ironman-wales-2014

Comments

• H0NK wrote (see)
    Hi Andras, worth getting the book as soon as possible as it has a lot of good information in it even if I and others don't fully agree with his plans. not enough cycling is the main problem and for me it starts off at too low a level. so at least the intermediate level but with additional cycling particularly for wales.

All the early training is done in Fink zones 1 or 2 (mainly 2) which he defines as Z1 = 65 to 74% of maximum heart rate, z2 = 75 to 85% of Maximum Heart rate.

Honk, when you say more cycling do you mean more sessions, longer sessions or  more intensity?  I am folllowing finks intermediate plan for IMW 14. If time aows I will follow the competitive plan.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    I try to fit in extra sessions when I can and also do longer sessions, My long ride would normally be aiming at about another hour added on to Finks plan and the mid week rides would normally be longer too.

If I could find the time I'd like about half of my training to be on the bike as it takes approx 50% of the time in an Ironman. unfortunately I'm not as keen at cycling as I am running.
  • H0NK wrote (see)
    I try to fit in extra sessions when I can and also do longer sessions, My long ride would normally be aiming at about another hour added on to Finks plan and the mid week rides would normally be longer too.

If I could find the time I'd like about half of my training to be on the bike as it takes approx 50% of the time in an Ironman. unfortunately I'm not as keen at cycling as I am running.

Thanks, I know what you mean about the running over cycling. I am new to cycling and where I live running is much easier. I step out the door and I have hundreds of acres of forest tracks to run on whereas the roads are all very hilly and I live at the top of the biggest one for miles around. Still should be useful for Wales.image

I am currently doing the base phase of Finks competitive plan as a bit of pre season training. Not sure what to do whenI finish it, should I drop the volume and start again or keep the volume up for another 10 weeks before begining the build phase? Any advise appreciated.

• H0NK wrote (see)
    Hi Andras, worth getting the book as soon as possible as it has a lot of good information in it even if I and others don't fully agree with his plans. not enough cycling is the main problem and for me it starts off at too low a level. so at least the intermediate level but with additional cycling particularly for wales.

All the early training is done in Fink zones 1 or 2 (mainly 2) which he defines as Z1 = 65 to 74% of maximum heart rate, z2 = 75 to 85% of Maximum Heart rate.

thanks H0NK, i will definitely get the book, as i want to start earlier and also make some adjustments to fit my schedule. any good pre-races you or anyone can recommend? i am thinking about the long course weekend and also the london to brighton bike ride which i sadly missed this year, but one or two more, especially bike races would be necessary i guess.

• honestly wouldn't recommend London to Brighton unless you get the earliest time slot - gets very congested! Look on here for cycle sportives; https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events they have varying distance rides which are local and cheaper come the New Year. Where are you based?

• thanks IronFanny, i will think about it. a friend of mine did it last year and she really liked it, unfortunately it was already full when i tried to enter. i live in london, so it would also be convenient.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Dadu wrote (see)

I am currently doing the base phase of Finks competitive plan as a bit of pre season training. Not sure what to do whenI finish it, should I drop the volume and start again or keep the volume up for another 10 weeks before begining the build phase? Any advise appreciated.

If your coping well with the training at the end of the 10 weeks then i would carry on at that level, but cut back if you need to.

Last year when Training for my first I was probably doing about 12 hours a week before the plan started, the problem was though that instead of following the plan I was competing against it always trying to do more than prescribed, this year I will make sure I do a cut back week every 4 weeks or so as much for mental recovery as physical recovery.

Its a long time till Wales and you dont want to start getting bored with training when it really starts to pick up with 10 weeks to go.

• I'm in London too so was ideal but did find it frustrating. Every hill was a standstill and couldn't even attempt to climb ditchling as everyone was walking almost ASAP. Plenty of people falling off due people stopping and cleats not getting out in time. Glad I did it - but definitely only the once. Would recommended an early slot though if you do go ahead image
  • The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Great to have you on board Slim

Cheers SA - be great to meet up again  image

• Ooops sorry, I forgot to post up the Fink Competitive Plan in Excel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08hapmdhji8vnj1/Iron%20Man%20Wales%202013.xls

Apologies it's still got some of my data in there from this years IM Wales, just delete the cells or just overwrite my times.

• Thanks Final RV, i think i stick with the intermediate for 2014, but i saved that for later image

i should have the book next week, until than, i have a question about pre-races. it seems from the training plan that 6-8 weeks pre the IM it recommends a half IM. for wales its pretty much the time of the long course weekend. what do you think its better to do, the LCW or find a half IM around that date? or do a half IM a couple weeks before the LCW, or dont do it at all?

