Options

Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• Options

First well done LMH for a great report and by the sounds of it a well run race.

For me,I was hoping for sub 3.30 with the extra training I had put in this year.

First 21 miles went well and I was keeping my miles as close to 8 min as possible,but then it got really hard and I slowed down.Then every mile from then on I had to walk for a min or so.

As with most other people the last straight on the promenade was very hard and I walked at least once.

Came in 3.42,so I beat last years time of 3.55,so cant be too disappointed.

Either I was set my target too high,with not enough training or didn't eat enough carbs in preparation for race.After the race I was totally totally drained and the walk back to the lake where the car was parked was hard.Threw up when I got back to the carimage and after a lie down and a bread roll and water managed the drive home feeling much better.

All good now,got my appetite back and full belly.image

Well done to all runners,see you next year.

• Options

Kallum - you must have been unlucky with timing there. I went across the shore section at around 12:25 and there was only a couple of feet of gabp  between the water and the rocks  at one point. As we were leaving for home, Later runners were being diverted away from the water down Eastney Road.

• Options

I managed to get through before it got too bad and glad I did.  I spotted this tweet which made me laugh! https://twitter.com/Running_Reviews/statuses/414788673373483008

• Options

I found that harder than I was expecting and I've done some of the  toughest UK marathons. Perhaps I didn't train for it properly.

My only gripe was that I went the wrong way on the last beach section at approx. 24 miles and lost a few places.

Apart from that I thought it was a great event and if I do it again I shall treat it with a bit more respect ! Happy Christmas all.

• Options
    Moonshining wrote (see)

Kallum - you must have been unlucky with timing there. I went across the shore section at around 12:25 and there was only a couple of feet of gabp  between the water and the rocks  at one point. As we were leaving for home, Later runners were being diverted away from the water down Eastney Road.

Yeah I ended up going through there not to much later than that. It was rather enjoyable really and I decided to run through the vast majority of the water and got a few looks from the people wading along.

Lost all feeling in my feet after cured any soreness that was creeping in so had a good half a mile spurt afterwards. Every cloud and silver linings i guess.

• Options
    Well I did it. 4.24. Just happy to finish my first marathon. Even wading through the sea, as someone said it helped with the aches. But I couldn't feel my toes.
  • Options

That's a great picture. I'm looking forward to seeing the official photographs, hope they're online quite soon. My husband said 'they must have got wet feet' but as I told him there was no way you could have kept them dry round that course anyway!

Glad you're feeling better Neil - did you take any gels/fuel on during the race?

It's always good to just get the first one under your belt IW runner - now you have a time to beat in the next one image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Well done everyone - Top result Miss Happy ! Well done Zoe sounded a tough one by all accounts!

I had to bail out. Tried a test run on Saturday and Calf twinged quite badly in first mile so knew there was no way to get round 26 miles! Anyone got any marathons in next few months!

• Options

I went round the roads which were signed because of the tide, I see some people have moaned on the review section because of the water, surely they could also have gone the road route? 

My garmin said 26:64 miles

• Options

When I ran through the sea there was no route posted, I think the tide may have taken them by surprise.

• Options

This was the 4th year I've done it. I love it ??????. This is the only year I have had to run through the water on the last stretch of beach but I quite enjoyed it. The last bit along the promenade was hell- it took everything I had left. 

Well done everyone. ????????

I managed just to squeeze in under 4 hours- 3.59.55 on the chip. Not my PB for that course but considering I fell over, the wind, the mud, the puddles, the tide and the congestion I am really pleased with this ????

Anyone paid up for 2014 yet? I'm about to 

• Options

Not my finest hour either. Feeling a bit down in the dumps at present but I'm sure the feeling will pass. 4-18 . My third marathon and first one over 4hrs - but only took up running when I was 52. I ran 1 43 pb in a half marathon up a mountain in North Wales only a few weeks back so thought I was in good shape.

Definitely ran too hard early on in conditions totally alien to me ( i never go off tarmac) because I was bloody obsessed with this stupid 4hr thing. Turned in 1 54 (which considering bottlenecks etc was probably nearer 1 52) - and paid the penalty.

With 4 miles to go was still on for sub 4 but then ground to a halt at 23 and had to walk plus climbing over rocks like I was half way up Everest. Never walked before and feel cross with myself, even torturing myself now, but I was a spent force.

Congratulations to everyone who took part and to all those who achieved their goals. Merry Xmas.

• Options

well done Little M.iss Happy!
    whilst nowhere near your time, i managed a marathon pb too at 5:10:39, so sub 5 is within reach i hope!
    think i went out slightly too fast in the first half (got caught up in the crowd!), and faded a bit in the second. 
    I'm afraid i didnt love the course though. It seemed to combine all the worst bits of road running with the worst bits of off road running! it seems my body hates a flat course, hip flexors suffering a bit! need to work on serious training before attempting a flat one again.
    much prefered the Purbeck Marathon, but each to his own i guess! image

• Options

Wow - that was a tough one for my first - I'm definitely picking a nice dry, non muddy, non windy tarmac one for my second! At least I have set myself a nice low time to beat for a PB!

Well done everyone!

• Options
    Hi all,

I would just like to thank all of you for you views and comments on yesterday's race. I am new to runners world online forums- and was a bit apprehensive to engage! but I have been following your thread from the outset- the advice that you guys had provided regarding the terrain, what shoes to wear etc. I found truly invaluable and helped in reassuring me. So thank you!

I'm relatively new to this running malarky, starting early last year; and now have definitely caught the bug! This was my 6th full marathon of the year. And it's pretty awesome to be among people that "get it"

I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's race, and yes it was tough! I managed a time of 3:42 and I have registered for next years too! Happy running!!
  • Options

Great to read everyone's reflections and thanks for the photos!

