Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• DV - you are a lunatic. Is there any particular reason why you're running with a spare tyre, other than worrying about a puncture in your Hokas?

TP - good running. At this rate running across Scotland is going to feel like a week off image.

And...(with apologies to those training for Berlin)...after 24 miles and a double caramel Magnum this morning I'M TAPERING!! Woohooimage. Jimbob - plenty of aches and pains here too, it's quite normal at this stage.

• Oh no, rr is in taper and we're havine tea and cake/muffins/scones and shit tomorrow. 

• the gel belt is fully loaded but i'm very nervous about tomorrow, and should be ... i pulled out of last week's 20 mile after 9 miles - lets see how far i can get tomorrow. Thanks for the supportive words Peeps. There's no way i'm in physically as good a place as i was in the Paris training, i am in a "quicker" place and already have lots of good training in the can, but 4 weeks out from the big one, i'm asking my body to let me do a few more tough-ish runs and then fix itself in time for the big day .... its a risky strategy - have to "listen" to the legs and do what they tell me.   

Enjoy your cake'n'shit tomorrow RR and RS. I will be digesting similar foods at Sophie's belated birthday bash (with 3 other schoolfriends) - it'll be about 50 kids and tonnes of sugary food = Joy!

• Hello, new here and hoping to make Paris 2014 my first marathon.  Looks like entries open 16 Sept: is that right and does anyone know what time it opens? Are there popular hotels for runners? Have decided against dragging the family out there with me on cost grounds.

• Kirsten welcome - Paris is fantastic - a great choice, and you have stumbled into the right place for all the info you will need. A lot of us have been around on here for years some of us are newer but carry like we have been here years ..... i went with the wife'n'kids this year, 2014 i'll be bringing them. Just booked an apartment to accomodate the four of us.

Yes seems like the race entry opens on 16th Sept - if i remember rightly it was 11am UK time (midday Paris time) and the website crashed for the first couple of hours. You will have no problem getting a place and make sure you follow a sensible training plan and really try to enjoy your first marathon - it is a mystical distance, not to be under-estimated.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Welcome Kirsten

18 miles done today.  From here on in the miles start to pile on!

• RR - the deed is done. For better or worse, I have officially entered Comrades.

• Hello again everyone, I've been out with a vile cough this week. Now I've totally lost my voice and husband has a most ridiculous smirk on his face! 

Hal Higdon, "you want to do what??!!" plan going ok though.

Goodluck to everyone racing. Please tell me I don't need to run witha tyre! Does my own spare tyre count?

• Dannir - proud of you mate. Looking forward to following yprogress. 

Welcome Kirsten. Paris was my first too and you couldn't have picked a better one. Don't worry too much about entering as soon as it opens as it doesn't sell out as quickly as others but it does get more expensive the longer you wait. 

As far as popular hotels for runners? I don't think there is a hub of any kind but most hotels will have runners in on marathon day. Work out your budget and look for a hotel that fits and is close to a metro station. 

• Hi Kirsten image 

Jimbob - have a good un. Last week was a one off. But the good thing about one offs is they only happen once.

Danni - congratulations on entering. Wish I was doing it too.

Maus - have a good time with the folks.

Migrant - don't worry, it's just DV that does stuff like that.

• Welcome Kirsten.

LSR postponed here on grounds that even my heavy ass my get blown away. Had to resort to the treddie, but the blooming thing is overheating so had to cut it short at 12km in the interest of my own safety!  But that 12km were ran at 14km/h. I will do some more to make up distance this afternoon.image

• Hi all - I've been avoiding y'all due to a dip in my training/trying to re-establsh motivation for Berlin etc. Sorry.

Hope everyone's running is going to plan.

Maus - have a fab weekend with your folks.

Weedy - good luck today dude.

Dannirr wrote (see)

RR - the deed is done. For better or worse, I have officially entered Comrades.

Danni - if anyone can, you can.

I did 28k Friday - bit disappointed in bilateralNipguard failure that led me to attempt to reposition them on the Tyne Bridge, 5 miles from home, looking like a madman... Hoping for no repeat at the GNR in 2 weeks...

Iain

• Iain - how dare you avoid us. Naughty step for you, young man.image

Have you tried micro pore tape ? Either alone or as a supplement, I would have thought you might be able to lay your hands on some.

Kaz - even your treadmill can't keep up with you. image

• HaHa Orbutt - it needs moving to some where with more ventilation but I have no space!image

• Owie this morning but all good owies.

Just a note on entry to Paris. A couple of people have said to not worry about getting in on the first day.  I'd add a couple of cautions: it always fills up  quickly after London rejections come out in october and the big events are getting VERY popular.  2012 entries for Berlin sold out in 3 wks, 2013 on the first day.

• Dannirr wrote (see)

Top fella. And lunatic. We love ya! image

Kirsten - welcome to the thread, stick around, tell us something about yourself. Send a Personal Message with your email address to Marathon Maus and she will send you the Paris Hotel Guide that she compiled last year from everyone's feedback.

Will go out for a long run this afternoon accompanying a pal who is going for sub3 in Berlin, so he's going to be on top of his game and I've only once run over 24kms since last Autumn. Eeek.

