2 months to go - what next

Hi Everyone,

First post in the forum, although I've been reading the website and the forums for the past few months image

3 months ago I decided to start training for my first marathon and here I am now, after a 20K and 25K in my last two weeks wondering what to do next. So far my body is coping with the training quite well and I just don't want to make a mistake now that I am so close to the race (Amsterdam Marathon, October 20th)

I run a couple of days on weekdays (8K each), plus 1 day of bicycle in the gym and some bodyweight training. My long run is on the weekend. This what I plan to do, long run wise, in the next few weeks:

30K, 20K, 25K, 30K, 15K, 10K, 8K, marathon

On paper, will this be too much before my first marathon? My pace during the 25K was 4:52/Km

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    A couple of questions,

1. What does you training plan say?

2. What time are you aiming for in the race.

3. Have you done any races in the build up?
  • Hi Millsy,

Thanks for the reply!

My original training plan had one week less of tapering. But rather than sticking religiously to the plan, I decided to start those long runs a week earlier as I wanted to make sure I could run at least two 30K before the marathon.

When I started training 3 months ago, all I wanted to do was to finish the marathon and maybe achieving 4h. It is my first marathon, so I didn't know how my legs were going to react. I've always played football and other sports, but never did running. Looking at my long run times it looks like I can keep a 5 min/km on a 25K, so perhaps my finishing time will be around 3h 45min.

My only race before the big day will be a half marathon next weekend.