• Hi Andras, I'm probably doing the long weekend for distance, but not the marathon as that'll take a longer recovery than I'd want at that time of the season. Then I'm in for the 70.3 IM UK in June and will try to line up an Olympic in May for some specific tri-race experience through the season.

I think that's your second option. This will be my first IM as well so this above is not from experience...just what I'm doing image

• This year I did a HIM at Marlow organised and run by F3 Events and sponsored by MaxiFuel, it was great, the dates this year hit the fink plan for Wales dates perfectly again.  Putting it all together for 5 or 6 hours was confidence building and great practice, the LCW although in the area of IM Wales doesn't really put it all together, that's the only reason I wouldn't do it plus the marathon isn't the IM Wales route.

• There is a Half IM 5 weeks before, which I will be at

http://www.xtramileevents.com/events/calendar/the-eirias-middle-distance

mirrors IM wales very well

• How does a "fast flat run" mirror IM wales SA?

• Flat Footed wrote (see)

How does a "fast flat run" mirror IM wales SA?

erm, if its the course I did in 2012 its not that flat, looking at the course, it is the same and the first 1 mile is flat, mile6 and 7 are flat and the last mile is as well.

The rest I would call rolling

• Only going by what it says on the opening page

"The Eirias is a brand new middle distance triathlon based at the stunning new Porth Eirias in Colwyn Bay. A sea swim, awesome cycle and a fast, flat run on the sea front to finish"

• That does look a nice race though, too far for me to justify sadly.

• I think they did a half marathon option on the sunday which may suit some better then the full at the LCW.

• Thanks Zeroyxz, thats what i tought as well... i would seriously struggle to do the 14 hours of training in Fink's plan the week after the LCW with the full marathon image

wow Final RV, that Marlow HIM and the OD looks really good as its basically here in London. any idea if it was sold out in the last couple years? i would like to wait a couple weeks with the entry, i hope there will be places left.

• The Marlow 1/2 didn't sell out, this year it was 30+ centigrade on the day, the 1/2 marathon was a tad warm to say the least, last year the swim was cancelled and the run was in knee deep mud.

• Has everyone already booked accomodation?

Had a go today and every where in Tenby is full unless you use Nivarna Europe who looked to have blocked booked most Hotels, they do have several on / next to the finish line but a bit pricey

• Hi all, like a few others I have been lurking in the shadows for a while following this thread after entering IMW about a month ago. Decided it was finally time to come out into the open and introduce myself. 

I too come from a running background completing marathons and a couple of ultras in these last few years. Now ready to change track Wales will be my first Ironman. Totally new to triathlon so may be asking many questions and searching for motivation and inspiration. 

I am also following Fink's intermediate plan and in general am really excited at the task ahead. So far I have totally surprised myself with my swimming as I am already up to a mile after only 3 weeks having only ever splashed about on holiday before. 

Planning on doing LCW too without the marathon as the recovery will eat into valuable training time, with a local half IM at the end of June ( The Avenger, Worcs'). 

Anyway enjoy the training all, speak soon. 

• good choice for the LCW image

Has everyone already booked accomodation?

Had a go today and every where in Tenby is full unless you use Nivarna Europe who looked to have blocked booked most Hotels, they do have several on / next to the finish line but a bit pricey

booking.com has a couple left, although i am not sure how they are compared to nivana's

• Hi Been following various threads on various sites Regarding IM Wales 2014 thought As I will be "attempting" to complete it next year now would be a good time to Say hi as I will no doubt require advice etc at some point throughout my training, Im a complete virgin to Triathlon and have thrown my self in at the deep end .... I have run various distances over the years and am comfortable with the bike leg (for now) I live local to the route and have ridden It a little bit.......

I'm right on the finish line with the better half. Kids and grandparents are at the travel lodge just outside Tenby. Must find my booking confirmation.

Hoping I have something left in me this time to enjoy the midnight finish and a few beers. Unlike outlaw this year where i enjoyed my bed and some painkillers. Totally wiped out.

• Re hotels - they were building either a new premier inn or travelodge opposite the hotel you stayed in last time, TSA.  I'm trying to google it now but not having much luck.

• It won't be open until November 2014 apparently.  They're taking their time putting that up!

• Tired Badger wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

I'm right on the finish line with the better half. Kids and grandparents are at the travel lodge just outside Tenby. Must find my booking confirmation.

Hoping I have something left in me this time to enjoy the midnight finish and a few beers. Unlike outlaw this year where i enjoyed my bed and some painkillers. Totally wiped out.

Me too, this year I headed back to my hotel around 8 with the intention of taking a bath, changing and having a few beers in town and getting to the finish line for midnight.  The bath happened, the hotel bar beckoned and that was that!  Must try harder.