Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Hi all, sorry for lack of participation in this thread lately. Edinburgh beckons in the next couple of weeks and I have been doing my homework on that over the past couple of weeks. Welcome to the newbies, more and more everytime I come on here.

I will keep you posted on the outcome of that but I'm going to bust a gut to get under 5 hours.

Speak soon all

• Radar Sal - that sounds awesome, but knackering!!

Dani / RR - given the stories (I know they're relatively rare) of people suffering hyponatremia in marathons, surely something would be needed during 12 hours, particularly in a hot country?

Heroine - good work!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

HIAHS - arrrrghhh. Shiver me tanlines.

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

TD - goal times? Ok, sit down.  This is gonna be a shock for you...I have none. 100% don't care how long it takes me. I will be checking out the views, may even stop to take some photos and be generally enjoying the experience.image there's a few other famous climbs too but can't remember the names. There's 6 cycling days with 2 ascents a day. Kms from 80-110 per day with daily ascent from 2000m to 3200m. I shall have thighs of steel.

Chapeau Radar Sal. That's a lot of climbing on consecutive days. You'll certainly be shredding your quads there. Good for you! I really like the idea of a week of climbing (I love the downhills too - am a bit of a speed freak on the quiet!). Several of my pals all do a spring week training camp in Majorca for biking. Hitting big hills every day. I just get the benefit of riding with them when they come back foit AND suntanned.

I look pale, inferior and old in comparison. Sigh. But on the bright side, got a good impromptu intervals session in tonight. 500m hard then 500m more relaxed (but not letting the heart rate drop too much). Just over 10k done, average pace was around marathon pace, peaked around 96-97% MHR. This way to fitness. Will be nice when I get there again.

Me and TinkerBEL paid up for Paris2015 tonight. Held on to our money as long as we could.

• There appears to be a lot of bike talk just now

Here's my two cents worth - went for a 10km ride round my local loch followed by a two mile run,,, yes I realise it's a mix of metric and imperial but that's just me , odd and slightly confused

time = slow

heart rate = just above resting

Lungs = still inside me ,,, just

Emmy - waves

RS - awesome trip and hope you enjoy it

TD TB - should've held on a few months longer , it won't sell out for ages yet

Whackers - enjoy Edinburgh ,, it's not Paris though ,
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RS - hyponatremia almost always results from over drinking, not over sweating.  The whole issue of electrolyte replacement is very controversial.  Metanalysis of hundreds of studies have shown no benefit to using any electrolytes at all.

• Cheers Dannirr, interesting, does the analysis suggest that taking electrolytes is bad for you/does damage? I guess as with so many things its the companies that sell the products that hype them up, rather than an independent source of info about them being needed or not.

Brick session Scott, nice - how did the legs cope with the post bike run, mine tend to have to be reminded that one foot goes in front of the other!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

There is some evidence that overdoing electrolytes inhibits performance, but it's not strong evidence.

• A non-Paris related question for the Caledonian Massive.

Myself and Mr BM will have two days and a night to idle away after the Lochness Marathon. We're flying back from Glasgow late on Tuesday. We're thinking of hiring a car and either driving down through the Great Glen to Fort William OR going via the Cairngorms. We're after scenery and a bit of walking (gentle for me). Any views on which way is loveliest?

• Great Glen to Fort William is really nice, but so are he Cairngorms! Great Glen wins everytime for me thou! Maybe threw in a wee trip up Ben Nevis whilst in Fort William?!image

• Yep, Mr BM keeps mentioning Ben Nevis. I Have to keep reminding him I'll have just run a marathon image You could take that in your stride Kaz, but not me image Is there a cable car image ??

• If I were you, I'd go via the Braemar/Ballater/Balmoral direction. Lots of nice scenery, plenty of gentle forest walks, or you could go up Lochnagar if you fancy something more adventurous. Or stop off at Coylumbridge and wander about the foothills of the Cairngorms. Don't stay in Aviemore though, it's a bit grim.

• TBH BM Ben Nevis isn't that bad. A few years ago I climbed up and down within 4 hours, then went up the next day with the girls( at their request). Alannah was still in Primary School, so Naomi must of been 8 or 9. There is a cable car to the top of one of the other 'hill'which takes you to the top of the mountain bike path down. We have always spoken about  doing it, but never been brave enough! image

• TinkerBEL - thanks for the sound advice (which was PAGES ago, and about keeping to a slower pace during more of my runs). I do in fact do lots of my running beyond talking pace, because I'm with people who are faster. A case in point: last night was a recovery run with club members. We’d all raced at the weekend – most half-marathon, with a couple of marathons and 10ks (one was me) thrown in. Anyway. What for the others was a gentle jog at chatting pace following a 15-min track workout was mind-blowingly exhausting for me! Mind you, I did get my fastest 10k time to date on Sunday (1:07:53) thanks to a generous and far more able club member pacing me throughout. Still not exactly speedy, but I'm improving! Have done precisely three 10ks so far, ever.

