wetsuits compulsory

What temperature do they call for wetsuits to be worn compulsory in triathlon or in my case an open water swim?

Comments

• Depends on the race but normally below 24c I think? Sure someone with better sence will be along to confirm in a minute.

• Look on page 14 - can't cut and paste table - soz!

• If it's a straight ow swim the rules might be different from tri image

• Thanks both. The guide suggests the minimum for optional wetsuits is 14c. The last I heard thewater temp was 18.4 so looks like I won't to need to fork out for what may well be a one off swim. 

• Check with the organisers I reckon is the best bet. If its an OW swim rather than a tri - it will have different rules.
  • With some open water races they will only yet you swim without a wetsuit if you can prove a certain level of OW experiance just in case.

• Cake wrote (see)

With some open water races they will only yet you swim without a wetsuit if you can prove a certain level of OW experiance just in case.

never seen that for a tri Cake - maybe for long OW swims, but not a tri

here are the facts

below 14C, wetsuits are mandatory

above 14C, they are optional

above 22C for sprints/standard, 23C for middle, 24C for long (over 3k) - they are banned

however, on safety grounds or under local by laws, these rules maybe be altered provided all athletes are informed of the change.  

and athletes with certain medical conditions - e.g. hypothermia sufferers - can also wear them in higher water temps

different temps apply to paratriathletes.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

There are no rules for open water swimming generally, but it depends on the organisation running it.

Purists won't let you swim in a wetsuit at all

Most events make them optional whatever the temperature although sometimes you have to be able to prove your ability without a wetsuit

Events organised by companies keen to make a profit but who know little about open water swimming will tend to blindly follow triathlon rules, or make it wetsuit compulsory regardless of the temperature

• My event just states that wetsuits may be compulsory if water temps are too low. the August temperature has been 18.3 so I think we should be okay. Just the problem of swimming 2.5k in a river to deal with.

• SC - if anyone wants to organise a triathlon, they can of course apply whatever rules they want BUT if they want to get a race permit from the BTF, then it's not a case of "blindly" following rules, it's an obligatory buy in to the BTF rules - and the rules on wetsuit use in the BTF are very very clear.  and to be fair most tri organisers are ex-competitors/coaches etc themselves so know the rules in a broad sense.

sure - open water swims, you can do what you want if on your own, but please don't confuse OW swims with triathlon run under BTF rules.  much like your channel swim - you had rules for that and they are very clear - and well done btw...image

SR - if the water remains around 18C and the event is run under BTF rules, it's your choice whether you want to wear a wetsuit or not UNLESS the oragniser is making them mandatory on safety grounds.  if they are only quoting compulsory on water temps, then they can't compel you to wear one.   what's the event???

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I never made any comments about triathlon FB.  I was only talking about OW swimming, which is what SR was asking about.

Triathlon rules make a lot of sense as they are designed for the needs of triathlon, one of which is the need not to get too cold in the water as you will only get colder on the bike.  However the needs of swimming are different.  You can afford to get colder as you are out, dressed and drinking a hot drink within a couple of minutes of finishing.  From a hypothermia point of view, swimming is safer.