Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• For sunday - Met office says wind direction from the west-south-west (so it will be against us on the way back. . ) 23mph ish with 35mph ish gusts image

• I've done this one 3 times and not lost a shoe yet, last year was worse on the gravel path up to the turn around, and unfortunately back. I also had a very good time on first mile out and a blustery time on the same mile back. It's not a PB course so enjoy the mince pie earning anyway.

• Well i'm now on antibiotics to try and shift this cold/sinus problem. Had to go and do my best begging at the docs to get them.

I just hope they kick in soon.

I'm not too worried about the bad bits, as i'll be middle of the field, so the best path should of been worked out by then by the speedy ones in front of meimage

• I'm hoping to find a nice sub 3.40 man to shelter behind on the way back image

Hope those anti-b's sort you out IW.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Real, real shame. But I'm not your man LMH ... though I am quite nice.

I'd take 3-59-59 now if offered by Pompey Rob however I am resigned to running my first time for a marathon in over 4 hours. Every marathon I've done (half or full) this year has been in serene, tranquil conditions. This will be one hell of a shock to the system.

• I'm determined to be sub 4 - shd be ok, but like Roger, I'm afraid I'll be seeing you disappear into the distance Little M.iss!  I'm nice too. But in Marathon running and so many other areas of life, that just counts for nothing!

• Just got the start list .. a big field! getting bigger and bigger ... after the relatively small start the event had 4 years ago.

• 1600+ it's going to be manic out there! Mabye 2/300 no shows but even 1400 will be mad on that course especially where it narrows. 

Hope this weather calms down for Sunday, stay fit and well everyone and enjoy a couple easy days image

• wow Muzza. That is a large number of runner over such narrow paths.... Ah well, it does reduce the changes of being out on your own against the wind on the way back.

• It is howling in gosport tonight, what time is everyone getting there?

think my number was 1595, but I have loads of tattoos so easily recognisable If anyone wants to shout hello, 

i know gosport road runners will be having people on the course giving them support, does anyone belong to a running club?

• ZW, it's blowing a gale and belting down with rain in the New Forest at the moment. The forecast for Sunday is better, but underfoot will probably be horrendous. It will be chaotic at the start, with so many runners, and pedestrians and cyclists to negotiate.

I belong to Hardley Runners, but we don't have many entrants. We have the annual forest 10k handicap on the same day, where watches and garmins are forbidden, and runners have to estimate their finish time. The one nearest their estimate gets a prize. There is also a prize for the best fancy dress. Sorry to go off topic, but thought it might be interesting.

I thought about arriving at 7.30 to allow plenty of time for parking, registering, pinning on number and attaching timing chip etc. It's surprising how long these chores can take, especially with so many runners.

• Terence, your club organises exbury gardens10k? I did that this year, pretty horrendous! My son did the fun run and also got soaked but was happy with his Easter egg, already booked in for next year

• Blowing a hooley here last night. Nothing we can do about the weather though so not a lot of point in worrying about it. I must admit I thought the entry limit was much smaller - could indeed get crowded out there - but this may not be a bad thing.

Francis - you are going to be well under 4 hours - believe!

Hoping to arrive in time to collect my number on Saturday afternoon which will mean that thanks to my husbands support I can just roll up ten minutes before the start - though will probably be there a little earlier that that!

I belong to  club Zoe but I don't think anyone else is making the trip from the East Midlands image

• IW hope you feel better soon. Little M.iss - I might be your windbreak, but I'm hoping to be a bit quicker (though the wind may scupper all plans ...40 mph gusts forecast!). I stupidly thought my legs would be feeling fresher this week, but all sorts of little aches and tightnesses have come to the surface. Roll on Sunday! Good luck everyone.

• Crazy wind and rain in Fareham too last night. But then it quite suddenly stopped and it looks calm outside now....

I'll collect my number on saturday too - and purchase some gels while I'm there. With such a large crowd parking could prove tricky. So might just turn up early ish to find a place....