So in future I’ll be doing a long slow run each weekend at my pace to complement the club runs (which I love for the company, and because group running actually gets me out of the door even if the weather stinks). I guess some strength exercises wouldn’t come amiss, either, if I want to be ready for April in Paris.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

BM - I'd say the A82 road down to Glasgow is the scenic route and offers a few nice places that you can stop off and enter tourist mode. It is worth noting that you will get stuck behind a caravan doing about 20mph on that road at some point though. You need to stop at The Drovers for a pint and a bit to eat if you come down that road though.

The Cairngorms are awesome, but the rest of that road down to Glasgow (A9) isn't particularly interesting. The likes of Dunkeld and Pitlochry are nice to stop off in, but other than that it's pretty much motorway traffic. Actually there's a really nice gentle walk at the back of Dunkeld that is lovely if you get a nice day and the town itself has some great wee coffee and cakes places. You could always cut across country at Perth and hit the A85 to head over to the A82, as that can be a nice drive if you aren't in a rush. If you do that route stop off at the chip shop in Comrie, they do a fantastic fish supper.

One thing to remember if you are thinking of hillwalking is that one the larger climbs (Ben Nevis) you are starting to hit the time of year where is can be nice at the bottom, but hellish weather at the top. Just check the weather reports before you decide to take something like that on.

• Thanks for the suggestions, I'm enjoying mulling them over, especially where they involve food and drink image Mr BM currently checking out getting a coach to Fort William and then the West Highland Line train onwards. This looks good too but maybe much less flexible? and I now want a pint at The Drovers

• Comrie..... I must really go visit Alan's Parents. I think the last time I was there was the year he came to Paris! image Strathearn Marathon anyone??

BM - Harry Potter train??

• Scott - yes I could have hung on longer but it would hve involved paying almost 33% more for the pleasure. I'm not going to fire up a future discounting model to know that it's worth paying now rather than in 4 months time

;-)

Am I the only one to think that because ASO have shifted forward applications for next year's marathon, that we also ought to roll forward the launch of the Paris Marathon 2015 thread, so that newcomers quickly find us?

• Kaz, Yes, but I think that the Harry Potter bit is from Fort William to Mallaig. Still looks an amazing train ride though. I think we are looking at driving down the Great Glen, maybe going up some of Ben Nevis if the weather is good, dumping the car in FW and taking that train on to Glasgow. Cairngorms will have to wait for another time (spellchecker wants to change it to rainstorms).

We may change our minds loads between now and then - its just nice to plan ahead and to have Mr BM being enthusiastic imageimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Entered last night. Gulp.

Plan is to go with the family, and have been looking at apartments near Arc de Triomph. Do people usually book them up this early? Any other hotel recommendations for a family of three? Also - would prefer to get train really, but living in Manchester I guess flying is cheaper/faster.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

15West - It's early to book accommodation, but possibly with these earlier places being sold it might be worth checking out what's available around the Arc.

• BM - yes we did that train from FW to Mallaig a few years ago..... Really nice scenic route which was just as well as the train broke down! Its nice to make plans. We are driving down either Fri evening or Sat morning (depending on who's going) then back Monday afternoon for evening ferry. My sister stays in Inverness somewhere so even of its only me and kids I am good for babysitter on Sunday!image

• Sunday night celebratory drinks then! image

• Tricky, I'm with you may be easier to start the 2015 thread sooner rather than later.

Just booked my accommodation, and my time off from work, I'm going for 5 days next year so I get to spend some time in Paris before the run. Already looking forward to cocorrans with Emmy, my drinking buddy.

• Well, it's all a bit quiet in here for the moment, so I took the time to set up the new Paris Maraton 2015 thread. Link here. It's been fun, it's been a blast. Thank you very much everyone. Let's turn the lights off here now and see you over in the new thread.

• Dannirr wrote (see)

RR - that's exactly what I'm taking along.  I plan on using about one an hour (which is less than their prescribed dosage).  Interestingly, an article int he latest UltraRunning magazine says electrolyte replacement in events under 12 hrs is not necessary.

The duration isn't the issue.   The issue is that it will be hot and you will use and lose a lot of fluids.  Just drinking water won't help.

I've done some very long runs in very hot weather and my advice to you is to include electrolyte replacement in your strategy.   

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Go for it. We've reached 10,000 posts. My runners ocd is satisfied. Don't forget to turn out the lights and redirect.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I haven't finished reading this one.... can i stay a little bit longer ?
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I have been giving the cadence thing a serious go on my past 3 runs.The 1st couple of runs it felt strange but today it felt more natural and also feels great on the knees,tho I've only been doing short 3 mile runs every 2 days as I'm concentrating on strengthening my core and legs at the moment.

It's funny that the talk the past 2 days has been about north of scotland.I just got told today that I'm working in Arisaig and staying in Fort william for a couple of weeks starting on Monday.
  • Hope you get better weather in Fort William next week JokeyBhoy. Boyfriend been there for past week at Scottish Six Day Trials, amd as normal it has rained most of the time! 

New thread BTW!