Ironman UK 2014

1192021222325»

Comments

• Crooky-BWFC wrote (see)

9ironsqrun didnt i see you on there

I will have to watch again, but did not see myself.

Other Pirates at:

22:10
    25:53
    42:00
    42:58 Uncharted Waters - again should have got his autograph!
    45:21 & 48:20 - Woody
    45:35 - Red Stripe

Sorry if I have the wrong names, please have a look anyway.

• Crooky-BWFC wrote (see)
    Effing Madness wrote (see)

Inspirational stuff from all those here, well done to all of you RESPECT!

I am more and more certain I will be joining you at the full distance soon! 

Ironman uk is open for entering

plenty of time to train 

Crooky, IMUK is a nasty course is it not? I am going half way at either Bala or the new Stafford 70.3 next year.  Is the IM experience worth the additional entry fee or is Bala the better option?

• Anybody comment on the bike course? Surely cannot be as hilly as some people claim?

Any comparisons to other courses? Ideally to France or Wales?

• I don't think its as tough as wales, the road condition is shocking.

You will have to check with Funkin after IM Wales as I know he's going to that.

Rosey has done both, but they have changed the bike course since then.

• GB - I think it's an underestimated course.

My Garmin had it at c.7000ft elevation, as compared with just over 8000ft for Lanza.

UK has a greater number of hills, albeit they are short and sharp, rather than draggy.

Can't comment with how it compares to Wales or Nice though, sorry.

• I heard the roads were terrible at IM UK, It's changed route since I did it as well.

Suppose the 3 times up Sheephouse when I did it were tedious, Whereas IM Nice was only one lap, which made it slightly more interesting, But you didn't know whereto make up time on the second and third lap (if that makes sense ?)

If the weather had been better, IM Nice would have been more fun, but harder IMHO

• Fair enough, thanks guys. Keen to know how my bike split of Nice (~5:40)would hold up on that course, have heard mixed reviews... Also am I right in thinking it's quite a lumpy run? Only 5 people in my a/g under 3:30 image

• Very lumpy run, yes.

1265ft elevation if that helps?

It is funny how different people perceived the course now you mention it.  I've heard people say that they found the bike course really quite breezy in parts, but I thought it was really still the whole way round.

I suppose some might say that the bike and run courses were a lot flatter than I considered them to be.

Anyway, it's a nice course, so whether it's lumpy, windy and hard or not, I liked it image

• I thought the bike course was hilly and windy, I really struggled with it in place. I didn't enjoy that part but I really loved the run with all the fantastic support.

• 9iron - yes that was me at 8:57 coming out of my first lap of the swim - thumbs up and happy.

It would have been a green faced, nauseous, grumpy Red Stripe coming out of lap 2 after my kicking !

• Having done a recci of the new IMUK course before race day, I enjoyed it on the day, yes its hilly but some great sweeping downhill sections. You need to prepare for the hills, its the sharp shorter new Hunters Hill that caught a lot of people put on second lap. Road surface rough in places and headwinds to match Lanza

• Red Stripe wrote (see)

Having done a recci of the new IMUK course before race day, I enjoyed it on the day, yes its hilly but some great sweeping downhill sections. You need to prepare for the hills, its the sharp shorter new Hunters Hill that caught a lot of people put on second lap. Road surface rough in places and headwinds to match Lanza

Really?!

• Pudge you were probably half way through your run when the winds around Belmont got up ! 

Really it was windy a nice crosser from the reservoirs 

• Hi Seren,

First crack at IM, 13:49, obviously great to finish, can't help feeling a little disappointed at the time, swim felt easy 1:22, bike felt fine 6:37, blew up on run though, bit hillier than expected and over heated, stomach felt bloated from the gels etc on the bike, ran the first 10 miles ok and then run, walked, 5:25....still a finish is a win and I'm signed up for next year having learnt a lot from this year, need to eat some more solids on the bike being one of them, running been limited due to an injury last couple of months so can make a dent in that next year (if I can stay clear of injuries....) still a tough course and anyone that got round has achieved....well done to everyone on here...bloody great day and the support was amazing..

• Firstly, a genuine thanks for all your messages of support to both myself and family during my brother-in-law's illness.  He has had surgery to remove the lump and all the tests have finally come back negative - the relief was tangible.

Congratulations to all who finished, some fantastic and courageous performances from the pirates, likewise in other iron distance events - Seren, you're going to smash 13 hours.

I've not done much since mid-July but looking forward to getting back into it and finishing the season off at IM Barcelona - hope to see some of you there.

Thanks again.

Sue x

• Hi Sue - glad to hear that, great news image

All the best for Barcelona, make sure you see out the season in style and with a bang!