Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Yeah, I came on board a year ago. Was welcomed into the Family quickly. I based in London so went out to the thread dinner and got on with them all so organised so training runs with other London based threddies. Had a ruddy marvellous time in Paris2013 with everyone, have made fantastic new friends.

back story, I'm doing 3rd mara in 13 days, 4th at end of Nov and 5th will be Paris 2014. Done about between 40-50 half maras over the last 10 years. Used to be a bit more "chunky" like lardy dardy we like to pardy. Did  VLM 2010 "big" in 5:16:14. About  18 months ago I had a medical and I was advised cholestorel was a little high and I should watch what I eat. I was on the verge of turning 40 so from that moment I flipped a switch and went on major health kick diet, lost 24kg since end of May 2012 and been riding the pb escalator upwards ever since. 

The Jimbob - Red - 3169

• I think it should be made very clear that The Clean One was, until about 5 minutes ago, known as Dirty Leeds Rob.  He's currently suffering from delusions of pristine, grandeur, bless him. 

• He will always be DLR ..... 

• Hi all, I'm Steve and this is my very first post here!image

A few things about me, I'm 27 and currently living in the Cotswolds. I have completed half marathons before but this is going to be my first full marathon. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as i'm slightly nervous to say the least!

Bib number: 38959 - Green (optimist)

• Maus - heart thing doesn't sound good image

Maus/TD - how did the parental introductions go?

• DLR is my twin.  He's the evil twin.

Steve - plenty of time to go.  Training will kick in in December.  Between now and then just focus on consistent running,  If you can build up to Sunday runs of 14/15 by then all the better but just stay injury free and build your base. image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome to all the new folk. My 7th Paris, 8th Marathon.I am way too old for a mid-life crisis. My main function on the thread is to bury you under loads of unsolicited advice about the important stuff... the toilets, the fastest route to the pub,  why you have to hang on to that Metro ticket, etc, etc.....Relax, nothing about actually running. If you want your Inbox stuffed with ' interesting...maybe bizarre...things-to-do-in-Paris ', I'm a find.

IOf course,  can be stopped...but not easily.image

• helterskelter wrote (see)

I need my head examined but to the best of my knowledge I'm not having a mid life crisis. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

You're not due a mid-life crisis for at least 15 years. You're having a quarter-life crisis.

• Hello. My name is Tricky. I am a real boy. Joined the thread in 2008 and will soon feel confident enough to enter the race and have a go, assuming I can find a way of getting this string off my knees and elbows. Think I will be ready by 2014. I generally lack confidence and don't like to say much. Sorry for troubling you.

• Welcome everyone! I'm Tracy known as BRF on this thread. I live in Atlanta Georgia in the US. Paris will be my 7th marathon with Chicago and the Dopey Challenge at Disney world leading up to that. 

Scott I really connect with what you said about the great people on this thread so for anybody who is new keep checking in and getting to know folks! They are all so welcoming I truly feel like I'm going to see a bunch of old friends in Paris in April and I have only been hanging around here for about 6 weeks!

after reading the posts about registration today it seems the hard part is over oh except for the little running bit...can't wait...happy training everyoneimage

• She's like the Runaway Train....

• Medical Certficate............I think I should get mine done asap whilst everything is ok......Paranoia has set in......image

• Never thought the day would come when I'd take up running as a hobby, yet alone enter for a marathon. BIG step for me from the 5-10k runs I usually do. Pretty excited right now. Been planning this a few weeks so am up to 28m/week with 7.5miles as my long run. Entered Grey, which may be a bit too safe really for a will be 26yo female....

am based near London (Sevenoaks) so be good to hear from anyone nearby.

nat

• I havent ran today but my legs feel like I have done a bl**dy LSR.....whats this all about??? 

• And is any of the newbies based near me??? I would love a running partner?? 

• Clean leads rob -----

There's a good deal of juvenille frivolity and smutty inuendo goes on around here and I'd like to make it clear that I take no part in it.

ditto

• My word I'm hoping this thread isn't always this busy? I'll never keep up AND train for a marathon! 

Intro:- marathon no1 last year was VLM in 5:11 after 3long yrs of knee injury.  Marathon no2 was Manchester this yr in 4:08. Got Chester in 3 weeks and I've been reading..though not completely following "4 months to a 4hr Marathon" Did a half yesterday in 1:59:42 but I'm not confident that I could maintain that pace over 26.2.

39040 green.

• Hi all. I'm another (expat) Scot, living in London. I've done Paris four times, but next year I won't be running it. That's because this year, due mostly to the support and help I've had from the lovely people on this thread, I ran a time that qualified me for Boston. image Just had confirmation this evening.

So, in Paris this year I'll be on supporter duty. Services include:

- flag waving, holding TD's pole when he gets tired, shouting, pointing, supplying jelly babies

- collection of spare clothing at the start, returning of same to its owners unless it fits me and I like it

- holding places in the queue for the portaloos, or creating a diversion for those that can't wait

- pushing people with non-functioning quads up and down the stairs in Corcorans.

Other services, by arrangement image

• Excellent to hear I'll have a buddy in the grey pen, BRF

Paris will be my 3rd marathon. I'm Australian and flew over from Australia to run Paris in 2012 as part of a longer holiday. I figured if I was going to run a marathon it needed to be BIG.

Like those of you for whom this is the first marathon, I ran in pink pen and just aimed to finish. I loved it (and this bunch of people) so much, I smooshed up my life in Australia, relocated to the Isle of Man for 12 months and plan to relocate to Belgium in the near future. I like to think I'm having a pre-life crisis as I haven't yet decided what I want to do when I grow up.

