Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Weedy -- Please put me on the list for the Hudepohl 14k Brewery Run, in beautiful downtown Cincinnati.  I have no idea why they chose that distance, but the after party is supposed to be great.

• oops forgot the date for the Hudepohl 14k, it's September 21

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Well done TD.

Anyone heard from Suze after her hen do? You out there Suze? Speak to us.

Just saw this as I paged through, sorry Weedy - ten days in a lodge with very little signal doesn't make for easy forum reading, ha. It did have two hot tubs though, which were awesome. Also, a field of stags which herded around us, which was a bit scary and very like The Lion King. 

It was really lovely - when I got to the house on Friday night, our picture was on all of the doors, there were balloons everywhere and dinner was in the oven for all eleven of us ladies. 

We went to Alton Towers on the Sunday as well, which I feared was going to be horribly busy, but it actually was okay, surprisingly. We managed to get on ten rides. I am still bruised too, lucky my dress is long!

The boys joined me and my bridesmaid on Monday, and we spent a lovely few days chilling out, eating a LOT, drinking a LOT and watching films from the comfort of the hot tub - one each, awesome. The first night we watched Dazed and Confused and the second night, we watched The Breakfast Club. It was great. 

Wedding count down is ON now though - 17 days to go!

Who's been to San Francisco and fancies recommending places to go/eat etc? Any races I could do? We're leaving on Monday 23rd and coming back October 2nd. 

Thanks!

• KS - you need to go for a fish dinner down on Fisherman's Wharf and make sure you try the Clam Chowder. They sell it everywhere down there and it's yummy. You'll quaff loads while you are there. (similar vibe to going to Greek Island and scoffing greek salad all the time)

Lombard Street, Alcatraz, Hire bikes and cycle out to Sausalito accross golden gate Bridge - or just drive there if you are feeling lazy ....  also drive from San Fran to LA via a beautiful place on highway One - Big Sur

• See if you can get on a boat ride at sunset round the bay.

Alcatraz is a must.

• Thanks guys - we're definitely planning on cycling to Sausalito as heard it's beautiful, and will be booking night-time Alcatraz tours soon as well!

Hopefully we'll get to a baseball game and The Lumineers are playing there when we're visiting so we'll go and see them. Saw them at Glastonbury this year and one of their songs is really lovely, and is on our wedding playlist so it'd be quite fitting. 

Sadly, I don't like clams... I know, it's like going to Scotland and not liking irn bru. Or Lorne sausage. I might be brave and give it a proper go!

• KS the clam chowder, is just lovely it's a smooth thick(ish) soup that has no bits (or very little) and it's really lovely, warms you right up!

• KS - in the financial district, just off Kearny St, is Belden Place.

It's like something out of Harry Potter - if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't find it.  It has about 6 restaurants from French to Spanish and American, all of which are really good. A great Chinese is not far from here, again on Kearney St, called R&G Lounge is very popular with the Chinese locals. A brilliant restaurant is the Stinking Rose on Columbus Avenue. It's a Garlic restaurant - if you go, try the garlic ice cream, fab. The Park Tavern on Stockton Street is a bit pricey but very good, reservations a must. Finally, the best breakfasts in town are served at Mama's on Washington Square. However, we didn't eat here as the queue was out the door and down the road.
  • MM..   I think she'll be pleased just to complete the course, but yes..  that's the plan!

• James B 73 wrote (see)

Or a haggis

I was going to say haggis but there are indeed lots of people who don't like haggis, unfortunately. Weirdly, I get squeaish about chicken wings but am fine with haggis. It's yummy!

Thanks TJB and Orbutt, will definitely write all that down. Unsurprisingly, I am in the middle of making us an itinerary for every day. I plan to print it all out next week (flight info, maps, accommodation etc) and put it all in a folder. Whose idea was it to go on a fancy holiday straight after planning a wedding? That's about double the planning!

