Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I must admit I'm hopeless on early morning runs, much better at evening runs. Plus I can never do any distance in the morning, as I don't do KOC. I need a couple of hours to wake up in the mornings, before which I'm pretty much useless for anything.

Only morning runs I do these days are my Saturday morning LSR. Even then I need to eat two hours before setting out. I could never be one of those up and out the door running straight out of bed like some people can manage.

up and out the door is not an option for me, its a waste of a good workout - i need an hour at least but i advise at least 90 mins to get the porridge clear of your stomach, otherwise the first 20 minutes of the run can be a bit unpleasant.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Don't worry Eggy, I'll be there to be a cheery morning git on Saturday image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Me, too Eggy. Another insufferable 'morning' person..image * Bring ' scone' money, for afterwards...*

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

How many scones are we talking here?  Do I need an extra belt??

• ok.. someone explain the logic in this...

Welsh roof slates cost (retail) about £3 each.    Imported Spanish and Chinese roof slates cost about £1 to £1.20 each.   How..?   How can slates be shipped from China at that low cost..?  Everyone will be wanting to cover their costs and make a profit...  how can it cost a third of the price to ship stone from China than it does it drive it 200 miles along the M4 to London..?

So.. naturally, this makes a massive cost implication for my clients.   

Experience shows us that Welsh slate and that from quarries in the north of England is really good quality.   Chinese and Spanish slates less so and less durable in the harsh UK winters.   Despite the quality issues, it is still hard to understand how it can be shipped half way across the world and still cost a third of the price of driving it 200 miles...

Not running related...  and very random...    just wanted to share...  image

• oi.. yer_maj..  get off here and phone me back..  I called you earlier and left a voice-mail...!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Are we married????

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Jimbob - I was all fuelled up on Porridge and it was only a 5miler. Think I'm just tired from have a bit of a restless night. Need a good sleep me thinks and then I might try a bit more of this early morning running malarky.

Got running club tomorrow so without having to get up as early hopefully I'll have some some energy to get through the working day!

DV - Probably a mixture of quality and quantity available.

• I've finally forgiven myself for losing my last Garmin and took possession of a brand spanking new 210 today. IT's white. And. It fits. I'm going out to play now.

DV.....don't try to look for the logic, there is none. Cheap labour, zero H&S regs and crappy quality = cheap slate.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jimbob/Kaz - I can get up and be out the door in 10mins. I can't eat before a run in the morning as it causes 'stomach issues'. I can 10 miles on just a glug of water before I leave. It took some practice and i've tried a variety of different things but it just works better for me. At the weekend - I'll need 2 hours between brekkie and leaving for my LSR.

Danirr- great to hear that Adam is doing better today.

Boyska did his first 5 miles this morning and was pushing for more.... but he may hate me come Monday - he's going in for the snip at 9am Monday morning. I told him to not eat my flipflopsimage

• HS - the 210 rocks. Are you on Garmin connect?

I'm with the Eggmeister on the early am runs. You people are crazy!

• Interesting range of thoughts here about early morning runs. I'm with the 'straight out on an empty stomach' brigade, for anything up to about 8 miles. It helps if you lay out all your kit the night before so you don't need to engage your brain in any way. In fact I know at least two people who sleep in their running gear, so they only have to put their shoes on and out the door. I wouldn't go quite that far.

Right, I'm signing up for Barcelona in March. I need an IAAF certified qualifier for Comrades, and I reckon that fits the bill. I could leave it until whichever April one I end up doing, but I'd rather get it in the bag first. Jimbob - can you do a recce when you're over for the half and find all the good bars please image?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I was going to do Barcelona next year....but got swayed by Paris.  So it's back on for 2015....which clearly means I will end up in Paris....image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I am definitely the really morning type. If I delay till later, the odds of actually doing it decline rapidly as the day gets long.  My anatomy professor used to like to say "early to bed and up with the cock".  Not quite sure what he meant.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You're not?  Would you like Radar Sal to explain?

• I'm pretty bad at running before about 8am - I can't seem to motivate to push myself even if I do get out. And I can't function without breakfast.

I've ran yesterday for about 4km - one of those runs when arms and legs can't seem to synchronise and I just felt awkward and annoyed. Ran for close to 9km today and felt a little more normal. The garmin stats show me running at almost the same average pace for both runs, but my heart rate was much higher for yesterday! 

YM: I'm afraid not doing Paris is not one of the options open to you...

Emmy: Yay and Ouch for Boyska. He'll be fine though they do look very sore and sorry for themselves for the first 24 hours.

• the porridge/museli on the early morning runs fuel my long runs and on my short runs - it provides extra fuel to get me through the morning at the office, so i don't want to doze off at the computer screen .....

RR - i'm not doing anything Barcelona-wise - i'm doing the Valencia full Mara at the end of this coming November ..... word on the street from my Valencian work colleague is its a good city to visit and everything is easy on the bank balance. Really looking forward to it - anyone else fancy playing? thats IAAF'n'all?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Sure, I'd love RS to explain!  Has she taken over from the Runner Formerly Known As DLR?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Scone money, now that sounds more like my idea of a Saturday morning. image

I had a chronic run of 11.5 miles tonight. I just couldn't get going at all and felt sluggish and tired pretty much the whole way around. I think an early night is in order, so that I can tackle a good fast-ish attempt at the 9 miles I have planned for tomorrow evening.

RR - Barcelona should be amazing. Give Audrey a shout about Barcelona, she's ran that one.

• He was trying to hang on to my coat tails but has realised he can't keep up.  'Up with cock' is very different to 'up at KOC'!!!! Up with cock is a hangover from cavemen time where men formed a symbiotic pavlovic relationship with roosters. The early morning was the only time they had the chance to get jiggy with their fave cave woman.  The rooster has a similar predicament so began crowing at sunrise...the cavemen began to associate this noise with jiggy and caveman jnr formed an association.  Leading to the saying 'up with cock's' double meaning or 'morning glory' as the kids refer to it.

On a serious note: dan! Fark!  Great to hear he's doing really well. +1 for a strong blood line.

I have lots to add to the early morning run comments as run to work 3times a week 5.5-8miles, but think I have made enough of a contribution tonight. 

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RS - that brought a much needed smile to my face - thanks!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hereafter known as Kaz O'Cock.....

• Dannirr wrote (see)

Dannirr wrote (see)

very happy to hear that! My work here is done.

• Now KOC...that's a whole different genre even.  There once was a mad woman on an island...

• RS thanks for the history and science lesson - it's good to finally know where, when and how morning glory evolved to become this daily event of the male species. (you funny b*st*rd!) image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

We need the line "She rose with the cock" in there somewhere...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I never knew that about roosters or Kaz o cock.... The things you learn on a Tuesday evening.

MM - he'll be better off for it. I don't understand why it wasn't done already. We did find out that he won't travel to the UK next week so I'll be all alone.

trying to decifer the pet passport regulations is making hurt head hurt :-/

• The cock doesn't get up at KOC here...........is there something wrong???image

I think I need to learn more about post running fuelling than before pre runningimage I had a bit of an 'episode' last night directly linked to lack of fuelling after 12 miles  yesterday morning. 1 slice gluten free toast apparently wasn't enough to see me through my post round, and second job of the day.........image I find it hard to eat for hours after I have ran  and I am one of those people who lay their running kit out the night before, trainers by the door etc and can't eat until I have been up for hours........help?!?!

• Have you tried starting your tummy after a run by sipping a bit of liquid protein? You can't do milk though, right? Other options? 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Kaz, honey, you rise before the cock.  Natch....