I've learnt that I don't need a warm up for a Marathon anyway. The walk to the start will do!

Stay healthy and good luck everyone!

• ZW, yes we organise the Exbury 10k and also the Solent Half Marathon, of which I was joint race director. I'm sorry the weather was so bad at Exbury, and I was the marshall near the finish standing on the grass verge before the left hand bend shouting out "keep to the left." We are also hosting the CC7 race on January 5th.

It's bright and sunny this morning, and last nights strong winds have dried up the wet roads. Sundays forecast is encouraging with 10% chance of rain. We are carol singing this evening with the club, and this will be my last run before Sunday.

We have been advised to carry mobile phones. Is anyone doing this? I've got a holder which fits round my upper arm for this purpose, but I'm not keen to wear it for 26 miles. I'm sure it will get uncomfortable. Don't forget plenty of change for the parking meters.

• QBQB ✭✭✭

I was shocked too by 1600, hope the run doesn't lose it's friendly, informal aspect it had in its first running - last time I ran it

weather - at least it's looking likely to be (mostly) dry on the day. But no-one really expected good conditions from a late December coastal marathon, did they!

• Craig - I think the niggles are all part and parcel of the taper - I'm off to the sports massage terrorist this afternoon. What time are you hoping for? My training puts me at nearer the 3.30 than 3.40 mark but given the likelihood of congestion, slowing down on the shingle and a strong headwind sub 3.40 would do!

• Little M.iss, this is my first proper marathon (did 26.2 in 3.33 on a hot day in the summer in training). My recent training says I could do 3.20 (and those calculators put me at a ridiculous 3.11 given my 1.30 HM time) but given all the imponderables, first proper race, wind etc., anything round about 3.30 (hopefully sub) would be fine, and maybe we'll end up in the same group. Worried about a congested start and going off too fast. Good luck! 

• Everyone seems very worried about congestion.

Am I though only one who is panicking that there won't be enough mince pies to go round!!!

• You can have mine Roger as I can't eat them!

Could be Craig - I'll be easy to spot in my pirate buff and am not bad running company I don't think as after about 13 miles or if we're running into a headwind I probably won't be able to talk much as I have to focus on breathing evenly to prevent an asthma attack image Congested start will make the possibility of going off too fast less though saying that all of my fastest mile splits have been recorded in the first mile of races.

• With nearly two miles of esplanade before we hit the pavements, tracks or beach I'm sure we'll string out nicely.

It's the older generation with their extending dog leads that I'll be more concerned about! They can be a liability at my local parkrun.

• I'm with you there TS - those extending leads are deadly in the wrong hands.

• I keep checking the weather forecast every five minutes to see if they've decided that it is going to be less windy on Sunday - it's years since I've done a run in a 'healthy' sea 'breeze'...!

• I think you'll find that if you 'accidently' run into those extenders, the said OAP gets a terrible shock along with a strangled yorkshire terrier, and it makes them slightly more aware of other people that might be enjoying the sceneryimage

• Brilliant. Three days to go and I get a bout of man flue. Can't stop shivering. What do you think my chances are?

Others in my office have had it and said it cleared in 48 hours. Difference is they weren't running a marathon.
  • I would be happy with around 3.40 ish as well, so there may be an unofficial 3.30-3.40 group forming hereimage

And a slower start is no bad thing, much better being slightly too slow than slightly too fast over the first few miles....

• It's been dry and sunny all day, and now is pouring with rain.

I agree with you all that a slow start is preferable to going off too fast. It's best to be patient, as weaving in and out of runners ahead uses up unnecessary energy. 

• And be careful of the lampposts.Anyone see the runner who bust open his nose 1 miles into the race last year ?

He carried on running though,another guy stopped someone sat in their car and got him some tissues for the blood.image

• That sounds like proper blood sweat and tears Knakerd Neil!

Awful rain again down here.