Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

BM - why do you need experience to run a marathon ? My first time, I'd signed up for Paris and the longest I had ever run was 10k and that was 15 years earlier. 

Dont worry about upsetting the family, they'll have a blast in Paris image

• Options

I know i'm going to regret asking this, but what core excercises does everyone recommend?

I HATE core work, particular those god-forsaken planks, but I know I need to do more.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - don't put yourself down, you're not a tad crazy. You're more than a tad crazy image

Kaz - you need a packing list, just over a week before you head to Berlin. Is that enough time?

Ok... Just a little more?

JonnyDisco wrote (see)

Hi Peeps

First post for me.  I've just booked my place on the 2014 Paris Marathon.  Will be losing my marathon virginity.  Have run a couple of half marathons this year but thought I needed to get this out of the way before I hit my 40s.

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent hotel please image

There is a list. If you PM Maus or Radar Sal your email address they'll send you a list of where we've all stayed in previous years.

Lawyeraaron wrote (see)

I know i'm going to regret asking this, but what core excercises does everyone recommend?

I HATE core work, particular those god-forsaken planks, but I know I need to do more.

Ooh... Core work. Are you on Facebook? Search for the 30 day challenge. a few of us are currently doing it. 30 days, 5 exercises a day and a world of pain and abs image if y PM me your email - I'll send you the file via email

• Options

Yes, you're right but its complicated and I need to not be managing my kids GCSE/A level stress at the same time as sodding-off out the door for a four hour run. The following spring will belong to me.

As far as core work goes, I do lots of clams and single leg bridges to strength my glutes and I plank every night for 1 minute before I let myself get into bed. Its become part of a bedtime routine. I have been checking under the bed for years before getting in, so it can done like a form of multi-tasking. Can we add that to the OCD list, yer_maj?

• Options

benignmurmurring - sounds like perfect timing having been there done that and got the T shirt on GCSE/A levels and now onto second year uni exams - good excuse to get out and force them to sit and revise... lol..

Loads more core work for me with PT lots of standing on the half ball on one leg type of things and jumping on and off it planks etc sprinting etc. PT did ask me if I had a high pain threshold not  quite sure what that means..pilates for me tomorrow..

• Options

Treadmill intervals done......felt 'ok' at the time but now I can feel my glutes..........but then again thats probably after kettlebells this morning......

I hate that bosu ball NGUG. Much prefer swiss balls, but then again you cant stand on one of then very easily! 

• Options

Have emailed Dublin marathon organisers to see, given my circumstances, whether they would refund the fee or defer till next year.

What do you reckon their answer will be? I'm going for a 'no'.

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Ward - can I just say that your totoally effortless, done no training sub 4 still pisses me off? image

I'm going to have to take issue with the word "affortless"!! The last 10 miles was the hardest thing I have ever had to do...... until the last 5 miles!!

As for the core thing, I have never run better than when I used to do regular circuits with my old club! Really need to get back to that. I'm also a recent convert to doing lots of glutes exercises! Apparently one of the best way to avoid injuries image

• Options

Glute exercises are essential. Swear by them. They cleared up my knee problem.

• Options

Ward - I'm going to have to get yer mrs to sort my arse outimage*

Disclaimer:  Ward is an "In real life, actual real person" friend of mine and his mrs is a physio with a slightly unhealthy obsession with glute strengthening....

• Options

I think i'm going to get me one those real genuine database fake passports.

• Options

The list fairy is in da house...   if you haven't yet done so, please put a message up with your bib number and pen colour...  if you are missing from the list, please don't change it or the formatting..   just put a message up and I'll add you...

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

So long as I can watch!!!

• Options

Preferential
    -

Red/Rouge
    3169 The Jimbob

Yellow/Jaune
    8073 Clean Leeds Rob
    8890 CiaronG

Blue/Bleu
    14377 Kaz1
    16332 Ward6

Purple/Violette
    26005 Stewart
    26086 Emmy H
    26090 Whaqatac
    26097 Suzy Martines
    26113 yer_maj
    26220 ATM
    26278 Helterskelter
    26347 Orbutt
    26696 Eggyh73
    27359 Manfred
    27535 Lawyeraaron

Green/Vert
    38246 Wordslinger
    38273 SweatySock
    38340 Emma Goldhawk 2
    38436 Brix
    39040 Running RaRa
    40429 NGUG
    40742 Scott the Walker

Grey/Grise
    51229 TartanPimpernel
    52142 Dannirr
    52163 BRF
    52193 Marathon Maus

Pink/Rose
    58102 Kirsten Burnett
    58106 SmellyMelly
    58270 Classicaldiva
    58329 Harry P
    58922 DV

• Options

Pleae check your name and number...  if I made a mistake or you are missing, please just post a message and I will edit it..   lots of people missing I'm sure...!