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Maus - heart thing doesn't sound good image

Maus/TD - how did the parental introductions go?

Parental introductions went swimmingly, thanks Weedy! We've had a brilliant weekend here in the Peaks District. I'll be very sad to farewell my folks tomorrow as it's going to be a little while before I get to see them again.

The heart thing has been hanging around for a bit - I've always had a high resting heartrate. I had a bunch of tests done last year on my heart and nothing showed up. I asked a neurologist about it and was told that it wasn't a problem if my heartrate was dropping quickly enough after exercise. But it is at the high end of normal, and this worries me a little as I feel it ought to be a bit lower given I'm not tremendously unfit. And my heartrate on runs seems to be high in the context of the effort of training I'm doing at the moment. This, in conjunction with the anecdotal evidence I've gathered to realise that not everybody feels like they're going to pass out once their heartrates are elevated beyond a certain level, suggests I ought to just get it checked in more detail.image

Today was by far the worst I've experienced. I could, of course, just be a great back woossie. Appointment isn't until mid-October, but it will be worth it to see a proper sports doctor.

Dannirr wrote (see)

Maus - about that dizzyness.....you know my bias given the work that I do, but with TD's legendary abiities, and your undeniable loveliness, there are other possibilities that need to be considered....

image Dannirr - I will freely concede that the adorable TD regularly makes me weak at the knees. Perhaps further empirical testing is required to ensure all other possible causes have been unequivocally excluded. image

• Evening all! Just signed up! Very exciting and going for a sub four time. This will be my seventh marathon and first international one. My pb, set at the Shakespeare marathon in 2013 is 4:00:07 - curses to those seven seconds. I really want a sub four before I hit 40 (four and bit years to go).

Training affected by a full-time (and more) job and two small but very lovely cheerleaders.

Good luck everyone!

• Welcome Stuchbury! A pox on the house of those seven seconds.

Your cheerleaders will be most welcome in the 2014 support crew.

• Yay RR - congrats on Boston image

Stuchbury - ouch on those 7 seconds. You'll nail it soon enough and there is no better place than Paris. 

• My bib no is 58106 I'm in the pink.  I really don't care how long it takes me as long as I finish, I will be happy with sub 24hrs lol!

i'm not sure when to start racking up the miles as I don't want to run out of steam with the training.  I've got the GSR at the end of oct and I'm thinking 2 half marathons in the new year to help focus my training.  I'm running 7.5 miles twice a week and 5 miles once a week.

any advice welcome

also if you want to reply to a post how do you write it so it shows the one you are replying to? Sorry technophobe alert

• sm- there is a small tab in the bottom right hand corner , it appears when you hover the thingy ( im more of a technophobe than you ) allowing you to copy the whole message

smelly yMelly wrote (see)

My bib no is 58106 I'm in the pink.  I really don't care how long it takes me as long as I finish, I will be happy with sub 24hrs lol!

i'm not sure when to start racking up the miles as I don't want to run out of steam with the training.  I've got the GSR at the end of oct and I'm thinking 2 half marathons in the new year to help focus my training.  I'm running 7.5 miles twice a week and 5 miles once a week.

any advice welcome

also if you want to reply to a post how do you write it so it shows the one you are replying to? Sorry technophobe alert

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    I like to think I'm having a pre-life crisis as I haven't yet decided what I want to do when I grow up.

I think that might be my favourite thing I've read in a long time image

• SmellyMelly wrote (see)

My bib no is 58106 I'm in the pink.  I really don't care how long it takes me as long as I finish, I will be happy with sub 24hrs lol!

any advice welcome

I'm in pink too!! Yup my goal is just to finish as well....hoping within 5hrs though!

I've done 2 halfs this year (those are still a struggle) and have 2 more planned! I normally run about 4-5 times a week and include 1 long run of 10-13 miles. 

Here's to taking training to another level image. This time last year I could barely run 3 miles and now planning my first full, who would have thought! 

• Oh yeah, an introduction.....

My name's Ward and this will be my 2nd Marathon with my previous one being Paris last year! I seriously under trained last year due to various injuries. I averaged 13 miles a week in the 10 weeks building up to the race and my long run never got beyond the half marathon distance so I was suprised/delighted to finish after 17 miles of running, 4 miles of jogging and 5 miles of walk-run-walk-run coming in at 3:53!! In fact, the race followed the same pattern as how I kept up with the thread...... Read every post to start with and chipped in from time to time then absolutly could not keep up!!!!

I'm looking for a big improvement this time round though and aiming for sub 3:30 but quite frankly a fun weekend in paris and a medal round my neck at the end of it is all i need image

I'm currently on the bench with a broken collar bone so after 6 weeks of no exercise at all, I figure I'll be starting from scratch!! I've never spent so long innactive so if anyone has had similar and has any advice on how to get back into training again I'd love to hear it!!
  • Hi to all the newbies.  Im a newbie myself having found this forum a couple of months ago.  I've run 2 marathons, the fastest was 4:09 so I'm 'sub 4 or die'.  I live in Kentucky and I'm a little worried about the logistics of getting to Paris early enough so that Im not jet-lagged on race day, but Im excited about the race. Looking forward to following everyone on the forum over the next several months.

According to the London bookmakers I am the early favorite to win the much vaunted 'Kentucky Division' in the 2014 Paris marathon