Q&A with Helen Jenkins

2»

Comments

• Asthma Boy wrote (see)

Hi Helen,

I was wondering if you had any tips for how to run faster outside of just upping your mileage and doing speed intervals?

Thank you.

Hi

You have mentioned the most common ways to improve! Generally it is increase volume or introduce intervals. I would suggest training with a heartrate monitor, It is pretty common to just always run at one pace/heart rate and that is when improvement can slow. Rather than speed intervals, you could try varyuing pace slightly, go running slower than you normally would, then increase to normal pace and finish off my a faster than usual pace. This could be done in a 30 minute run 10 mins very easy, 10 mins usual pace, 10 mins pushing the pace on. I normallly do a run like this over an hour 20/20/20 finishing pretty much as hard as I can go. It is different to short speed intervals so maybe worth a try. Other avenues are trying to improve run technique by trying some running drills.

hope that helps!

• andrew featherstone wrote (see)

Hi

I am and established club runner who suffers from ME,and has done so for 2 years. I could run 40m 10k and Sub 1:30 Half Marathon last year but have gone downhill this year. I find high intensity hard. I am aiming for 1h27 at the Great North Run. How can i train for this time goal with out high insensity. Distance isn't an issue as i did my first marathon in April

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the question. Sorry to hear you are suffering with ME. I just answered a question above that explained one of the run sessions I do as an alternative to high intensity efforts. A build run, so you are really working your threshold running pace as opposed to the short hard efforts. I would do an hours build run - 20 mins steady 20 mins a bit harder then 20 minutes pushing on close to race pace. This can be extended to 30/30/30 it could be useful to wear a heart rate monitor to ensure your not pushing too hard and the effort is becoming too intense. General work around threshold pace could improve your times. I'm not sure how long your efforts would be in sessions but could it be worth dropping the pace and making efforts longer? Also have you got a few in your run club who can all go for a steady run, not easy not hard, that kind of uncomfortable middle pace, when your in a group this can help, bit more fun!

Hope that can be of some help, good luck for your race, hope you hit the time!

• I'll go again while you're here.

Are there any particular workouts you do to train your whole body for all the sports in triathlon?

Thanks,

• Asthma Boy wrote (see)

I'll go again while you're here.

Are there any particular workouts you do to train your whole body for all the sports in triathlon?

Thanks,

Hi

The sessions I do that train the whole body are probably my gym sessions.The aim of the session are to improve overall strength so I can handle the demands of the other training and hopefully not get injured. I do a lot of core stuff and specific leg strengthening like single leg squats and lunges. Gym is probably the worst session for me! I'd rather go for a run, but they have to be done!

• Thanks for all your questions and thanks very much Helen for answering them, was really helpful. 

• Thanks for the questions! 

Hope I could give some useful info!

Helen x

• TRTR ✭✭✭

thanks for the response