Running in the City?

Just wondered if there's anyone else out there working in the City who fancies meeting up for an occasional run at lunchtime along the river?

I was thinking of a round-run on the North Bank from Cannon Street across Hungerford Bridge, along South Bank, over Tower Bridge and back. Or summat.

About 4 miles or so. All other routes happily considered, that just looks like an obvious one.

Pace somewhere between 8-10 min miles depending on level of fatigue!

Comments

• What's a lunch break?
    I run in along the river 3 mornings a week from Greenwich if you live out that way, but I warn you it is fairly early (at the office by 7:00 at the latest).
    It still amazes me how many people I see running at that time.
  • Nick - I haven't had many lunch breaks recently, that's why I'm desperately trying to plan a couple!

Hmm, running into work from Greenwich... I do indeed live out that way, I run in Greenwich Park when it opens at 6, sometimes have to do a loop of Blackheath first if it's too early, so the time doesn't scare me.

What kind of pace do you run at? I'm definitely at the slower end of the scale in the mornings... with a backpack, I'd prob be around 9.5 min/miles at 5:45am! Would that be too slow for you? If not, would love to join you occasionally, as I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to do that route by myself. Email me if you'd rather...

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Snail: Don't know South Bank too well, but according to www.rac.co.uk that rout is about 5 miles (40-50mins). I'd be interested.
  • excellent... is it really?! I just looked at it on multimap and guessed from the scale bar underneath, so it was very approximate.

Do you fancy giving it a go tomorrow? Otherwise poss next Monday, or the following Mon/Tues/Wed.
  • Snail - pace isn't a problem, I do 1 really hard run where I am just managing 8 min miles but the other 2 times I am in the 9-9.25 min mile region. The route isn't too pretty for the 1st half going along Evelyn Street through Deptford (but it is the FLM route!)which probably speeds me up. I join the river @ Rotherhithe & then cross London Bridge into the City about 5.5 miles in total.
    It is nicer to run home along the north bank & through the foot tunnel @ Island Garden, been busy in the evenings recently but will start doing that again after xmas.
    Drop me an email if you feel like joining me in either direction.
  • Thanks Nick. Ashley Smith and Plum have both been kind enough to accompany me home in the past (and we do the London Bridge / south bank / Deptford / get eggs thrown at you route!) but as neither actually works in the City or lives in Greenwich or wants to be in the City by 7, I don't really think it would be fair to ask them to run with me going the other way!

Anyway, am emailing you now...
  • ... oh no I'm not. Although you've got the email member button, it just comes up with 'This member has chosen to keep their details private'.

Please would you try emailing me, and I'll reply?

Thanks very much!
  • Snail,

Can never remember the bridge names but I run a lunchtime route from Liverpool Street down to the Embankment North side just passed Southwark? Bridge then up to and over Westminster and back south side via Blackfriars? bridge. I'd guess the route is just over 5 miles probably 4-4.5 from a Cannon Street start. Cuts out the twisty and cobbled bits between Cannon Street and Tower Bridge and minimum roads to cross.

Usually leave L/St about 11.50 to would be at Cannon St around 11.55 ish if interested.

Usually see loads of people on their own and often wondered if any were fellow forumites!
  • Now that also sounds good... I'm being spoilt for choice here :-)

I keep seeing loads of people running at lunchtime, and, like you, wonder whether they're forumites - thought I'd have more luck posting on here than randomly walking up to somebody in running kit and asking if I can join them.

Though it's pretty much the same thing, really, isn't it?! 'Snail appeals for friends'...

11.55 is probably a little too early for me though; there's a kind of unwritten rule that you can't leave for lunch before noon... realistically 12.30 at Cannon St is probably the earliest, as I'm up near London Wall/Moorgate and would have to drop my stuff off at the Cannons gym first (no changing facilities at work).

If you happen to be going later any day, I'd love to join you, though.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Snail et al: Cool! I'm based right near Cannon St. Please drop me an email and we'll organise a lunchtime run for this week and/or next. All I ask is for you lot to go easy on me as I' ve only been running for a few months.

NRG-ByName-Lethargy-ByNature-B
  • OK, will bear that in mind, no real pressure on lunch timings here so could be flexible, I tend to leave early as I am a 7.00 starter and would be passing out if left too late to run/lunch!

Shame you don't have changing at work as I am only round the corner in Old Broad Street. I'll see how the schedule pans out next week and let you know.
  • I'm a bit worried about meeting up with any of you lot now, in case I actually know you through work and you realise who it is who's been whinging about working late nights! Promise you won't tell tales?!

Humph, guessed that might be the case; I often start before 7 but as I'm usually here past 8 or 9, I normally go for lunch about 2 or 3. Could try going earlier, I just might get some odd looks/comments!

