Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Great photo TD & MM !

looking forward to a shorter lsr this weekend ( 20k) and thank goodness, it was already 78 degrees F at 6:30 this morning:/.  

Good advise from orbutt! It took a bit of doing to reset my aso password but I think I have it now! 

YM- potatoes are my favorite food!! Looks like a good haul! Are you party people in Berlin this weekend? If so have a blast !!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Maus, sorry for being honest but that race number is all over the place ..... Sort it out girl!

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Maus, sorry for being honest but that race number is all over the place ..... Sort it out girl!

That's why I was so slow! I knew it!

JB: I can assure you that at that particular time, you could have shoved some knickers on my head and I would not have noticed. I was breathing and moving my feet and I don't remember much else! Besides. I didn't have the usual space and time to organise my number on my t-shirt and had to adapt my usual origami method for the circumstances.

YM: That is gritted teeth trying not to sob my little heart out with pain. At this particular moment, though, I think TD had spotted the camera and told me to smile. This was the best I could muster.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

+1 image.  Well notice TJB, it's disgraceful !

• Options

Maus your number's up! image

Lovely photo!

Weighing in to the London vs. Paris "thing"... I have done Paris 1.59 times, and London once. I set my PB in London and had the most fabulous experience. I'm certain I'm biased towards Paris (my first marathon) simply because of the atmosphere, the fact you're in PARIS and all the things that make the weekend special. London was much more about the race for me and less about having "an experience". With regards the support on offer, I'd say London is better (depth of support x percentage of course on which there is support) and that this comes at the right times - the only sparse areas in London are South of the river and thus early in the race. In Paris the Bois de Boulogne was a real low point as the support was relatively sparse and this was when I felt lowest. That said, if you're used to local races, then prepared to be blown away. Paris is wonderful. And it's the city of luuuuuurve don't you know?!

...just be careful who you meet.

• Options

Yes but the real reason why Paris is better than London is that there's proper bread and croissants and pain au chocolat and crepes and croque monsieurs and macaroons and patisseries.....I could go on.

• Options

Dannirr wrote (see)

Did everyone wear white shirt, black shorts?   Seems like it in this picture.  

Didn't we tell you? We're in training for the Penguin Marathon run in the North Pole at Christmas!

Running Rodent wrote (see)

MM - that was kind of you to help that poor old man across the line image.

OO50 wrote (see)

Tricky, is that a canoe, or are you pleased to see Maus?

He did try and bring his flagpole along...

TheEngineer wrote (see)

Maus your number's up! image

Lovely photo!

And it's the city of luuuuuurve don't you know?!

...just be careful who you meet.

Engineer - My number was up quite some time ago. It's appearance in this photo was purely symbolic.

Migrant, don't be dissuaded by this smutty innuendo. You're perfectly safe with us...

• Options

Maus, who said the smutty innuendo was a downside??? 

So will you all still talk to me if I do get a place for London and then do Paris in 2015?? Seeing as London is so over subscribed I've got to give it a go if I get the chance.

Now...... Drum roll please....... When I finished  c25k I was running 11min miles. Tonight's shortish run was 9.20 adv min miles. Ok, ok, I know it's still woeful and I'll be lucky to finish before dark, but I was pleased! At least it'll make you smile that 9.20 was an improvement and I'm still soooo slow! Never mind gels, I may take a tent with me. 

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Migrant - if this gives you any idea:  I always vowed never to run any marathon more than once - too many great ones to choose from so why go back again?    Well, last year I went back for the second time, and next year I'll probably do both Paris and London - just because I want to see all these people again.  And I'm coming from the US, so similar travel issues and costs to you image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Migrant - That's a great improvement and with further training you'll continue to improve. If you get a London spot you'd be as well doing it, as it's a nightmare to get a place for it. There are already a few London 2014ers on here.

helterskelter wrote (see)

Yes but the real reason why Paris is better than London is that there's proper bread and croissants and pain au chocolat and crepes and croque monsieurs and macaroons and patisseries.....I could go on.

Now we're  talking. image

• Options

Migrant: image You'll fit right in!

Congratulations on the time improvement!

Whilst we all aim to run Paris and it's how we got to know one another, even if we don't run, this thread remains our all-year-round running font of knowledge and entertainment. You may be accused of cheating on us, but we won't hold it against you.

In other words, stick around.

We have at least 3 Londoners so far, don't we?I know I need to hone my flashing technique to inspire Mr TD on the course...but who else is there? OO? Engineer?