• Options

Right then. Now I've entered I need to do this running thingy. Off out on my little 5k route. Gotta start somewhere!

• Options
    Ward 6 wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I have enough problems with my husband.  Don't you bloody start!!

• Options

Ah, all's well with the world. The Paris list has started again, and there are lots of nice new people who are all, clearly, barking mad image.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Ward 6 wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I have enough problems with my husband.  Don't you bloody start!!

Can you film it and post it here so we can all watch it?

• Options

I don't do films.  Just photos.  Before anybody else says it....

• Options

DV you forgot me Red 3537

ta!

• Options

Could you add me to the list please Dark Vader? I'm Green - 38959

This thread is difficult to keep up with! 4 pages since this morning image

I was going to go on a quick 5 mile run after work today but was put off by the rain, tomorrow I start for sure!

• Options

How am ever going to keep up with this thread? I go away for a few hours and you've chatted up so much of a storm I've lost track!

Raining and cold outside now, Mr Brix is heading out for his run and I am feling smug I got 5 miles in this morning while it was dry! Interesting to see that so many people are doing core work, I feel I may be missing out on a trick...?

Thanks Dark Vader (DV?) for adding me to the list image

• Options

Preferential
    -

Red/Rouge
    3169 The Jimbob
    3537 Lorry Dodger

Yellow/Jaune
    8073 Clean Leeds Rob
    8890 CiaronG

Blue/Bleu
    14377 Kaz1
    16332 Ward6

Purple/Violette
    26005 Stewart
    26086 Emmy H
    26090 Whaqatac
    26097 Suzy Martines
    26113 yer_maj
    26220 ATM
    26278 Helterskelter
    26347 Orbutt
    26696 Eggyh73
    27359 Manfred
    27535 Lawyeraaron

Green/Vert
    38246 Wordslinger
    38273 SweatySock
    38340 Emma Goldhawk 2
    38436 Brix
    38959 Steve Hawtin
    39040 Running RaRa
    40429 NGUG
    40742 Scott the Walker

Grey/Grise
    51229 TartanPimpernel
    52142 Dannirr
    52163 BRF
    52193 Marathon Maus

Pink/Rose
    58102 Kirsten Burnett
    58106 SmellyMelly
    58270 Classicaldiva
    58329 Harry P
    58922 DV

• Options

Hi, just registered for Paris, only my second marathon and my first was a few months ago in my home city of Belfast so the logistics were easy! Been googling "Paris marathon" all day and this seems to be the place to find out everything I need to know - and quite a lot I really didn't want to know!

Would also love to find a local training partner as I trained for Belfast with a group and need someone to bend the ear off on long runs!

Emma

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good for you, Classicaldiva. Getting out the door is the hardest bit...

Wow! That's an impressive list for Day 2... Lurkers, show yourselves image

And welcome to the thread , Emma. This could be the year the Hibernian Massive rivals the Caledonians..Are your Belfast pals joining you on this one?

• Options

I could use a little advice.  I have a half marathon on Oct 6 which I would like to PR (probably haven't trained enough, but that's another conversation).  In the middle of each week, usually on Tuesday or Wednesday I do a little speed work, 6 miles with the middle 4 at HM pace or maybe 7 with the middle 5 at HM pace.  This week I would do that run wednesday night.

However, I am running a 14k race on Saturday, Sept 21 and was thinking about using it as a prep race, running the entire distance at HM pace.  My longest HM pace run so far has been the wednesday night runs. The 14k is 2 weeks before the half marathon. (this is the race that fell on a day I was originally scheduled to run 13 LSR, but I rearranged my schedule)

So, good idea, bad idea?  Too close to the HM to run that pace for that distance?  If I do try to run the 14k at HM pace should I still run the wednesday night run 7 w 5 at HM pace?  What about next wednesday's run?

thx

• Options

Lawyeraaron - I would go for it. 14K at HM pace two weeks before the race shouldn't be a problem. But more knowledgable folks than me will be along shortly.

• Options

My intro for those who don't know me :

I am one of the more 'mature' forumites and I live in Elgin in NE Scotland.

I have run 4 marathons in the last 2 years - Berlin, Lochaber, Amsterdam, Paris. Recently I have also been dabbling in the dark art of triathlon. My long distance running mojo was left splattered on the streets of Paris and I am struggling to recover it.  However, I feel I still have one more good marathon in me providing I can keep injury at bay.

This forum is absolutely the best place to be. Stick with it.

I am currently waiting impatiently for my Boston rejection.... 

And when it gets hot (over 12 degrees) I have been known to take my top off in public.