Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• A slow and easy 14miler for me. I hope the rain waits until I get back at least. Then some serious tapering next week and plenty of foam rolling. 

• Ten yesterday for me - meant to keep it slow, but very difficult to put the brakes on. What are people's feelings about running kit on the day? I've been finding that running tights and two layers is too much clobber given the mild winter. But I don't have experience of running by the sea. What do people think?

• Craig J,

I've been having similar thoughts. I've decided to go with long legs and two layers on top along with hat and gloves. I'll be using my hydration pack as a back pack so I'll be able to adopt to varying conditions hopefully!

Finally, with family support, I'll have the option of dumping clobber with them at the turning point if needed.

Good luck with your choices.

TS

• Craig - I can't race in anything more than shorts, vest, buff and fingerless gloves.

TS - a hydration pack? Do you need that with the aid stations or are you in training for something self supported?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMS, It's more about the carrying capacity rather than the hydration. Having the option of removing my hat, gloves and jacket etc is worth the little extra weight the pack entails.

It's worked for my longer runs thus far.

• I cant run with loads of kit,i get hot quick and sweat loads so even when its freezing weather I have to wear shorts, vest and a thin over jacket which is what I will wear just to keep the wind out.

Its weird because I hate the cold and when I go out when im not running I wrap up with hat,gloves and loads of layers.Dont enjoy the cold winter at all.

8 miles this morning with the boys on bikes.

• 14 miler done this morning, so I think I am ready For next week. I shall bring a backpack for my hydration bladder and my wallet and phone and a jacket for after the race. 2 or 3 kilos don't bother me much.

• Probably vest and shorts for me, did the Santa race today with my 7 year old and he did 3 miles in 36 mins

• Probably a compression top, with technical t shirt on top of that; shorts, gloves and hat. Ran a controlled 10 miles this morning at an average pace of 10.21 and average heart rate of 113.

I don't consider a hydration bladder to be necessary, as there are plenty of drinks stations. I ran the south downs marathon in June on one of the hottest days of the year, and relied on a bottle of water only, at each drinks station.

The organisers recommended that we carry a mobile phone, and they would advise numbers to call in case of emergencies. These weren't included in the last e mail, so I presume we will get another, before Sunday.

What time are runners intending to arrive? I thought about 7.30, to give enough time for parking, registering, pinning on number, attaching chip to trainers, depositing kit bag etc. Don't forget  loose change for the parking meters, unless you park by the canoe lake.

• No glad tidings from Portsmouth...

My daughter did a hockey tournament at Langstone today (that's next the Portsmouth part of the course) and the weather was not good. Rain, drizzle, gloominess and a bit of a breeze as well. Not good.

I'm sure I'll go long sleeved top and shorts. It's still not cold and although the wind is a factor, not sure it needs to affect choice of outfit....

• Neil - I'm the same when not running, really feel the cold.

No mobile for me. I'm hoping that if it is necessary to call someone I will be near enough to an aid station or marshal to get assistance.

Hoping to collect number on Saturday and will aim to be at the start around 0815hrs as I don't want to be stood around in the cold for too long.

Nice that your boy ran with you Zoe.

• robotrobot ✭✭✭

does anyone know if there is a bag drop facility?

• robot wrote (see)

Hope so, as the wife is accompanying me to the start line image

• Twisted Sole wrote (see)
    robot wrote (see)

Hope so, as the wife is accompanying me to the start line image

If my wife read this, then I'll be attempting 26.2 miles and 6 feet!

• I hope there is a bag drop - it says there is on the website, but it hasn't been mentioned in any of the emails...

Last easy 10 miler for me today - now just taking it easy with a couple of short runs in the week.

And fingers crossed for the weather - currently looks like wind and rain - ugh. So I think I'll be wearing long legs, long sleeved base layer with vest over the top and a fleecy headband - I get too hot in gloves and hats.

• The worse the weather is on race day, the sweeter the victory when you step over the finish line. A bit of rain will rinse the sweat off and a bit off wind will dry the rain off. Lol.

just prepare for the worst mentally and physically, and if it turns out to be an ok weather day it's a bonus.

• I have just e mailed Rob, the Organiser, for confirmation of supervised bag storage. I'm sure there must be, as he advises not to leave valuables in our cars. I will post his response on here when I receive it.

• Did my last long (short) run of 10 miles today in driving rain and wind along Torbay seafront - hard going! Needless to say hoping it will be better next week....

I had on long legs, long sleeved top plus thin rain jacket but no hat and was quite warm - and soaked through - so much for waterproof top - and was fine running but as soon as I got home started to get really cold so will be very keen to get my bag from that bag drop to dry off and change afterwards if it was like today. Shoes also soaked so still debating which sort to wear.   My legs get very cold when in rain for and hour or too so shorts definitely not an option for me. Course it could be dry...

• But leggings hold the water against your skin Torquayrunner - thereby making them feel colder than if you're in shorts.

• This time next week it will all be over and we will be stuffing our faces!

• I don't mind if its raining next Sunday, just hope the wind drops.
  • Skin is water proof! image more you wear there more it sticks and the heavier you get = slower you go! 

99 done paid for yesterday's blast out 3.07 a real painful day but hey oh it was worth it. See you all next week!! 

• Oh to run 3.07 on a bad day Muzza image

• Well done Muzza! Wow....

Awful weather in Portsmouth.....

• Argh - Pulled a calf muscle at the weekend doing my weekly hills. Looks like my chances of doing the Portsmouth coastal Marathon are almost over.

Anyone any idea of how long a mild tear might take? (slight pain to walk and cant run at present at all)

I thought i might try test run on Friday and if i can do a few miles pain free then give it a go, as i have not bailed on a marathon before and dont reallt want to start now!

• Wenty, I pulled my right calf muscle in the first half mile of last years Lordshill 10 mile race. I stopped and stretched, and jogged until half way, and then decided to ignore the pain and run as hard as possible. It was risky as it could have done serious damage, and I wouldn't have continued if it had been a marathon.

• Wenty - don't risk the run on Friday. Ice, rest and massage and turn up on the start line if you can walk pain free.

• Well done muzza.

Weather terrible in berks aswell.Wind and heavy rain.Hope it dies down for the weekend.

Sorry to hear that wenty,just rest it I suppose and see how you are at weekend.

I had a metal bracket swing into my calf at work couple of days ago.Still bruised.

Thought that's all I bloody need.Can still run on it though.

• Thanks for the advice people. Terrance - how the hell did you do that!!! when i have pulled a calf muscle in the past its been painful to walk let alone run - hats off to you though for doing that!

Little Miss - i think you are probably right, but would prefer a little jog before sunday morning just to make sure i can run, rather than turn up on start line limp 100 m and go home!

Any chance of doing the marathon and i will still do it even if its a jog or run wak for part of it. BUT my main marathons are spring next year so dont want to mess those up!

• Flaming heck Wenty you can't turn your back on all the rum and mince pies at this late stage. Run the .2 and walk the 26 if need be. I'll even keep you company at the back of the pack.

As for all this "what shall we wear" chit-chat. I was under the impression Santa costumes were obligatory next Sunday. Failing that I might come as an elf because my time will be a joke if these winds are as fierce as I think they might be.