• Options

Maybe you can all bring stale croissants to VLM and throw them at the rest of us if we dare to walk..... Could be the motivation I need

• Options
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

You hit the nail on the head Jimbob. She dared to criticise my number being attached to a wonky racebelt before the race. Also, I ensured she had an entire, flat, dry table top on which to perform her number attaching vorsprung durch technik without interruptions or comments. In the light of factual results, maybe Madame Maus will have to rethink her number pinning approach?

Not that I care one bit about it. She's adorable. And mine image 

Sorry for smugness.

• Options

It's part of her "community" service. 

The Jimbob wrote (see)

Bahhhaaaaa. I don't believe for one second that td left her alone for the allotted 20 min number alignment process. 

• Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

It's part of her "community" service. 

The Jimbob wrote (see)

Bahhhaaaaa. I don't believe for one second that td left her alone for the allotted 20 min number alignment process. 

These are only number alignment processes for half marathons. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's best I have accommodation in Paris alone next year, so as not to expose the full extent of pre-marathon alignment processes...

• Options

It reminds me a bit about this letter to one of those American agony aunt types:

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/6/61452/tgif-the-sex-maniac-L-IdeBD5.jpeg

• Options

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/1013405_10151809553140349_1540702468_n.jpg

Made me chuckle. image

• Options

Up at KOC..   can't sleep tonight...

• Options

Morning. How are the KOCers?

• Options

No KOCing about here, I'm just in a different timezone. Was planning on having a hard ride this morning with a bunch of nice chaps from the Brussels Triathlon Club but have decided I really will need a whole day for a plumbing job back at my house. Best be responsible ahead of pleasing myself. Have fun everyone.

• Options

KOC+4 - morning all

Woof, woof, bark, woof (that means good luck Boyska today for his first race) and good luck Emmy too image

• Options

Morning all. Very breezy here today, but it's dry. 

Heading out now for a gentle cycle to keep the legs loose ahead of tomorrow's Moray 10K.  The forecast for tomorrow  is warm and windy, and my running is pretty woeful at the moment, so it's going to be tough. My plan is to start off at 45 minute pace and see how long I can hang on....

Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend.

• Options

Its gale force winds and torrential rain here today, so I think it will be a tempo session on the dreadmill after work for me! Actully don't mind them anymore! image

Good luck to all racing this weekend or doing LSR's.

Have a good one everyone! image

• Options

Happy running all! I'm on my way to the airport to pick up my parents who arrive from Australia today. I haven't seen them since January! We have quite a lot to talk about. 

• Options

Just had an experimental 5 miles. Pacing was there at 35.50, but I am worried about all my aches over long distances. We shall see how long I last tomorrow image

• Options

On a more cheery I've booked my apartment for Paris. Hooray!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

BRF - no it's not Berlin this weekend, that's still 4 weeks away. In the meantime you have our Taper Madness to look forward to, when things may get a bit stranger than normal. 

Jimbob - as long as the aches and pains don't feel 'serious' then they're to be expected. You are at your training peak when you have put your body through an enormous amount of strain and your mind through quite a bit of stress. The Tapir is on his way. Your body bill repair its micro tears and strains, it will thank you for taking things a bit easier. Your mind will tell you you haven't done enough and you should do more - it lies.

if you want a bit of exercise for the mind, dig out a picture of 'Big' Jimbob and compare him to the Jimbob in compression socks. Look at the time you took for your first race and compare it to the pace of your LSR. Look at all of your medals - you have earned every single one of them through hard work and determination. 

Dont doubt yourself - you are an actual athlete. 

• Options

I took my tyre for a run this morning..  I did about two hours, which was roughly one hour with the tyre and one without.  It is so hard to run with it...  the friction is substantial and the lactate acid in the legs builds almost immediately.  I did 15 mins with, 15 mins without etc....

Intervals such as that was perfect...  each time I took the tyre off, I would sprint away faster than I'd normally run.  The whole thing was on sandy trails (some photos on FB) and it was a lovely sunny morning...   

• Options

DV  I hurt just thinking about running with a tyre.  And sand too?  You are mad ... in a good way though  image

24k for me this morning which takes me to 281.19k for August.  I'm taking off tomorrow.

Simon MacP  best of luck for tomorrow image

TJB  aches are just your body telling you how hard you have trained, you have broken through so many barriers recently it's normal.  Tapir carefully and you will smash Berlin.