Options

Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• Options

Yeah,respect to the guy for carrying on running.He had a nose full of claret for 26 miles !

Just knew that nice mild weather wouldn't last.

Last 4 mile run today,nice and easy.Now feet up till sunday........oh no Christmas shopping !!!image

• Options

It would be good to get  a group together to work with, sounds as though we may naturally settle in to it anyway but a little bit of prep can't hurt.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Hi Guys - Anyone else doing fancy dress?  I was soooo please Llittle M.iss is as a pirate so not on my own. image I always dress as Super Girl for all my events in memory of my mum. I'm from Benfleet running club, which I love but I'm by far not an advanced runner! I love it for fitness, support & the group runs.  My little legs said to me the other day....Listen, just be grateful to finish, don't have the cheek to sit and work out your possible times especially with that wind belting in your face!! ha ha ha I'll be the one chugging away and I'm so looking forward to it. There is going to be a great atmosphere!

• Options
    I'm another who was hoping to be just sub 3:30 but with the wind, rain and a difficult surface in places I'm thinking that perhaps sub 3:45 would be a good result .

I haven't really sussed out my strategy yet, I may try the first few at 7:45 - 7:50 just to try to get a bit ahead if it is going to be a bit tricky and single file in places, then drop down to 8's for the bulk of it and see if there is anything left in the tank to kick on at the end... Although it seems as if that is when the headwind will be at its worst.

The pacing seems the easy bit though as it can easily be adjusted mid run. I'm really struggling over what to wear, longs or shorts, long or short sleeve top, rain jacket / no rain jacket. I'm really hoping rain can be taken out the equation!

The only good thing is that this was all about having a focus for the end of the year and a guilt free Christmas rather than targeting a specific time. It has to be said though I've enjoyed training for this one more than usual, though that could be because as I've ensured all my runs include a mince pie at the end!!
  • Options

Lisa - a pirate buff is the nearest I'll get to fancy dress I'm afraid!

Phil - don't aim to start fast, settle in after the first mile and try to knock out 8.00 min/miles, if there's anything left at 20 miles - go for it!

• Options

Hi Sunnysider Phil,

If I was in 3.30 shape I'd do that too. You have the wind behind you in the first couple of miles and it should still feel easy even on the trials going out of Portsmouth. If you want to nail 3.30 you do need some time in the bank (without overstretching yourself of course!). You're bound to lose time on the way back.

I have 8.45 miles in mind, but am happy to be a bit quicker going out, and slip to 9s on the way back.

• Options

4 hours will do me fine. My game plan is to get to 20 miles and see how I feel. I've been struggling with a hamstring problem and got some extra physio done this week. hopefully it will last the distance!

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

I'm with DF there. I reckon that it'll be a case of running out the first half properly at your best pace and then seeing what can be done on the way back with wind and any other issues - such as refuelling with all the Christmas treats on offer!

I've not given the clothing much thought either, but did when getting a couple of presents on way home last night pick up a 'nice' bobble hat as my minor nod towards this being a festive season run and the strong winds and chill factor due. From experience of similar at Deal at start of month, shorts were fine but hat and gloves were good to have when running into the wind.

• Options

Cold is still with me, as its mainly from the neck up i'm going to do the run. Still got a couple of days for the antibiotics to kick in.

I'm now in the hoping to just finish camp, whatever the time is i'll be happy with.

• Options

You can't bank time in a marathon! There's some agreed formula (can't remember exactly what) that says something only the lines of for every minute you make in the first half you'll lose five in the second - and that will be even more likely if the second half is tougher. Aim for an even split. It is much, much easier psychologically if you're catching people in the last few miles than if you're continually being overtaken.

If it's neck up IW not likely to be much for the antibiotics to influence but good to hear that you're ok to run.

• Options

I always run in shorts and usually vest but may go for something a bit warmer on top half. I'll decide on the morning I expect. Probably just say f**k it and go for the vest !

I always try for an even pace but then slightly slow over the last 8 miles. Running into a headwind will exaggerate this no doubt. Looking forward to the race now and a beer & chips afterwards.

