Great South Run 2013

Comments

• G'day !  Orange for me too, LOVE this race (despite the usual walkers in Orange right from the start), but the price is now getting a bit silly ....  will be my 6th GSR, looking to do sub 1:15.  Fingers crossed that the wind isn't too bad this year ??!!!!!  Enjoy it everyone ...

• I looked up a weather forecast for the GSR weekend:

'unsettled weather conditions and mild for the time of year'.

So basically it could be anything but thankfully it shouldn't be so ch.ch.ch.chilly as last year.  The Pyramids sardine game is no fun image.

Went out for a 13k training run on sunday and got wet through and out to the other side!  But mission accomplished.

Glad to see this thread warm up - there must be at least a dozen of us running nowimage

• BTW green number for the green fairy...yes!image

• I ran 17 miles on Tuesday, plan to run tmw and then another short one next week before the gsr, 

unsettled weather! Don't mind rain but don't like wind!

• I'm with you on the rain front Zoe find it quite refreshing at times...although yesterday afternoons bright sunshine after a four mile run in the morning when it was pishing down seemed to be taking the proverbial somewhat....image 

• 17 miles Zoe!!!??? You'll overshoot the finish line and end up in Southampton!image

• I'm putting my GSR playlist together today - thinking about 'The Wind Of Change' as I hit the 8 mile mark, then my all time favourite, Pink Floyd's 'Run Like Hell' for the final mile.  Any other suggestions ??!!!!

• Green fairy I am hoping to do the portsmouth marathon in December, that is the furthest I have ever run!

i have just done 4 miles, some into a head wind which is good practice for the last 2 miles!

i will also be taking my boy over on the Saturday to do the kids race image

• What do the start colours mean? I am orange and aiming for 1.15.....are they done by estimated start times? Is it impossible to get a fast start? I really want a good time and don't want to get stuck behind walkers!!

• Go to the front of your wave, all waves end up with walkers in them

• Jane - Your run pack magazine will explain more about the 3 starting waves, each colour coded.  Orange is the first wave away so you won't have any walkers from other waves in your way.

• Clatters - "Rule Britannia" for the section through the historic dockyard!  image

Not running this year as been out of action with the same illness for over 2 years now, but this was one of my favourite runs, having done it 4 times.  

Can agree with the comments here - definatly found it easier to drive in, park up and chill.  Ok there is always some traffic on way out, but with crowds this is inevitable, much better than half hour walk to train though!!

Love the seafront miles (both first and last).  Ran it one year and the first mile saw the waves being washed over the pavement, such was the lovely weather.  Added some fun to it though!!  image  The second last mile ALWAYS seems to be into wind, mental strength.

There was an old peoples home at about 4 miles, where one year all the residents were outside on the pavement, yelling "oggy oggy oggy, oi, oi, oi!!"  Brilliant!!

Have a great run everyone and enjoy.

• Thanks folks!! Not read it all yet so will have a look through! Dreading that last mile now! 

• This will be my 4th GSR and I'm VERY excited. I've even made it into the first wave this year! My times have really come down over the years (1hr 49, 1hr 39, 1hr 31) so I'm aiming to finish around 85 mins and thrash my sister in law to be. Training is on point so far so feeling confident.

I'm from Pompey so it's nice to go and race there and see my family afterwards. I'll also be accompanying one of our elite athletes who has a very good chance of winning so should be quite an exciting day.

• I ain't liking the look of the five day weather forecast for Sunday on the BBC...
  • Supermoo - Hopefully you'll be taking less than 5 days to finish so the forecast is irrelevant image

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24654390

80mph wnds forecasted for Monday - let's hope they don't come early - or if they do let's hope they are tail-winds and not head-winds !!

• My 7 year old is running Saturday there so just hope the weather is kind for him, I did it in 2008 and weather was horrendous!

• The forecast is for heavy rain showers and strong winds sunday morning.  Let's hope they blow through early and we get the benefit of the 'calm' before the storm forecast for the evening (by which most should have finished image)

Getting very excited/nervous about it all, which is quite normal.  Car parking on the common will be fun this year given the rain we've already had let alone what will descend between now and sunday lunchtime.  Hope some tractors have been arranged to pull the cars out of the mud!

Hope all niggles and sniffles have remained just that and not got worse. image

• Amber weather warnings. But does it matter too much? We are still going to all do it arent we? Hehe

• NineDeuce - Oh yes that's for sureimage

32mph winds gusting to 48mph........bring it on!image

• And that is just Green Fairy flapping his wings:-P
  • "Wind is my friend, wind is my friend, wind is my friend" ....ahh, who am I kidding - I HATE the wind !!!!  Will still be trying for the PB I've been training towards for the past few months, but if it doesn't happen because of the wind then I just have to control my disappointment and get over it !!!  If it's NOT windy and I don't get that PB, then I'm REALLY going to give myself a good kicking !!!!

• Hiya,

Really looking forward to my first GSR, am in White as I'm aiming for 1:40 - 1:50. I'm looking forward to it regardless of what the weather throws. I've done training in rain and sun, and prefer the rain (mild insanity, possibly...).

Question: Do people do earphones on the run, or is it considered bad form ?

Thanks and Good luck on Sunday! image

• Super Moo - I have never gusted to 48mph before!

Clatters - rest assured it will be windyimage

Nick Haslam - hope you have a good GSR baptism.  Earphones etc a touchy subject and they are frowned upon by organisers for safety reasons ie you can't hear instructions from marshalls, warnings from other runners (eg 'guided blind runner coming through')and even the emergency services.  Not sure if they are banned this year so check the race brochure.

Yay! Great weather forecast for tomorrow (at the moment). Just the wind.image

• i'm back again after last year loved it. but not been able to train as much this year image hoping the wind will be behind us for the last 2 miles or it could be the longest and hardest 2 miles!! good luck everyone x 

• I took my 7 year old over today for the kids race, quite muddy on the fields around start line and it was very windy!

• Good luck to all running tomorrow image

Please say Hi if you meet a green fairy image

• Must remember to put clock back!