VO2 max, sub 40 min 10K, Martin Rees, intervals

Hello, am new to the forum and wanted to ask for information on VO2 max, professional runners and interval training.

I've been running for over a year, ran my first 10KM race in Oct 12 in 42:08 (flat course, good weather). Goal is breaking the 40 min mark and it seems that the best way of doing this is with interval training to increase ones VO2 max PLUS sheer mileage; 3 days a week won't seem to cut it looking at training plans, one has to do 4-6 days a week, long runs, fast runs, easy runs, intervals.

I did an easy run yesterday of 14.5km with a pace of 4'55/km, inc a sprint finish for 150m approx at 4:02/km. In my 10KM last year my final KM was a 3:54/km, which suggests to me that physiologically my legs are capable of the speed, which brings me onto Martin Rees www.athleticsweekly.com/coaching/how-they-train-martin-rees/ 60 years old and 32 min 10KM. I have run a KM in 3:19 but wouldn't be able to sustain it for 9 more, so the difference is just VO2 thresholds? He didn't really start until he was 37 'properly', does that mean if he started when he was 17 yrs old would he have been able to develop a bigger/higher VO2 max?

When top runners are running at

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

From what I have read (Lydiards athletics training in particular) he is of the view that anyones vo2 can only be developed to a certain level whether a professional athlete or good local runner. He suggests that the best way to develop is by pushing up and improving your aerobic fitness by doing a lot of aerobic easy running with a reasonable amount of it at the top of the aerobic zone so roughly marathon pace.

There are lots of people with lots of views but the key thing I have learnt which seems fairly consistent is to be consistent with your running week in week out and have a purpose for every session you do.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

If you are interested in Martin Rees' training, he has also been interviewed   on Marathon Talk (I think it was end of last year)

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you have been running for just a year then 40 mins should be attainable with just a decent structured training plan.

I've heard the marathon talk interview and one of the things I took out if it was that he didn't seem to get too technical with his training. From memory his only interval session was 8x3 mins. No mention of splits/ VO2 max etc.

find yourself a decent training plan and stick to it.

Don't run your easy runs too hard.

Edit- the MT interview was June this yr.
  • Great cheers all. Noted about the easy runs, I run down a boardwalk which is quite narrow and sometimes the allure of picking up the pace when you encounter another runner is too strong. I did a bit of searching, i think I'm going to get this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lore-Running-Tim-Noakes/dp/0873229592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377523231&sr=8-1&keywords=lore+of+running the preview sold me, chiefly that VO2 max and running economy are two different things.

I've downloaded a couple of training plans from the web for sub 40 10K, I think I will tailor them slightly. I don't like one having interval work on a Monday after Sunday's long easy run. My knee is a bit achey today and needs rest. 

• Just listening to that Martin Rees, interesting chap, the question about HRM, GPS, "I'm just out of the door and go". Blimey.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, sensible to have  a day between long run  and intervals! All the older guys at my club have the same attitude about gizmos and use the argument that in the 70's and 80's no one worried about that stuff and the quality of distance running was far better!