Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hi Steve, Caballo, Stephen.

Orbutt - you've got a way with words.

• Options

Welcome Steve, Caballo and Stephen!

Yep. Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you our accommodation guide.

• Options

Anyone have any idea how busy Disneyland Paris gets on the race weekend? I'm thinking about visiting it on the tuesday after but I can't abide theme parks in busy times!!

• Options

Hi all, thank you for your warm welcome I'm looking forward to some interesting conversations and banter on here in the coming months and your support will be appreciated and invaluable, so thanks in advance.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Matty, I ve just landed at Glasgow...the original 50 Shades of Grey...having chatted on the plane to Disney ers...Non mara Tuesday... You will queue. Suck it up and have a good time. Parents, frazzled:kids, high as kites.. image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hello all image Greetings from NL. Welcome to all newbies - make yourself at home!

Kaz - Have a few weeks off and come back here image You're family - you cant get rid of us that easily...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Matty - you'll be glycogen depleted and hurting like hell.  And, if you've been to Corcorans with us (obligatory) and survived, you'll be hungover.  Sounds like a perfect recipe for Disney image

• Options

Matty - We stayed in Disneyland last year for the marathon, didn't seem any busier than at any other time to be honest. Quite a nice journey in too, trains were regular and only one change.

Hardest part was having my daughter sit on my shoulders for half an hour watching the firework show on Sunday night after I'd finished the marathon, my pleading to her in the hotel room that all daddy wanted to do was lie down seemed to fall on deaf ears as clearly my 3 year olds need to see the fireworks again was more important than me ever having the ability to walk again!

Although she did ask if she could take my medal to wear which made me quite proud.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Whaqatac - I'll be staying in a Disneyland paris Wednesday 2/4 for a week.  Any tips for travel to Paris race day and for expo.  I understand it's RER A to Paris goring you out at Arc de triomphe, near start/finish? Not sure how to get to expo but presume the metro will get me there (thinking of going Thurs to avoid any rush on Saturday).  So what time will I need to get up to travel on race day??? Any tips much appreciated!

• Options

Hi Kaz,

I don't know you but I can relate to your situation. I had a crap marathon in 1996 after a lot of preparation and decided I was too old for marathons (I was 51). So I got back into triathlons instead, did them for 15 years, and then decided to try just one more marathon, which I did at age 66 -- my slowest ever, but I still enjoyed it, and am aiming for another when I turn 70 in 2015. Meanwhile I can recommend triathlons -- keeps you fit, the different disciplines mean you don't overtrain in any one sport, and if you come from a running background you have the pleasure of doing particularly well on the last leg.

So by all means hang up the marathon shoes for a period, but never say never again!

• Options

Good for you Tony. For a while I used to run regularly with a friend of my father's who, despite being in his mid 70's could still comfortably do a sub 2 hour half. He put his fitness levels down to a lifetime of Scottish country dancing.

Andy - check out the RATP site ]http://www.ratp.fr/en/ or the RATP app for travel information. The app in particular has a journey planner which will calculate routes and journey times for you.

• Options

Bum. Edit function not working. Try http://www.ratp.fr/en

• Options

YM - All excellent points well made! Maybe I'll hire an electric buggy like the americans use. Less walking, and I'll get to jump the queues!

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Not having much luck at the mo, woke up in the middle of the night with extreme pain in my big toe. Been to the doctors and as I feared its probably gout so got a prescription but wont be running for a few days. Not sure I will be setting the world alight in the Great West Run on the 13th!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Morning, all..

Stephen Reed 5, I've just emailed you but , since my mail has an attachment, maybe have a look in your spam?  If you activate the ' Message Me' facility on your thread Profile, I can check...

Hi, Andy W and tonyg. If you fancy some info' about the course etc, message me and I'll send you some stuff. Andy, the ratp app. is fantastic, if you have a smartphone.So is the website.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Trev - yuck.  Gout can be eased by trigger point massage, you know....

Trigger points cause most of the world's problems it seems.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

YM - I've not really looked in to trigger points so thanks for pointing that out, I'll have a little Google. 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

The Clair Davies book is really good....I just leave it permanently by the bed now, no point in putting it away....

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannirr - I know it was a couple of days ago (and about 20 pagesimage ) that you mentioned the book you've read but could I ask a few questions?

With regards eating 'good' fats in the week before (?) and then swithching to carbs in the last couple - is the idea to deplete your glycogen store and then top it up 'last minute'?

Drinking to thirst - I get very thirsty later on in runs and most articles I've read recon that if you're thirsty, then you're already de-hydrated. How does this approach work?

Trev - ouch, mate.

RR - +1 for the RATP app

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - This area is a real can of worms and it's all about personal experiences. Im the same with drinking and thats why i carry a bottle with me. I drink to thirst but am always thirsty towards the end of a race. Ive been told that this is entirely normal

• Options

Hi all

I haven't posted for a while so I thought I would update you all with where I'm up to with my plans.

my wonderful family have decided they all have to come and support me on the day so we've booked a gite near Rambouillet for a week for 11 of us.  It's just over half an hiur by train to the centre of paris so ideal for us.

I've set out my training plan which starts proper the middle of December although I have the great south this month so training for that at the mo then I will tick over till dec.

