Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Clean Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Manfred wrote (see)
    . Find me running around the North of Manchester area (Rammy/Bury). 

Is that Ramsbottom - famed for Jane Horrocks and Britain's last remaining temperance pub?

It sure is, however due to only just moving here from the south coast I am none the wiser of the Jane and Pub situation!

Looking forward to receiving the allyouneedtoknow from atm...

Currently staring out my window at a grey cloud and wondering if I can get out annd back before it... 'excreets'  image

• Options

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

I need at least another year to ponder this. Besides isn't it too late to register? ...

• Options

My wife has already booked a hotel and planned her shopping!

Too efficient!

Time for me to plan a schedule.

• Options
    benignmurmurring wrote (see)

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

I need at least another year to ponder this. Besides isn't it too late to register? ...

No plenty of time, just the longer you wait the dearer it gets!

• Options

benignmurmurring - oh dear you really know you need to do it - why dont you just go and have a look at the website... it does seem to be filling up quickly this year but you never know there maybe places left..

Lorry Dodger - good for Mrs LD.. schedule planning is the fun part and amending it and reamending it...

Kaz - I am sure I am doing something wrong but not quite sure what..

• Options
    Lorry Dodger wrote (see)

My wife has already booked a hotel and planned her shopping!

Too efficient!

Time for me to plan a schedule.

Yeah I think my gf is more excited than me about going to Paris! Although we have been once before but it was to Disney... i was forced to go to of course....image

• Options

^^^^

this is probably obvious, but once I have quoted someone, how I do stop the quote and write my own message...? 

• Options

RunningRaRa - what core exercises do you do? I have to say I'm not very good at sticking with stuff like that but I'll try & get DV to do it with me (or make me do it..). Need sometihng fairly quick & managable or it just won't happen....

We're hoping to take the children to EuroDisney after the marathon but I'm not sure I'll be able to walk! Will take some roller skates & the children can push me round all the rides. Actually that's not a bad idea....image

• Options

You need to click underneath the quote and it should type normally.  Says the most technologically challenged member of the thread....

• Options

I've joined the P&D gang, thanks for the recommendation yer_maj! Just waiting for it to come through the letterbox then I'll get stuck in. Looks totally up my street: 'You ll learn the scientific principles behind what makes you a faster marathoner '... This OCD girl who ate the exact same meal every Friday night before LSR during VLM training and actually went to a party on the Sat night after a LSR with her recovery Skins secreted under a maxi dress is very excited at the prospect indeed...

• Options

Oh boy Emma, you're going to fit right in....we need to start an OCD list....

My current obsession is trigger points.  Well, they are an ongoing obsession but at the moment I have a problem with my right arm and elbow which just isn't getting any better, so we clearly haven't found the root cause yet.  But I have found a trigger point in my armpit on the edge of a rib and it's a beautiful pain....image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Oh my... this thread is moving along so quickly! Welcome to everyone!

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Hello. My name is Tricky. I am a real boy. Joined the thread in 2008 and will soon feel confident enough to enter the race and have a go, assuming I can find a way of getting this string off my knees and elbows. Think I will be ready by 2014. I generally lack confidence and don't like to say much. Sorry for troubling you.

Where's tricky and what have you done with him?

Ward 6 wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    I like to think I'm having a pre-life crisis as I haven't yet decided what I want to do when I grow up.

I think that might be my favourite thing I've read in a long time image

I think I have the same.... I'm like Peter Pan - I will never grow up!

Dark Vader wrote (see)

Welcome to all the newbies.

I'm DV.  Along with ATM, I've been here a very long time.  I think I did Paris for the first time in 2004 or 2005 and have only missed one or two since then.  I've been through a triathlon phase but now just run ultras when I feel like it.  I have a rather unorthodox approach to it all and I just do it for fun rather than watching the clock.  I love the social element and meeting people and supporting others through their personal challenges.   This is a very friendly and inclusive thread.  The best on RW.  

You really underestimate yourself there DV. For those that don't know - DV is our resident legend. He can run from Kent to London stop for a Maccy D's and run back again. He's a true inspiration and wealth of knowledge if you're looking for ultra wisdom.

*Waves* Hello everyone. I'm Emmy and according to the others I'm a tad crazy. I live in Belgium but originally from Surrey in the UK. I run marathons quite a bit and enjoy the friendly atmosphere. After quite a bit of weight loss this year - i'm shooting for "sub 4 or die" in Paris. This will be my second Paris Marathon and like Radar Sal said that I'd never do a race twice. The reason I'm coming back? Purely this thread and the wonderful people that are on it.

Through the course of preparing for Paris you'll receive support, advice, a nudge of motivation and friendship of knowing that there are people going through the exact same thing.

BTW - Weedy - can you add me to Brussels marathon on 6th October...  *cough* that's my prize for the PB on sunday image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Emma Goldhawk 2 wrote (see)

I've joined the P&D gang, thanks for the recommendation yer_maj! Just waiting for it to come through the letterbox then I'll get stuck in. Looks totally up my street: 'You ll learn the scientific principles behind what makes you a faster marathoner '... This OCD girl who ate the exact same meal every Friday night before LSR during VLM training and actually went to a party on the Sat night after a LSR with her recovery Skins secreted under a maxi dress is very excited at the prospect indeed...

I love you already! You're a girl after my own heart!

• Options

Sorry Emmy did you let the newbees know quite how many marathons you have run now :image  LOL "run marathons quite a bit"..??

Just reading the reviews for the rumble roller and the predominant word is "bruises" so maybe I am not doing it wrong...

Emma - you have found the right thread here Mrs.. love the Skins under the maxidress image.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Never Give Up Girl wrote (see)

Sorry Emmy did you let the newbees know quite how many marathons you have run now :image  LOL "run marathons quite a bit"..??

