Decent Book Suggestions

13»

Comments

• Have also just finished a James Herbert book called Domain, the third in a trilogy about rats, its about a nucular war and the survivors getting munched on by rats in London, very gruesome.

As you can tell I love horror.

Still like S.King, PB...........
  • Jon - what is Harry Potter ? I think your e-mail went off prematurely ! ;-)

And are you allowed to read books now you've gone off to join the monastery ?

(sorry fusing two threads together here !)

Didn't like McCarthys bar - couldn't find it funny and stopped. I did like Around Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks though,
    pretty similar, only more refrigeration equipment in his.
  • Couldn't help but add this one:
    Between Extremes - John McCarthy & Brian Keenan
    Yes them! They travel round (or down) Chile, and the books told like a diary from both of them.
  • Looks like we could have an Unofficial Runners World Book Club on our (virtual) hands!
  • When it comes to Horror - i think you cannot beat the old 'Pan Books of Horror'

:o)
  • Yes PB have read The Talisman very good.

I am reading at the moment, Timeline by Michael Crichton, a bunch of archaeologists get sent back 600 years to a time of knights, jousting and all that malarky, very good so far......

PB I will try Touching the Void, cheers..
  • Will I remember them I read quite a few in fact more than quite a few, maybee thats why I have grey hair now............
  • Another favourite author of mine is Philip K Dick who recently seems in vogue, with a number of his books making it to the big screen, including:

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale – became the film Total Recall
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? – became the film Blade Runner
    Minority Report – Originally a short story

And

Impostors

All SiFi that concentrates on the characters rather than way out gadgets etc

Will
  • Daisy Dog - I think we have the same books on our bookshelf!

PB - Yes! Touching the Void - the most riveting read ever. I picked it up again recently to check a reference in it and found myself an hour later still crouched by the bookshelves re-reading it! Cath, if mountaineering literature grabs you, anything by Stephen Venables and Greg Child are a good read as well.

Also ... Perfume by Patrick Suskind - very disturbing, French novel (luckily, translated into English).

And a friend recently lent me Bad Blood by Lorna Sage - not sure how I'd describe it, a phychological/literary biograhy?? of a woman growing up in 1950s Wales.

Also, anything by Ian McEwan - I prefer the earlier novels and short stories but they are very, very disturbing!

At the moment I'm raiding my local library for the books by Amy Tam and Irish Murdoch that I haven't yet read - really enjoying them, but the Amy Tam books make me cry!

Hope this helps!

Liz

• Another good book I read recently was "Travels With My Radio" by Fi Glover - she travels round the world meeting people with bizarre radio shows, or who work on radio shows in odd locations. She avoids the obvious people like Howard Stern, but meets some great characters in places like Montserrat. And Fi's slightly skewed sense of humour really shines through. Very highly recommended.
  • I would highly recommend a book called French Revolutions by Tim Moore. It is so funny, about a chap who tries to get fit and follow the Tour de France route around France on his bike, although he first has to get fit, and purchase and learn to ride a racing bike. He writes other funny travel books, Frost on my moustache and another about the Grand Tour, which I can't remember at present. They are so funny, especially French Revolutions.....a must read....
  • If you want inspiration try Nelson Mandela's 'Long Walk to Freedom'

If you want laughs try Bill Bryson's 'A Walk in the Woods'

If you want tears try Alan Paton's 'Cry the Beloved Country'
  • Cath, if you like biographical stuff, try Sara Wheeler's biog of Apsley Cherry Garrard (Bad name, but don't let it put you off), who limped off to the Pole with Scott, hung from cliffs by his fingernails, stuff like that. (He had no luck). Comes across as a lovely bloke though.
  • Hi Cath, I wonder if you're still reading this. I haven't read the previous threads, so sorry if I'm repeating anything...
    Currently reading McCarthy's Bar, by Pete McCarthy. I keep LOLing on the tube! It's very funny, and a great book for a Plastic Paddy like me. I also loved the Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera - but I can't remember why now, must read it again. Birdsong, that one about the newspaper man in the wilds of Canada - sorry can't remember the title, um, Wind in the Willows, and Heidi did it for me too. Happy reading

• Eggs - On the subject of Garrard, have you read his book? It's called "The Worst Journey In The World", and it's brilliant. Quite heavy going in places, but well worth the effort.
  • So Mccarthy's Bar gets a few suggestions too eh..?!

Prodigal -- Have read both of the books that are out on Nelson Mandela. The "Long Walk to Freedom" one was the better of the two!

Okay, so I've now got a huge list and I bought the first 4 yesterday...

Billy -- Pamela Stephenson
    Catch 22 -- Joseph Heller
    Carpe Jugulum -- Terry Pratchett
    The Hippopotamus -- Stephen Fry

• "Catch 22" is an excellent book: the sequel, on the other hand, "Closing Time" is more than a little weird.

If you like Joseph Heller, try reading "Good As Gold" which is very funny, and a bit easier going.

Oh, and can I recommend "Great Apes" by Will Self. Don't know how I forgot to mention Will Self before now, especially since he's one of my favourites!
  • Catch 22 is excellent, as is The Hippopotamus.......in fact anything by Stephen Fry is hilarious!
  • Another vote for Atonement but without giving the ending way, did anyone else find it extremely annoying at the end?? It almost spoilt the whole book for me. Not read the whole thread but I'll be amazed if Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes isnt in here somewhere. It should be. And anything by Armistead Maupin. The first chapter of Enduring Love (Ian McEwan again) is probably the most gripping (or not!) in modern literature. Anyway, must go, time to annoy run4yourlife again by pulling bits of his windscreen wiper off.
  • Disagree about French Revolutions. Cheap shots at the French does not a Bill Bryson make.
  • I enjoyed Bold Man of the Sea by Jim Shekhdar. One mans journey rowing across the Pacific unsupported.

Gareth
  • Margarette Atwood writes good books.I like Amy Tan, too and whoever it was who wrote The Colour Purple (sorry - you wouldn't believe that I work in a library - I can't remember her name!). Also there's another good book I'd like to recommend but it's in the basement and I can't go and check the title right now because I'm on duty! I'll let you know what it is later.
  • Alice Walker wrote Colour Purple
  • oh yes of course! It was there, lurking in the back of my mind!