ANSI/SNELL/BSI APPROVED HELMET?

Hi there!

I need a bit of help with something!

I want to buy a Helmet fit to compete in triathlons. I'm complete beginner though I usually run but I want to try a Tri. The thing is I'm a bit confused as I checked a couple of races and in the competitor notes specify ANSI/SNELL/BSI APPROVED HELMET but when you look in wiggles tri website or others for example; All helmets  are certified and labelled with a European CE EN1078

It's the same thing?  Thanks!!

Comments

• The British standard is identical to the European one EN1078, so you're fine.

In practice I don't recall the last time an official checked the standards sticker inside the helmet, normally they just check that the strap fastens and fits OK.

• good question

top answer.  

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

The British standard is identical to the European one EN1078, so you're fine.

In practice I don't recall the last time an official checked the standards sticker inside the helmet, normally they just check that the strap fastens and fits OK.

shite - if we had to check EVERY helmet sticker (and bearing in mind that many of them will have either come off or will be unreadable) then we'd never get you lot into racking in time for the race to start.  image

so we take the pragmatic approach - if you have a helmet, it's better than no helmet where we'd stop you racing.   and given that the majority of people doing tri will have forked out a decent wodge on a helmet then it's virtually 100% certain to meet the standards outlined.

• Agreed FB - I may be wrong but I think it's illegal to sell a helmet in the UK that doesn't meet (as a minimum) the EN standard).  You're certainly hard pushed to find one that isn't.

They used to just check that you had one, at one or two events recently officials have been checking that the straps are adjusted correctly and not too loose.

• we always make sure (and tell any transition marshals we work with) to check that the straps are adjusted correctly and not too loose.

I think too many people approach helmets as an unncessary evil so don't pay attention to what can happen if they crash - if the straps are too loose it means they can come over the chin in a fall with the helmet either coming off totally or moving so much that it's of little use at all if the head smacks the ground.  

interestingly the straps on my new Spesh Prevail helmet don't allow you to adjust where they sit under the ears, they are fixed.  that means provided the chinstrap is correct it will stay on the head fully in a fall.  

• THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!   TRIS! HERE I COME!

THANKS!