Running in the City?

Comments

• Snail - Feel free!! We are trying to get the route-maps uploaded onto the London Routes section of the Serpie website. In the new year, I will be organising a few weekend 20+ milers at a slow pace, you will be welcome to join us.

Rob
  • Oh no! Just realised I can't do Tues lunchtime :-( client meetings all morning/lunchtime.

BigBob - guess I'll have to get my longest run past 13 miles if you start at 20!

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Ok, who's up for a lunchtime run with Humph & I starting somewhere near Cannon St next Tuesday?
  • NRG-B, Still up for this? I've had a bit of a cold for last few days but should be OK for a run out tomorrow lunch time.

I'll be running down from bank junction toward Cannon Street, a good meeting point could be on the corner by the 'trader on mobile statue'. Do you want to suggest a time..... 12.00 is great for me.

H
  • Boing.

Well, we've all been back at work for a week or more - what are the excuses?!

anyone up for a lunchtime run sometime this week?

Can't remember what my diary's like, cos it's at work, but Tuesday's probably ok?

We've moved office, now near St Paul's - however, that means I'm actually 3 mins closer to Cannon St than before.
  • ps BigBob - are you planning any long Greenwich/Thames routes? Not sure I'd be up to 20+ but if you're doing anything where I could peel off after 15 or so, that would be good...

• Yes, still up for these and was out every day last week so feeling very full of virtue! (boss on holiday, but back today, boo).

Cannon St or St Pauls are easy for me, what about 12.15 Tuesday to meet near the station?

NRG-B, you still around? I see you have been training hard from a quick view of the training thread.

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Yep I'm still around. Not training as hard as others though. Humph, were we meant to have run on Tue 9th Dec? Am very sorry I seem to have missed your post!

Tuesday 12:15 right outside Cannon St tube stn will be ideal - Humph you have email. I do all my training runs early AM (or late eve.) so I hope I can keep up with you during lunchtime. Also Wed, Thu and Fri lunchtimes are OK by me too.
  • Can I join in. I run round the river most lunchtimes starting from Custom House (on upper thames street). I can make it to cannon street by 12:15.

However, will not be available until Friday this week. upforit?
  • More the merrier, I see so many people running the same or similar routes in 1 and 2's that I'm sure we must have all passed each other before.

Getting an informal group together will add some extra enjoyment to the usual game of dodge the tourist!
  • Can't we just play "run over the tourist"? so much more satisfying!

12:15 tomorrow should be fine, will know about the rest of the week later today!
  • I did once use that approach to a particularly wide American who seemed to lock in on my path, whichever way I moved he countered, this was on the millenium bridge by Charing Cross and it was either run into him, his elderly companion or the river, he lost!

See you all tomorrow.
  • guess what, work's intervened. Don't think I'll be able to make tomorrow :-(
  • work does have an awful capacity for doing that during one's working day, and even during one's working night!
  • OK then, any more for the innaugural Training thread London City lunchtime runners club today?

12.15 on corner of Cannon St and Walbrook for a leisurely jog along the embankment.
  • would love to but Tuesday is a bad day for me: out running with a colleagues at 1
  • Crafty Boy, Maybe later in the week then, possibly Thurs?

I'm not in Friday and Wednesday is club track night so dare not run at lunchtime as well!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I can't say I envy you running in the city, but your river runs sound very nice!

How do you manage to go for runs at lunchtime?

Do you have set lunch breaks or are you your own boss and take what time you need?
  • Hilly,

I work for a city bank and am very lucky in that we have a flexible approach to lunch, on the flipside we get caught for the 'professional day' and thus have a flexible approach to going home, this can really put a downer on evening running. I'm sure Snail will concur!

Just back from a very windy jaunt with NRG-B, good to get together. Hopefully Snail, Twofer and Crafty Boy can join us next week.
  • sore point, Hilly! theoretically I can take an hour for lunch at any time I like between 12 and 3. In practice, I usually end up either with back-to-back meetings and no lunch, or a working lunch (very nice restaurants, good food, good wine, so I can't really complain - but it is work and no time to do anything for myself!), or - worst of all - sitting at my desk waiting for a phone call which needs to be acted on at once, but which could come any time between noon and midnight...

Hope you all had a good one today. I should be able to do Thursday, though would have to confirm on the morning. Any chance of making it 12:30 though, I have to drop off kit at the gym first? (new shower in new office has new teething problems!!)
  • Humph - oh yes! and don't forget about the flexible approach to coming in, too - flexible one way, ie, earlier!

• Hmmm, I seem to have maxxed out on that one, I already get the 1st train in! but I know what you mean. I do try and leave at a humane hour so that I can occasionally visit the family at home, I'll let you know after my appraisal this afternoon if this have proved a sensible approach!!!!

12.30 Thursday should be no problem, drop a line on the morning and we'll confirm times/locations etc.
  • Thursday will also be good for me.
  • Humph, well up for it next week. Will be running this friday lunchtime.

Anyone on this thread running in the Dartford 10 or Watford 1/2 this month?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It all sounds another world to me!

I have rather a 'lazy' paced life compared to that in the city.

Get up at 7am
    Leave house at 8am
    Work from 8.30am-3.30pm (50 mins for lunch 12.25-1.15)
    Home with family from then to do whatever needs to be done.

Mind I don't get the pay that one earns in the city either!

Glad you enjoyed your run btw! :o)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same situation as Humph in that I work for an Investment Bank - we have flexible hours too but as Humph says sometimes the days are toooooo long.

Humph, thanks very much for running with me. It was interesting to chat. I can't do Thursday but can run this Friday and anytime next week.
  • I am doing the Box Hill fell race on Satursday (in my stupidity!)
  • I'm doing the Watford 1/2 (Canterbury 10 the week before).

Hilly, can we swap, please?!

Work normally starts at 8ish, but often 6.45. Couldn't give a normal finishing time. Allegedly, I work 9-5.30, though the last 5 weeks before Xmas were all 70-80 hours plus. I'm convinced I'd earn more per hour in McDonald's... particularly after the tax has been taken off.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd survive Snail. I'd be burnt out in a week!
  • Friday 12:15 Cannon Street Station any one?