Little M.iss, Yes I saw you coming through about 18 miles. You looked really strong and were in a group of a few runners - which made me think that it would be good next time to run in a group.

It was my first marathon and I'm really pleased with 3.30. I hadn't slept well the couple of nights beforehand and that didn't seem to affect me physically in the slightest, but meant I wasn't as sharp mentally in terms of checking times against the mile markers and so on. I think I ran a ridiculous 6.50 mile way around the 5 mile mark, simply because the previous mile had been 8.05 and I overcompensated trying to get back under 8. I also looked at my watch at 26 miles and thought 'I can do the remaining 200 yards in under ninety seconds - but of course it is an extra 385 yards not 200! Duh! All good experience for next time round.

Anyone doing the Heartbreak marathon in Fordingbridge on 23rd Feb?

I'll definitely do the Portsmouth marathon again next year. Beautiful scenery, interesting challenges, and especially lovely section for the three miles either side of half way. 

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

• Options

Well done everyone! Tough but good day! Pulled up at 5m with a calf injury but after some self treatment I was able to hobble through it and finished no 100 in 3.26. Job done! Few weeks rest and onwards and upwards in Dubai I hope! image 

• Options

I was considering the heartbreak half my plans are, 

stubbington 10k

romsey 5 miler

portsmouth coastal half

exbury gardens 10km

gosport 3 miler

D-Day 10k

victory 5

RNLI 10k

great south run

ghost race part 3

gosport half mmarathon 

santa race

phew!

• Options

Little M.iss - well done - great run! I think I must have been running with you at some point - you were perhaps in a small group that seemed to steaming along at 22-23 miles. Well done!!

• Options
    South Devon Coastal Marathon

Paris Marathon

Halstead & Essex Marathon

South Downs Marathon

Amsterdam Marathon

& Portsmouth Coastal Marathon

Any tips regarding course would be very much appreciated-

happy holidays all
  • Options

I would just like to say thanks very much to the guy who barged past me early on. I slipped and twisted my knee which is now swollen to far larger than it should be. I ended up having to pull out at about 18 miles as it totally seized up. So yeah, cheers mate for ruining my mara, knocking me out of my next couple of events and generally ruining the time and effort I put in to train for this event.

• Options

I think i may have been one of the first to hit the diversion put in place when the tide came in. Have to say, the little triangle pieces on the lamp posts were too far away from each other and i felt the route was clearly marked and feel i lost the route.. A few people followed my path back to the promenade which resulted in an additional third of a mile. 

Not a great amount but i do feel a bit responsible for the few that followed me and may have run further than they needed to. The diversion could have done with a few marshalls but i got a PB anyway.

I really enjoyed the out'n'back route. and will be entering again 

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

I was another of the waders - have to say that it really made it for me running through the sea at 23m+ in a marathon - that's coastal for you!

Agree with others who enjoyed the course - plenty of interest with changing scenery and the way back had the benefit of you knowing what was coming up course wise but a different view.

Only negative was that the numbers were too much, even at 1100+ rather than 1600+ due, for that start and course. It was much more pleasant in its first year with few runners relatively and so much more suited to the facilities and narrow course.

I too missed the start - queued to come out of Pyramids, only to see start already emptied and so spent the first two miles ducking in and out of runners to try and keep to my desired pace.

Poor run for me time wise, which was disappointing, but wasn't one I was ever going to target for a time and so didn't dampen my enjoyment of the day. Pleased to see that so many others really enjoyed it overall.

• Options
    yeah i had a few gels LMH maybe not enough or enough water.

glad they had a marshall on the metal gate this year ,as i got chopped down last time.fell once during the race but i was straight back up with no injury.

saw a few people go down but as we know is was well slippery in places.
  • Options

roger dodger - sounds as though you paid for that early pace - I refer you to our earlier discussion about banking time image

neil - I took three gels and the last one was a bit of a 'I may as well as it's in my hand and I can't get it back into my pocket' rather than because I felt I needed it. On LSRs I don't eat at all up to 20 miles and only take water if it's particularly warm so it's something you can train for, same with the meal the night before and breakfast that works for you - sounds like an excuse for another marathon or two image

Robert - have you really registered on RW just to sound off? Do you think it was someone from this thread who caused you to fall? If so come out and say what you mean and if not I very much doubt that it was deliberate. I know exactly who caused my fall - followed him all the way home and over the finish line but I don't think for one minute he did it on purpose so what's the point in holding on to it? Chill, recover quickly and have a good Christmas.

Nij - most of the people on RW are friendly and positive in my experience and if you come across some who aren't well, there are always other threads and the ignore button. Glad we could be of help.

Great that you were able to finish your hundredth Muzza.

Was planning a little run today but think the fall has done a bit more damage than I first realised so it may have to wait a day or two, will hopefully get for a swim tomorrow which should help to ease everything. If anyone spots the official photo's anywhere will you let me know please?

• Options

I'm stiff in the thighs today! Reflecting back, I wonder if I should have taken it slower on the way out.....

Be hey-ho....

Sub 4 next time.

• Options
    next goal for me is beat my half marathon time of 1.33.

signed up for reading again and will run with the 1.30 pacesetter and try and crack 1.30.

wokingham half before that as warm up.image

good luck on future runs people.adios.
  • Options

Photos are out on ian Burnett website, had to scroll through to see mine as I know my race number was covered

• Options

Thanks Zoe - some good ones of me - both feet off the floor sprinting for the finish!

http://7251.tifmember.com/v/photos/74333skh