Just reading the reviews for the rumble roller and the predominant word is "bruises" so maybe I am not doing it wrong...

I didnt want to give them the wrong impression image So far I have run 26 marathons... I will be running another 11-12 marathons this year and have already run 22 this year. I can offer advice about running when tired, running with a dog, running multi day events.

I regularly get bruises after using the OROD but ive been told that I bruise easily. At the moment I'm struggling with my left hamstring/rear end and the OROD just isnt get into the right crack!

• Options

Emmy H and yer_maj - I even brought a Tupperware of my aforementioned pre-LSR pasta meal to my husband's birthday party, as it was the night before my longest LSR - felt like a complete loser eating it while everyone around me tucked into pub grub...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Emma - I've done the same. I actually refused to go to a birthday party of a family member because I wanted a good nights sleep image

• Options

Hello to all the newbies, you've come to the best thread in the world.  Ever.  That's because of the people on here.

I started lurking here in 2007 when I ran my first marathon aged 48.  Next year will be my 7th time for Paris and I've also done London, Venice and Washington.  London was my PB, 4h09m which was the best way to celebrate my 50th.  I'm now in my mid 50s, retired, have 3 children and have been living in Paris since 1979.  I'm originally from Perth, Scotland.  I run for fun, and when the thread descends on Paris it is the best weekend ever.  All this talk of core scares me ... but I do make sure my bib number is correctly placed.  Including the safety pins.

• Options

P&D??? Sounds interesting?

I've been inspired by my marathon entry, I was out running at 7am this morning ran 7.5miles and felt extremely good the whole way if I'd had time I could have done more I think.

Bit different to Sunday as running along the sea front after 3 miles I was knackered.  Just shows its mostly in the mind!

Mel

• Options

It's KOC here (well, my version of KOC) and its time to get out the door. But it's dark. Very dark. Oh well, off I go. See y'all later.  

• Options

In a bid to destress I am writing lists........

• Options

Emmy - don't put yourself down, you're not a tad crazy. You're more than a tad crazy image

Kaz - you need a packing list, just over a week before you head to Berlin. Is that enough time?

• Options

Considering I have 2 hours spare today and 2 hours spare next Tuesday I hope so Orbutt....... I need some free time..........Right now I cant wait to get on my flight next Thursday purely so I can sit down and not think about organising anything (Naomi will sort her and Alannah!). 

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

RR - you've given me an idea.  If I come to Paris, I was going to fly to Paris, then fly to London for the London Marathon, then fly home.....but perhaps it's a better idea to simply fly to and from London from Atlanta, and Eurostar to and from Paris??

Ward 6 wrote (see)
    Oh yeah, an introduction.....
    My name's Ward and this will be my 2nd Marathon with my previous one being Paris last year! I seriously under trained last year due to various injuries. I averaged 13 miles a week in the 10 weeks building up to the race and my long run never got beyond the half marathon distance so I was suprised/delighted to finish after 17 miles of running, 4 miles of jogging and 5 miles of walk-run-walk-run coming in at 3:53!! In fact, the race followed the same pattern as how I kept up with the thread...... Read every post to start with and chipped in from time to time then absolutly could not keep up!!!!

I'm looking for a big improvement this time round though and aiming for sub 3:30 but quite frankly a fun weekend in paris and a medal round my neck at the end of it is all i need image

I'm currently on the bench with a broken collar bone so after 6 weeks of no exercise at all, I figure I'll be starting from scratch!! I've never spent so long innactive so if anyone has had similar and has any advice on how to get back into training again I'd love to hear it!!

Wardy - think what you could do with a proper training regime .... ?! image

Dannir - I'll be heading back to London on the Monday evening after some sight-seeing with the family, i'll let you know my Eurostar details when i book - it really is the only way to travel London-Paris

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    benignmurmurring wrote (see)

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

Translation Eng to Marathonese ' I am logged onto the ASO site , just for a look...'

• Options

Dannir, have you made up your mind about Big Sur? That's next wekeend, isn't it? Mr KS and I will be in SF for honeymoon and we were thinking about spectating, so if you are doing it, let me know and we can thread represent as spectators! (Or, if you know a way to get in to the 5M race, pass on the deets...)

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Benignmurmurring - can we call you BM or BMmmmm ?  Sign up then decide, that's what I'm doing.  You can always decided at the last minute not to run but you can't sign up at the last minute if you want to run.

• Options

Hi Peeps

First post for me.  I've just booked my place on the 2014 Paris Marathon.  Will be losing my marathon virginity.  Have run a couple of half marathons this year but thought I needed to get this out of the way before I hit my 40s.

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent hotel please image

• Options
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Dannir, have you made up your mind about Big Sur? That's next wekeend, isn't it? Mr KS and I will be in SF for honeymoon and we were thinking about spectating, so if you are doing it, let me know and we can thread represent as spectators! (Or, if you know a way to get in to the 5M race, pass on the deets...)

KS - nope, it's April 27th.  Not sure what's on there next week end, perhaps a half?  You are going to have a blast in SF - and hearty congrats on the marriage!

• Options
    PC - wrote (see)

Benignmurmurring - can we call you BM or BMmmmm ?  Sign up then decide, that's what I'm doing.  You can always decided at the last minute not to run but you can't sign up at the last minute if you want to run.

I've sat in a dark room for 2 hours and now I feel calm again. I can't do Paris 2014 (yes, ok course I want to) because my family will disown me and I want a years more running experience first. It has to be Paris though - I used to live there and it will always be my fav city. The route looks amazing.

Its fine to call me BM. I will be following everyones training with interest.