• Paert of my honeymoon was in SF - I really loved it.  There's an amazing vegetarian restaurant down past Fisherman's Wharf - really, really amazing food and wine, def worth a visit even if you're not veggie - which we're not.

I loved the Castro too - a bit touristy as we were there shortly after Milk came out but it's a great area

•  Make sure you book the Alcatraz tour quickly. It sells out two to three weeks beforehand and we missed out.

• KS - also, if you like chocolate then a visit to Ghirardelli's is a must image

Just booked my Paris filights. Hotel is also booked. Anything else?

Ah yes, must enter the raceimage

• What airline Orbutt?? I dont think flybe is that organised yet!! Now if they are do I book a dearer transferrable flight incase work doesn't play ball or take a chance??? image

• Kaz - by April, you'll be fully self-employed running Scotland's biggest health and fitness company. You can just use the company helicopter image

• lol Weedy! After yesterdays fiasco I was ready to throw the towel in! Positive head back on today, just now at least. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

lol Weedy! After yesterdays fiasco I was ready to throw the towel in! Positive head back on today, just now at least. image

What happened yesterday?

• Yeah, kaz saw on fb the location change.  Still having a nightmare finding locations?  Yeah, kaz is going to turn Orkney into the lanzarote of the north with her own la santa Kingdom. 

• Oh, on Alcatraz do a ranger tour. I they have keys. Might start slow but watch for the keys. 

• Phucking a********s..........all the incentives to get people active doesn't apply to the Council here apparently! Phonecall yesterday morning telling me that we couldn't use 'public' playing fields as apparently they are council owned, and since I am running a 'profit making business'(I could really dispute this), I can not use council property for my own gains?!?!? They cannot rent me council property for this either so I can not hire the games hall or anything in the Schools! But this Council Policy obviously hasn't reached the guy who agreed to rent the squash courts to me for a minimal fee! But it took me over 90 mins to get that booked for Friday.image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - what if you talk directly to the schools themselves? would that work?

• No the guy that phoned me is actually based in the secondary school. image

• Migrant wrote (see)

Make sure you book the Alcatraz tour quickly. It sells out two to three weeks beforehand and we missed out.

Thanks Migrant, unfortunately we've missed out, just checked and they're all sold out until mid October.

I'm gutted, was so looking forward to that - unfortunately, with planning the wedding the honeymoon's taken a back seat beyond flights and accommodation. Guess that's what I'm doing this weekend, then - along with felt flowers, final dress arrangements, venue checks, chasing other people, music, order of service... Oh, and the last long run of my maiden name and my first parkrun back after the hen do.

Radar Sal wrote (see)

Oh, on Alcatraz do a ranger tour. I they have keys. Might start slow but watch for the keys. 

RS, do you have a link to the ranger tours... maybe they're not sold out...

• Thought you might be amused by this new photo of me and Maus that surfaced yesterday after our run a couple of weekend's ago.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Descente_de_La_Lesse_2013_08_25_Richard_and_Alison02.jpg

• This looks more sane? It would appear I just had a wasp go up my shorts image

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Descente_de_La_Lesse_2013_08_25_Richard_and_Alison04.jpg

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I also received two pictures yesterday from my PB run in Antwerp..

Coming up to the finish.

/members/images/334358/Gallery/Antwerp_marathon1.jpg

Take that PB!

/members/images/334358/Gallery/Antwerp_marathon2.jpg

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Thought you might be amused by this new photo of me and Maus that surfaced yesterday after our run a couple of weekend's ago.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Descente_de_La_Lesse_2013_08_25_Richard_and_Alison02.jpg

Maus, you look soomewhat different.image

Kaz - I'm flying EasyJet

• Emmy look at you, Ms Slinky Malinky!  That's a great pic!

...in the meantime, Maus is necking vodka....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Emmy look at you, Ms Slinky Malinky!  That's a great pic!

...in the meantime, Maus is necking vodka....

I think Maus had the right ideaimage I didn't even get the chance to stop for my obligatory "during marathon beer". I wish they had recorded the finish - they would have seen me jumping across the line!