tokyo-marathon-2014

13»

Comments

• oldntyred wrote (see)
    Off to Nikko today and then Miyujima/Hiroshima -more walking - just what I need (not) - what a fantastic country!!!

Hiroshima is a wonderful place. If you can, make time to go to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. Im not usually a fan of museums, but that was one the most fascinating 3-4 hours of my life. And for the equivalent of about 50p!

• does anyone know when the finish times are published? I only ran with a basic watch and so have not got my splits yet! 

also out of interest did anyone ever find out about the ballot. I went through 209events but heard that at least in past races nearly all foreigners got places in the ballot (helps tourism and the profile of the face). i enjoyed it so much i'm thinking about having a 2nd crack next year!

• I agree with you apmstuart it's definitely worth coming back! We are also with 2.09 but haven't found the results as yet. Some guy said that they take about a week?
  • Try this link http://r.tokyo42195.org/ and put your bib number into the text box.

On the subject of the ballot for overseas runners, I was told in 2011 that the vast proportion of overseas runners were successful in the ballot. The statistics were something like 90% chance of success for overseas runners, 90% chance of failure for local residents. Since then, the race has become the 6th Major so overseas interest will undoubtably increase now, so that may no longer be the case. Between 2010 and 2013, I applied 4 times and was successful 4 times.

• Hello everybody,

Hells bells Tokyo disney is an experience and a half.  I don't think I've ever seen as many people in the one themepark at the same time in my life.  Think Alton Towers in at the August bank holiday multiply it by 2 or 3 and you are getting an idea.  If that is what it is like on a freezing cold Monday and Tuesday in January god knows what its like at holiday time.  Still Disney is magic (even if I never got on some of the rides) and just seeing meh Minnie today (I couldn't justify the 3h queue yesterday as lush as she was) has given me a lovely inner warmth.  Suppose I'd better go and see Tokyo tomorrow and Thursday.  Culture doesn't seem so much fun but at least I will have Minnie to show me round!!!!

I have to say I thought the organisations was pretty much spot on.  It was cold on sunday but most pictures I've seen of this race have been wet and dreich looking.  It was easy to take shelter from the cold and the wind undercover until the last minute at the start and you were soon back under cover at the finish to find warm dry clothes (if anybody ran manchester 2012 they will appreciate how useful that is).  The only slight grumble may have been that there wasn't an escape route for folk not going back to the family reunion area but I guess I was the oddity in the field of being a lonely herbert with no friends or family to spectate.

I'm interested to find out the stats for the ballot and how many of the foreign runners were there as part of a tour.  I try to avoid tour firms as much as possible.  I was with 2:09 but left that hotel on Monday and moved across the road from the Washinton to Sunroute Ariake.  Without the tour operator premium I am getting four nights over here in a nicer room for the price of 2 if I'd stayed where I was.  The only advantage of tour firms is that they have guaranteed entries for races like this and New York that there is no reasonable other options for entry and for that priveledge you pay OTT on flights and/or hotel rooms.  If you can qualify or find a way into a race any other way enter that way you will save a fortune.  Actually what you save can be put towards another running trip!!!!

• Thanks for the link to the results it worked perfectly
  • gazza thanks for the link, perfect, a new PB too image

Caniggia - yes, you are right. I must have seen you as I was also in the Ariake and on the bus to the race, I was sitting on my lonesome and looking stressed no doubt!

• Gazza, thanks for that link, confirmed my splits on my Garmin, delighted.

• Does anyone know if photographs will be available from the event? 

I see Marathon Foto don't do them for Tokyo. 

• http://tm14eng.allsports.jp/

They'll be here when they are available. Had plenty of problems finding them in previous years, so this link is in my favourites!

There shouldve been a piece of paper in the bag you pick up at the expo that gives the password you'll need when they become available. Its usually the year (eg, "2014"), so dont worry if you threw it away with the other toot in there.

• Thanks Gazza! 

I probably did throw it away! image

• Photos are ready for purchase. Remember the password is 2014. So many photos! 6 pages worth for me, although I wasn't running in the crowds much so I guess that allows for more photos to be ID'd

• Only 271 race photos.  I know that only works out to be about 28p/photo or something but I don't want to buy all of them.  Just a couple as a souvenir would have been nice.

Well that is me home.  It only took 25 hours to get from my hotel to my house which was a bit of a long day.  If anybody drove past perth last night and wondered why someone was running about in a layby and bouncing about it was me trying to wake myself up for the last hour of my drive home.  After 24 hours of travelling I could feel my eyes wanting to close and its not good when that happens at 70 mph on the dual carriageway although I'm sure the cats eyes are designed to wake you up image

Tokyo was fab.  I really did the sightsee until you drop thing on Wednesday and Thursday.  I think I caught 23 monorails and subway trains in two days.  I found walking was a bit of a problem as most streets have Japanese names on them (other than the major roads which also have english) and navigation was a bit of a problem.  Pick your target jump off at the nearest station and take it from there.  It seemed to work well and I fitted loads in.  I'm quite surprised how little it cost.  On the first day I think I spent about £26 on sightseeing including my train fares and about £15 on the second day.  My two day ticket to Disney was also only about £65 so I didn't find Tokyo as expensive as folk told me it was going to be.  I spent more in London on sightseeing last year in a weekend than I did in 8 days in Tokyo.  Great value.  I'd rush back if it wasn't so bloody far away.  Could be a descent stopping off spot if I go and see my big sis in Australia again though....... image

• Does anybody know how to check out your race position?
  • AND I'm home and having a hard time getting off Tokyo time which is 17 hrs ahead!  My feet are killing me .. sightseeing everyday with a marathon thrown in somewhere is sick!  I love the pics, I don't care how much they are...priceless I tell you!  So glad I brought the race poster with all 36k names on it... I wish I had my CC on me since they had discounted stuff at the finish line.

I entered the ballot and got in... didn't go with a tour.  I would never go with a tour, it's just way too much money regardless of guaranteed entry. 

• I'm still over in Malaysia after Tokyo and still got wacky sleep patterns. Wake at around 4AM every morning and an early night every night! Back to UK on Thursday night, so that will be interesting.

Anthony, I'm thinking of going with a tour if I don't get a lottery ballot for Chicago this year, can't be that bad can they? 

• I think that I got my marathon place through a tour for Chicago but did the other bits myself like the hotel and flights? It's a great marathon to do.
  • My issue with tours is the $$, they overcharge to make their money and in return give you a guaranteed entry to a race that with time, you could eventually make it in on your own.  However, I'm not sure how long it will take me to get into London... I'll keep trying!

I'm bummed Chicago is now a lottery and now I just heard that one of my favs the Marine Corps is now a lottery this year and price has just went up.  I guess it's fair to say we runners will pay at all costs to do what we love.  image

• Results at last!!!!!!!!

Online and in the post with a newspaper list and a finishers certificate.

I made the 1st 2000 home.........just imageimageimage

• Well done! What a lovely thing to receive. I was number 136 lady yay!