I've entered Richmond half which is a few weeks before paris and I'm also planning a half in February.  I hope this will help keep me focused on my training.

i did 10 miles on tuesday which is a real achievement for me but I now have a sore knee! I think that's due to a blister on my foot though.

the main problem I have is my toes are so painful after 6 miles I've had my shoes checked and I've seen a physio none of whom can see any probs.  I'm now booked in to see a podiatrist in a few weeks I just hope they can find a soLuton as I' not sure I can do a marathon with the amount of pain I'm in.

this will be my first marathon so very apprehensive but equally determined!

mel

• Options

Hi Orbutt - yes the idea is to deplete the glycogen store - on the basis that the body will do a sort of "super absorption" when carbs are added. It is a way of getting that marginal extra bit of glycogen to be stored in the muscles and liver. As for hydration levels - I believe that Matt Fitzgerald really attacked the research base* which suggests that good hydration delivers extra performance in the book "The Runner's Body". *He said that such studies were funded by aggressively-marketing drinks companies like Gatorade and were scientifically flawed. Drink as you want but it doesn't have much effect on your ability to perform until you reach very serious levels of dehydration. 30+ years ago it was a matter of habit that top sporters ran marathons without any drinks.

SmellyMelly - no advice apart from saying, keep persevering and you will stumble across the problem and solution sooner or later. Good luck.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Mel - Rambouillet is very nice, 40mins from Chartres.  Paris is an hour by train. 1h30 to the Loire.

TrevO - Courage.  25000 signed up, still 20000 left, one of them has your name on it.

• Options

I too am a drink-to-thirst-er. I just can't load up on Hyrdation, I just end up needing to wee all the time. Fluids pass right through me!

Mel - I agree with Tricky Dicky - perserverance. Try stopping when you reach the pain threshold, then try to push it a bit farther each time?

I have signed up for my local half as a warm up race, except its literally the week before Paris! I shant hunt a PB for it but am going to run it anyway to support the event.

• Options

Hi Andy,

I can't remember what time I got the train the morning of the race now but it was about a 45 minute journey to Charles de Gaulle - Etoile. It was a quick walk down Avenue Foch to drop my bag off and then walked to the start risking the 'cross of death' across the Place Charles de Gaulle (why they don't shut the roundabout because of the amount of people there is beyond me!), stood for about five minutes and then started running. I think it was about an hour and fifteen minutes from hotel to start line all in although you may not want to cut it as fine like I did!!

My wife and daughter came in later on the RER and went to Gare de Lyon and then one metro stop onto Bastille so they could come out and cheer me as I passed (they could have seen me pass twice at that point if they'd arrived in time but my daughter felt it more important to have her photo taken with Pluto in the hotel), she brought her Minnie Mouse balloon with her (that's my daughter not my wife!) so that I could see her in all the crowd, although if you choose to follow this idea make sure you choose another character as I don't want to inadvertently stop at your family during my marathon!! They then went on the finish line to meet me before getting the RER back.

I would definitely recommend working out what tickets you and your family need beforehand and buying them the day before. There was a big queue at the ticket machine with runners trying to buy tickets on the Sunday morning as the ticket office wasn’t open and people were struggling with which tickets, correct change, etc.

The expo is in an awful position when you’re in Disney so leave the family to enjoy the Parc and go alone, it is a long journey with a couple of changes and to be honest there is not really anything at the expo for them to see, unless you’re a family of runners obviously. Just take a good book or make sure your ipod is fully charged and settle in for the journey!

Also be careful at Disney, you will spend a lot of time on your feet walking and waiting and you’d be surprised how much energy you use. If you took a pedometer I would guess it would show you have walked many miles and that will burn up your glycogen stores, plus the normal fayre in Disney is not towards the healthier ends of the charts (but they could certainly assist you with simple carbs and fat if you need!)

We were going to stay at Disney again this year but as we are going to Center Parcs in Ailette on the Monday after the marathon for 5 days, we decided to stay in Paris Saturday and Sunday (in La Defense), go to Center Parcs and then drive back to Disneyland the following weekend for 5 days.

Hope some of this is helpful and feel free if you have any other questions.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

PC - Would love to but cant commit to it at the moment. Hopefully things will sort themselves out over the next few months and if so there will still be spaces.

Club I run with have a place for London so have put my name in the hat. Last year only 2 people wanted it so the odds might be a lot better than the ballot

• Options

Orbutt

Drinking to thirst - I get very thirsty later on in runs and most articles I've read recon that if you're thirsty, then you're already de-hydrated. How does this approach work?

I think this is absolutely right. I went for a 20mi during training for Berlin. Ended run really thirsty, felt sick and end up in A&E. I was told by doctor that I was de-hydrated. Best thing to happen to me. During Berlin marathon I kept hydrating all along the course: result felt really good at the end of race, no problems whatsoever (only knees let me down).

I had to learn the hard way.

HTH

• Options

Just to update, duplicate payments sorted with ASO and now DefenderJo has just one BIB number - 51367.

Cheers.

• Options

/members/images/314981/Gallery/Boot.jpg

Thought I would upload a picture of the latest boot in my collection, I wonder if Asics do a version??

MRI has been done, just waiting for the results now.