• Here's a little treat for you - haven't posted one in ages. Mainly for DV who thinks I am always running my socks off and never rest to let my body heal.

This is my accumulated running distance per year in kms. In 2008 and I had an op to detach my achilles tendon and shave the heel bone, 2012 a Meniscus op on my knee. So 2013 is a fallow year, minimal racing. Am hoping for a great bounceback in 2014 althopugh my running distances will likely never go as high again as I am incorporating lots more cycling into my fitness approach.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Annual_Running_graph_2013_08.jpg

• Dannir - me too. It's a date. 1st June in Pietermaritzburg imageimage.

Kirsten - welcome to the thread. You'll have a blast. If you're looking for accommodation, consider an apartment rather than a hotel - I've always used a hotel in the past, but looking at Airbnb I can find an apartment for the same price or less, near the Arc (the start and finish are more or less in the same place).

Iain - you need to get LR to attach your nip guards for you. I'm sure he'll oblige.

• Dannirr wrote (see)

Top Man!  image

And honarary Top Man to RR too...!    

Looking forward to this a lot...

• Welcome Kirsten...   and congrats on choosing Paris.   Jump in and join us and whatever happens between now and then, we'll all be here to support you.

• Orbutt wrote (see)

Iain - how dare you avoid us. Naughty step for you, young man.image

Have you tried micro pore tape ? Either alone or as a supplement, I would have thought you might be able to lay your hands on some.

Kaz - even your treadmill can't keep up with you. image

Running Rodent wrote (see)

Dannir - me too. It's a date. 1st June in Pietermaritzburg imageimage.

Kirsten - welcome to the thread. You'll have a blast. If you're looking for accommodation, consider an apartment rather than a hotel - I've always used a hotel in the past, but looking at Airbnb I can find an apartment for the same price or less, near the Arc (the start and finish are more or less in the same place).

Iain - you need to get LR to attach your nip guards for you. I'm sure he'll oblige.

RR - if anyone can, you and Danni can!

Kirsten - Welcome! I'm a huge advocate of airbnb, definitely had my best stay in Paris going through them this year.

Orbutt - I have the Mepore, just never combined the two - I'll give it a go next LSR!

LR - I think I've already had some tuition from you on ITLR... In fact I'm sure there's a photo around somewhere on correct Nipguard placement...!

• Welcome Kirsten. This is a fun place to be.

10K starts in 63 minutes and I am looking out of the window at the howling wind and driving rain. And thinking why???

But, WWKD? Trainers on, number attatched - centrally and horizontally - I'm off.

• And respect to Dannirrr and RR for signing up for Comrades. And to DV for dragging tyres and minis around.

• WWKD Simon - Jumped on the treddie.......and another day tucked up indoors...........I am getting soft!! image Good Luck!

And respect and admiration and slight jealousy for RR, Dannirr! 

• Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

And respect to Dannirrr and RR for signing up for Comrades. And to DV for dragging tyres and minis around.

+1

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck, Dan and RR. Comrades will be a big adventure....and we'll get to track you image ( I remember Fizz's wee  gps thingy showing her moving across 'KwaZululand'.It was so exciting, even to think about.)

Welcome to the thread , Kirsten. If you activate the ' Message Me' facility on your profile, I'll bury you in details about the race. Relax, nothing about running it...just the important stuff.

+1 for renting a flat.

• Jimbob made it round this morning 21 miles - thats almost emmy and weedy territory! In all seriousness - i'm going to have to manage myself cautiously to get to where i need to be in Berlin in terms of what i want to achieve. I have changed my expectations a little - getting round safely is the most important thing without worrying to much about the finish time. Clearly there is speed in my legs so if i look after myself i should do alright.

• Weel done TJB! With a seriously managed taper you will fly around Berlin and surpass all your own expectations. You have put in the hard work and more, now rest recuperate and let the taper madness take over!image

I hope to join you next Saturday after my last LSR.......Canna wait to get it over.....image

• I have been following this thread for over a week but am struggling to keep up with all the posts. You all sound like a great bunch so I decided to join in. 

I have run 10 marathons to date and Paris will be my 11th. last year I ran a new PB in Rome breaking 4 hrs for the first time. I am aiming for under 3:50 in Paris. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

KOC+4 - morning all

Woof, woof, bark, woof (that means good luck Boyska today for his first race) and good luck Emmy too image

Thanks Weedy! He had a great race and was so well behaved! Managed 11km before it hit 23'c so we called it an early day and ran 6 miles in the evening.

Dannirr wrote (see)

Whoop!! Well done Danirr!

Stewart wrote (see)

I have been following this thread for over a week but am struggling to keep up with all the posts. You all sound like a great bunch so I decided to join in. 

I have run 10 marathons to date and Paris will be my 11th. last year I ran a new PB in Rome breaking 4 hrs for the first time. I am aiming for under 3:50 in Paris. 

Welcome Stewart!

welcome Kristen! You're in entirely safe handsimage

RE: Hotels. ATM has a list of all hotels that we've previously stayed at if you're interested. there's no real hub.