NRG-B - no problem, you'll prob find you're going easy on me!

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Snail: Check your email.

Hey, that rhymes!
  • Crikey, Snail, that's long hours.

I would be happy to pitch in on occasion; I'm based further West [edge of the Temple] but not difficult to get to your neck of the woods.
  • Snail, I hope your still going have time to run with me occasionally! :-)
  • The downside of business picking up!

With all this running, I won't have time for work ;-)

BT - I'm giving up my HOLIDAY to run with you, don't you start!

• May be able to manage a lunch time run with the run-up to Xmas and associated reduced workload, so just watching for the time being.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Snail and I went running this lunchtime. From Cannons Gym near Cannon St Stn. Headed west along Upper Thames St, south across the pedestrian walkway near Hungerford bridge, East along the South Bank and then north up London Bridge back to the Gym.

I reckon it was about 4 - 4.5 miles, nice easy pace, took about 30-35 mins. Only problem was to dodge all the runners who were rapidly overtaking us!!

This is a fab route & I plan to run it (and beyond!) most lunchtimes. And maybe mornings too about 6.30-7AM. Feel free to join in.

Snail, it was great to run & chat with you - Thanks!
  • Well done NRG-B & Snail,

No lunch run for me today due to club track session planned for tonight. I'm up for Friday though if anyone is about. Pace sounds fine to me.

Snail, your hours sound frightening, whilst I start early I aim to be away early, well about 5.15 to keep Mrs & junior Humphs happy!
  • hate to disappoint, NRG-B, but I suspect that you've done that typical bloke thing of overstating the length ;-) I think it was probably just under 4 miles, 32 mins, at a pace of about 8.5 min/miles. But I will allow that it would have been further/faster if you'd had your way!!

(I got confused as to how far we'd gone, thought we were only about halfway going past southwark bridge, and felt the time pressure. Clearly we were well past halfway and I'm just stoopid)

Hadn't realised quite how many people run at lunchtime - don't think many tourists had either, cos I heard loads of Americans exclaiming about the number of runners. The German and Spanish tourists might have been too, but I couldn't understand them.

Thanks to NRG-B for the run - and next time, I'm not going to bother to dress up quite so warmly.

10 minute miles, my @rse!

• Humph, I'm VERY jealous! I'm celebrating if I'm out of here at 6 - but then I have to look up train times as I don't have a clue what trains leave so early!

I'm not around Friday, poss Mon or Tues next week, or poss Mon or Tues of the following week. Any good for anyone?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Where the time went I do not know,
    do not care,
    for this Bee will grace FLM next year.

- Hey that rhymes (quite badly) too!
  • Tuesday is OK for me. If you really want to bump into some tourists try running past the Lodon Eye & Aquarium, they only move diagonally and at random speeds round there.
  • Yep - I agree the London Eye is a great place for knocking over the odd tourist, I've no doubt I'll get a few on tonights 16 - 18 miler!!
  • BigBob - are you doing Nick's long run? or are you doing a completely different one? I want to try a long run (only 12-13 miles though) one week, but am a little worried everyone's too fast...

NRG-B - can you do Tues? Sounds like a Plan to me! Will wear my super speedy bottoms and try desperately to keep up with you and Humph... I'd rather not bump into any tourists though, if it's all the same to you, Humph...
  • Snail - You should do Nicks long run, I think you would really enjoy it. I used to co-organise these with him last year and you will definately NOT be the slowest, remember the runs are paced at the slowest persons pace and they aim to leave nobody behind. At the moment they are still running 12 miles but after xmas they will increase as they are structured to help people prepare for the FLM. I have many happy memories of pacing a 22 mile run last winter in the rain for the begginers.

I myself am doing my own training runs with Lars on a Wednesdays, due to the fact that we both finish work at 4.30pm. I prefer to do a bit longer!!!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Snail, so far I can do nearly every morning and lunchtime between now till Xmas. Just let me know the day before so that I can bring my kit.

If you need a City Running Partner, if no-one else will run with you, then maybe....just maybe...you can call on NRG-B!

Ahhh...my misspent youth....
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BigBob: Please tell me more about these long runs ie where and when do they take place. Would love to come along, if I may?
  • NRG-B Nicks long runs are part of the Serpentine RC Wednesday night runs which leave the Seymore Centre at 6.45 pm every week, anybody is welcome to join these. I have many routes around the Thames, Hyde park, Battersea Park, Greenwich upto about 25 miles. Of course my long runs usually take place early on Wednesday and sometimes on Sundays depending on races etc.
  • well, after complaining about hours, I got out of here at 6 last night and made it to a Serpies Weds run for the first time since September!

BigBob if I remember, I may email you about your long Thames/Greenwich runs!

Anyone else joining Humph, NRG-B and me on Tuesday?