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

I know what you mean but this is potentially an easier first half, harder second; so if you're looking at getting 3.30 and that's a good time for you, I'd give you little chance of achieving that if you turnaround bang 1.45

But I won't debate anyone's plans as am only there to try and enjoy myself on Sunday and have no particular targets in my mind beyond mulled wine and mince pies

• Options

I agree that you can't 'bank time' been there, tried it and failed miserably.  My 'normal' pace seems to be about 7:40 and I can sustain this for 20 / 22 miles in training runs but can't seem to drive it on to 26.2.  I can happily go faster (doing half's in 7:10 pace) but struggle going slower hence I nearly always go as far as I can @ 7:40 then crash.

This is why I thought I'd try to set out c7:45 / 7:50 for just the first 2 - 2.5 miles to get a bit further ahead before the trail path / single file sections start then drop down to 8's.  That will hopefully leave me with some excess fuel for a push on the prom at the end even against the wind. 

I'm not overly worried about times; sub 3:30 would be fab, but given the course 3:45 will be good I think.  I just want to try to go as even as I can for as long as I can and hopefully, wind permitting have a couple of negative splits near the end.  This, I think, would be great prep for my spring marathons.

• Options

Hello All. I am also slightly image at the 1600 starters, this isn't going to be a fast one. On the other hand we might actually outnumber the pedestrians in the last two miles to the extent that they do get out of our way.

I've got a slightly dodgy heel and I haven't run for ages so will be trying to treat it as an end of year, pre-beer Christmas workout.

It's my fourth year at this and I believe possum hopper may have missed one toilet opportunity image - top end of the Hayling road bridge, outside the Ship(?) pub is a public toilet.

• Options

Had 2 bad nights sleep, maybe because I have started new ward as well, weather is awful this morning, just hope it's a bit better tmw! 

• Options

It won't matter Zoe - just smile, chat to anyone who's willing and enjoy the fact that you're able to be out there and doing what you love - that's my plan anyway image

• Options

morning people. The wind is blowing outside.....

I'll take a leaf out of your book too Little M.iss. 

I'll got out there and enjoy it!

• Options

Tis a tad blowy down here today, and i've discovered that the boats are not the best times to get over for me, the first one from the Isle of Wight is 7.47, which might be cutting it close.

So it looks like the 6am car ferry for me, slightly annoying as its the closest race to my house i've done on the mainland this year.

• Options

The joys of island life IW!

• Options

Got my number! 1114.

sorry to sound like a broken record but weather here is atrocious.

• Options

Hi all. I've been following the thread for  a few weeks and would like to de-lurk to say thanks to all the people who have been passing on information about the course.

I've been training with the hope of finishing in around 3:50 but with the predicted conditions, I think that I'll just head off with the hope of finishing at all. It looks pretty nasty out there.

I'm just about to head to Pompey to pick up my pack so that I'm not panicking about being organised tomorrow morning.

Is the consensus still that road shoes are the way to go? I've got the choice of Brooks Ghosts if that's the case, or a new-ish pair of Cascadia's if it looks like off-road shoes will be needed.

• Options

Hi everyone. With all this rain is it almost worth wearing trail shoes?

• Options

well, there will be muddy bits but unless you're happy to cover plenty of miles on asphalt on trail shoes....

I'm still going for road shoes.

They won't look pretty at the end, but then, neither will I!

• Options

Like everyone else the weather stinks. Meant to be abit better tomorrow, here's hoping. I ran last year and said never again, really tough coming back along the front. My plan to just finish before I get swepped away.. image

• Options

I don't own trail shoes so ordinary trainers for me, Christ it's windy at the moment!

• Options

I wouldn't wear trail shoes on this course.

Have collected my number - 1527 - and am currently listening to the wind howling outside and the rain lashing against the window! Met Office are now forecasting hail for 0900hrs tomorrow.........image

• Options

Thanks. Trainers it is then. Never done a marathon with totally soaked feet before. 

• Options

I went down to Southsea to get my bearings for tomorrow after I picked my number (722) up. I could barely stand on the esplanade, so I *really* hope it's calmed down by tomorrow morning. Hail you say? That will be nice!

I'll take the consensus advice and stick with the regular shoes then. At least it will keep the cascadia's looking respectable for a bit longer. image

• Options

I looked at the Met Office forecast too....

So, it'll be shirt, rain jacket and shorts...

Best of luck everybody!

• Options

Good luck to everyone running. Like everyone has said, the wind is blowing, I too have a recce of the start/finish and could hardly stand still against the wind...almost got blown over and contemplated returning my number...here comes the food and booze instead of racing...image