the start. I had to navigate around folk walking within the first couple of hundred metres. The finish into the Mall is great though.

I'd say both are great races and either are well worth planning a big trip for if you want something special as your marathon début.

What Paris wins hands down is this very thread. Great people who are very helpful, no matter if it's training, daft jokes, or just proving some encouragement when you need it. For first timers it's also good to ease the pre-race nerves with the breakfast run and pre-dinner meet-ups as well as the traditional post-race party to celebrate with that finishers medal around your neck.

• Me and her Marvellous Mausness from last weekend, somewhere near the finish of our 22km trail race.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Descente_de_La_Lesse_2013_08_25_Richard_and_Alison.jpg

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Maus is that a smile or a grimace, love?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Did everyone wear white shirt, black shorts?   Seems like it in this picture.  

• MM - that was kind of you to help that poor old man across the line image.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Tricky, is that a canoe, or are you pleased to see Maus?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Maus - lookin' fab.

Tricky - lookin'.......Ticky.

Lovely picture guys

• Maus, sorry for being honest but that race number is all over the place ..... Sort it out girl!