Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• I carb load to the extent that I eat whenever I feel the slightest bit hungry from the Friday (for a Sunday marathon), decreasing protein, fat, fruit and veg, and eat a bigger portion of carbs than I would otherwise on the Saturday evening (is usually pasta with a tomato sauce and fish but as I'm away from home it's going to be gf pizza from Pizza Hut, have experimented doing a long run after this meal and was fine for 20 miles on fresh air as usual so it will hopefully work). Marathon day I have a good breakfast - porridge or muesli - and will carry 5 gels but probably not use all of them.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • At what points during a race do people take their gels? Bit inexperienced with taking them, when i've done my long runs of 20 miles i took one at 6 and then 12.

any advice?

• IW - different people use them at different times. My idea is that i have plenty of fuel on board for the fist 18 miles so if i do use them (dont always) i would start at 13 - 15 miles so they kick in for the last 6 miles as thats when i would need them.

But you see some people kicking them back like candy on the start line, looking like a terrorist with gels strapped to them like grenades!

• That made me laugh Wenty!

Well I carry my gels 'discreetly'....

I don't have a fixed pattern for when to take them. Nothing in the first 90minutes anyway. After that when I dip mentally, I suppose, and then one every 30-35 minutes or so. I might take 3 or 4 I think....

• Remember that there will be Jaffa cakes as well as other fuel and drinks at the aid stations, so you don't have to bring too many gels along.

• Thanks all, yes I will be having cake, I'll have a few! image

I have joined the 100 club a few months back, like a plonker I had a list but they required every date!! image fortunately I got a good mate who came to my survival, there pretty thorough which is good. My 100 club medal and vest have arrived and I can't wait to try it on.

Booked up Dubai as a treat for my 101 image  

Zoe, for a goal race I'll carb deplete, defiantly had my best results with it. I usually run a 10k race or jog 8m on the Sunday then meat only till Thursday breakfast. Eat normal till sat then just eat lots of small meals, snacks etc stuff I enjoy. I put weight on easy so if I carb up for 3/4 days I'm like billy bunter on the start line. I tend to go for a whole soreen with Nutella on for breakfast nowadays. I think there are high 5 gels at the turnaround feed station? 

Sat/sun will be tough, not in the best of shape at the mo, did 3.03 sat and 3.01 sun last yr but won't be near that this year unfortunately. 

Keep ticking along everyone, stay healthy and pop in some Vit C to hopefully keep them bugs away. 

• Unfortunately I'm wheat intolerant so won't be able to rely on mince pies to keep me going! My forts gel will probably be around 13 miles and maybe every 30 - 45 minutes thereafter if I feel the need.

• Power Bar or Power Gel is what I normally use on long runs. But since it's Christmas I will be nom nom nomming at least half a box of Jaffa cakes on race day.

i agree with Muzza about the carb depletion thing, I do a similar thing. I don't load up on carbs throughout the week and I also don't like toeing the start line feeling fat and lazy.

• Last year at Portsmouth I got a coffee gel at a water station.Took with no water and it was disgusting.Nearly threw up.image.Ages before the taste went away.

Run about 7 miles this morning in the damp cold fog.Now the throat is sore and chest is a bit dodgy.Hope it wont turn into a full on cold.If it does i'll do as little as possible until the day.Felt good on the run though.

Stay warm people.

• Im interested in the carb depletion thing as from what i have read, there is more harm than good done by carb depletion as you would need to run 18 miles about 5 days before the marathon to carb deplete, before carb loading (which is what people thought 15-20 years ago), and recent research has doubted if the superconcentration effect really occurs after depletion.

I think all research accepts that carb loading though does help store more glycogen (between 400g and 800g)

• Dutch Francis, I think your use of gels is spot on and is basically my approach as well.

• Hi guys just thought I'd pop in and say hello to one and all. This will be my third marathon after running Edinburgh and Chester earlier this year. I'm well into my 50s and managed to crack the 4hr barrier on both occasions (only just at Chester).

The thought of not running on tarmac roads frightens the life out of me - I'm a bit of a pussycat about other surfaces so why I've entered Portsmouth is hard to fathom. Maybe it's just for the mince pies and the rum.

Only managed to get two 20 plus runs in during training because it was a late decision to enter plus a half marathon in Conwy. Hopefully I'll have enough in the tank to get me through.

Had a look at the 10 day weather forecast and it looks like being very windy on the south coast next week. Bloody great. Still I'm sure we'll all have a great day.

• If it ain't raining we ain't training and if it ain't snowing we ain't going. You'll be fine, what's a bit of wind other than moving air. It might turn out to be a strong tail wind pushing you to the finish line faster.

• Well the cold has now turned into a chesty cough, im being sensible and not running till the worst has gone.

Just hope it clears up soon.

And thanks for advice on gels and foodcarbs.
  • Looking forward to the race. Been sold out for ages. I bet not every one turns up though image

• I'm always tempted not to turn up!

• And I've got a niggle! Side of the knee, could be a recurrence of ITB. Didn't feel it during yesterday's run but felt it afterwards when I cooled down and is still there today. It's not too bad, but er....

Hmm.....

• Mmmm, niggles. Same here. I over trained and now I am paying for it. Side of the knee too. I will just take it easy until race day and hope for the best. But I will definitely be there.

• I also have small pain side of knee where i normally get it same side Mine is ITB! But i can normally manage it now. so should be ok for portsmouth, not even racked many miles up in previous months - but i have upped my long runs from 6 miels to 17 in one week with hills next day, so that might be it!

• All these niggles - must be taper time!

Sounds like some serious foam roller action needed on a few ITBs.

• Get that tennis ball on the glutes and roller that ITB best get it settled now. image ouch!!

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Went out for a nice 3 hours this morning first thing and also am feeling aches - joints mainly so could be cold snap of last couple of days also, or at least think it may be for me. I'm sure that you'll all be ok by next week

Still much milder today, froze walking to work yesterday but was top zipped down and gloves off jogging a couple of hours earlier in the morning today! I wonder which we'll get in a week's time

Just seen the note from the organiser that aid stations will be well stocked for those discussing gels and carbs above in this thread - sounded more like an ultra. Also now seen that they'll even have mulled wine! Almost hope it will be cold so as to enjoy that (and add 15mins or so to my run time!)

• Yes my Glutes have taken a hammering recently - I wriggle round on a cricket ball - ouch! not sure it even does much good. Foam roller on ITB def works.

Sounds like a picnic not a marathon.

• Knee is getting better - confident that I'll start. and when I start, I will finish!

Stay healthy you all....

• Will do 6 miles Monday I think, going to try and finish early on Saturday from work, start new ward next week too just for a month though, can't believe it's next week!

• Think I may have been a bit mad, 2.55 today I think tomorrow could get messy image

• Will run 10 miles tomorrow, which will be my last longish run.

• Oh wow Muzza! Inspirational. Good luck tomorrow.

I haven't run since wed but knee is really improving. Niggle virtually there. Might do a couple of plods between now and next sunday - but the aim is now to get to the starting line in one piece...

• Thanks Dutch Francis, short and sweet as u can't gain fitness now. Like you starting is the key! Fingers crossed for you. 

• Hope you have a good run today Muzza.

Glad to hear the knee is improving Francis.

10 for me today too Terence - seems strange as a 'long' run doesn't it?