Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Lovely Sexy Runners.... that's all of us then image

Emmy - I'm eating all the time. Hardly an hour goes by when I am not munching on something or other. Normal cereal breakfasts (limited gf choice admittedly), plenty of fruit during the day. Usually the safest thing for me to eat at lunchtime is a salad but I take lots of it and try my best to get whatever safe carbs there are - potatoes or rice, maybe beans. Chocolate in the afternoon, snack bars, solid evening meal, more chocolate, fruit. I'm not one to skimp on food, never have been.

It's the reason why I've raised the issue here. I find myself in a position where my weight does not reflect the level of training I am doing, or that I can account for it due to external factors like stress etc. Despite what has gone on the last 6 months or so, I feel in a happy place right now and I am doing moderate levels of training, but my weight is dropping towards all-time lows.

Maybe I need to keep a block of lard to hand so I can have a quick suck on it whenever I feel skinny?!

Hey everybody. A week or two before you get to apply for Paris! Exciting!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Tricky - Honestly - i'd go see a doctor about it. If you're eating as much as you say you are with the exercise: it doesnt make sense that you're not putting on weight/stabilising. What protein are you taking on?

• TD - exactly what Emmy said. The thing that immediately struck me when you described your diet there is that it sounds low in protein, apart from maybe the beans. I'd focus in increasing that as much as the lard. Oily fish, cheese, chicken?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I think you should eat more seafood Tricky...

• Avocado filled with crab, baked sweet potato, beetroot and fresh spinach salad, gf cheesy pasta, gf grain salads with nuts and veg, home made chicken burgers ?

• TD - you need to come to one of Jimbob's barbeques - i'll fatten you up a bit!

• Can't believe you set up a new thread and not told me............

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome home, James B 73 image

• Now the crab and avocado sounds nice.

My meals consist of oily fishes or chicken. Plus spinach and lettuce.

My wife occasionally lets me have a treat, however, I haven't had a Doner kebab yet.

Had a beer or two for medicinal purposes.

• Welcome back JB! Glad you found us - I'm sorry we neglected to let you know. Luckily RR was right on it.

My mind is not on what it should be this afternoon.image

• R u okay MM??

TD - I agree with Emmy, and maybe a trip to the doc?? Maybe you are love sick??image

I think things are coming together here, and the tiredness thats been hanging over me seems to have lifted a bit. Did a nice wee treadmill tempo today straight after work and all felt really good! As soon as I started the run, I could feel this strange calm come over me, which is unusual on the treadmill. Upped the speed and kept going for 40 mins! HAPPY!image

• Yay James. Welcome back

• Oops. Sorry for the double post. Apple product related refresh quirk!

• Welcome back James B , they never told me either about the new thread , I had to wander about till I found it 

• Welcome to the new house James.

TD if anyone else told you they were losing weight for no discernible reason what would you say to them? Doctor.

I'm home from work ridiculously early but my mojo's gone for a run without me. Could everyone please just shout trainers at me until I put them on and go out?

• That definitely wasn't on purpose Scott. No, definitely not.

• Go on HS!  All you need to do is put the kit on. Sometimes that is the achievement!

• As usual Im impressed with all the serious running taking place here! 

I did a 10 mile LSR yesterday.  I'm feeling almost ready for the Royal Parks.  For me 10 miles used to be a magic distance.  I can clearly recall thinking (3 years ago when i started running) that sane people don't run 10 miles. Ever.  Now it's just a stepping stone towards 11, 12 etc.  Funny how time and training can change your perspective.

What about everyone else?  Do you still get a feeling of accomplishment when you hit the distances that used to sound impossible?

• Aaron, everytime you get out there and do the work it's an acheivement. 10 miles is always tough. Any distance is tough if you think it will be easy. 5k running is bloody 'orrible! I just did a sweaty 10k recovery run with a lot of uphills.

The other day i did 21 miles and i did feel emotionally "unstable" after - at points, elated and at other points, emotional. And it had nothing to do with my aprehension for the result of Sunday afternoon's North London Derby the Arsenal v Sp*rs game. It was the run for sure.

Well done mate on preparing nicely for RPH - i expect you to come over and have a really enjoyable run - it's a great route to take in the sights, smash your PB, and on the whole have a good trip over the pond. (and meet us for a couple of pints)

• ........ and the more you run, your body gets used to running the longer distances. Where your normal short run used to be 35-40 minutes, there will be a point when your normal run will have to be longer, say 50-60 mins.

• I've come up with a super idea to get me running properly again...   I'm going to do a series of runs across the counties  image    I'm going to call them  Run Across.....

I'll start with  Run Across East Sussex.   This is now my home county and I think a route will be about 45 miles.

Run Across Kent will be about 62 miles.

I'm going to schedule Run Across East Sussex as soon as possible - maybe this weekend.

Very excited about this new initiative that I can do when its convenient with the family.   That is now a priority that I need to consider and an idea like this is a workable compromise.   image

• That is such a great clip...   I'd forgotten all about that.

Perfectly normal behaviour....   

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Come up, sometime, and run the cycle path from Edinburgh to Glasgow and on to Bowling...Right across Scotland image ...about85  miles..ish...sea to sea. No traffic and you get to see this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wRKYNYH27BA/TkAB4v5Jb_I/AAAAAAAABkQ/L5SZcgdHXyI/s320/the_falkirk_wheel_kap_01.jpg

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

That is such a great clip...   I'd forgotten all about that.

Perfectly normal behaviour....   

in my younger years i always wanted to drive accross America, i never managed all the way accross but did 4 states 2500 mile total road trip, pretty amazing.  Now i think i'd like to run accross it ..... such amazing scenery ... hmmm maybe in my 60s

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Now you've got me thinking, DV. This trail...   http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/river-ayr-way.shtml  goes from the border with Lanarkshire right across Ayrshire to the sea... *The Race is on 14th September...but from the sea, this year, I think..* I'm sure the thread could provide you with all the ' run Across' routes you could want...*+ free hols. Plan! *

• Done! Thank you for the kick. MM I'm sure you're right, half the battle is just in getting changed sometimes.

Aaron, yes I'm always amazed at just how far my legs can take me. And 10 miles will always be 10 miles!

DV / ATM I'm getting a distinct thread goes on your vibe about this.

• Jimbob -- I agree that 10 miles will always be a nice accomplishment.  Actually, part of me is proud that 10 doesn't seem like such a big deal any more.  Particularly when people ask "how far did you run today?" and i reply, without really thinking about it "not far, just 10"

Far is at least 15, maybe 18.

And I am definitely looking forward to the RPHM and to having a pint.