Half marathon - train over 13 miles ?

2»

Comments

• Well done Harp. I'm not sure running the parkrun today was the best approach, but then who am I to critcise. You maverick!

Based on 19:20, Mcmillan predicts a 1:29:31 half marathon assuming you train appropriately.  So it looks like you have the legs and lungs for it. Get your head around the training approach needed (i.e don't flog yourself on 80% of your runs) and you could be on for a great first Half Marathon

• Have taken on board your advice folks and am feeling as though my training is getting a bit more structured rather than running as hard as I can all of the time.

Mon .... rest day

Tues .. AM - 2m WU then 10 x 45 fast / 45 recovs, 2m WD , PM - 5m at 6:45 .

Wed ... 4 mile recovery run at 8 - 8:30 pace

Thurs ... 15m at 7:45 pace

Fir ..... Planning 4 easy.

Sat ... Planning on Park run with a few half mile efforts / strides after

Sun ... Panning easy 7 ish miles.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Looks better, though I dont much fancy your Tuesday, thats two different types of quality in one day. Do you need the am session as a hard session when you also have a parkrun and longer intervals planned for saturday??

• Harp my parkrun the week before my recent 1:30 half was 19:19 , I did one or two 15 milers in the weeks before  at around 8 to 8:30 pace depending how tired I was mostly 12 milers though but also did anywhere between 8 and 10 easy the day  before as well so I was always going out a bit tired for the long run to build up my endurance a bit.image I did trackwork consisting of 400m/800m/1 mile intervals once a week at 6:15 pace as well and threw in the odd parkrun when my shifts allowed and the rest was mostly easy running 8 to 8:30 pace.

• Hi DT , I am going to restrict my hard session to two a week , so after the AM session on Tues I got home after work and thought I'd may as well wring my legs out as the next hard session would be Sat and it would be the same recovery period ?? Maybe I should try and wring them out in one session though ?

Hi Leslie , my legs are always tired image, your PR time is very similar to mine and I know I am on the cusp of just under or just over the 1:30 so I'm trying to get the best possible training in for the 6th Oct. I'll try your session.

There havs been a lot of good advice given to me in this thread , I'm trying to get it through my bonce that harder is not always better, I really enjoyed the 15 this morning done at an easier pace.

I think I'll give the half and one mile efforts a go next week as my quality sessions.

Thanks again for your encouragement and advice.

Kenny.

• Too many hard sessions will leave you exhausted and ive certainly done that before , remember the week of the race that all runs should be easy and short to get back to 100% , I did a 4 mile hmp tempo on the tuesday with the race on the sunday as id been on holiday the week before and a parkrun 2 days earlier at 100% effort  and I think it was too much as it took 3 days to get over and I think its cost me a bit of time.image  We all make mistakes ...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yeah to the above. On the week before a half, I would do circa 3-4 miles at hmp pace to tune in no later than the tuesday, however I would do them on  a track or treadmill and as single reps with perhaps 8-10 mins between reps with stretching and very slow running in the inervals. I would do 8-10miles on the wed very slow and perhaps a further recovery paced 5 miles Thursday am. I try to get 65-72 clear hours rest then with plenty of stretching.

Some people like to run light the day before. For me, I would rather have completely rested legs.

• Managed to just dip under the 19 mins for the park run on sat so I'm a happy bunny image.

Legs were far too tired to do any strides after it so jogged a very slow further 7.

Im feeling happier that the speed is there but what I'm not sure about is how do I know if I'm going to manage to maintain speed over a hm if I should be doing my long runs slowly ?

Should I try and I get maybe an 8 or so in over the coming weeks at HMP or will the half and mile efforts with Long slow runs do the trick ?

• I did 3x 2 miles at HMP with 90 secs recovery last week (3 miles warm-up, strides, 3x 2 miles, cool down). That felt quite good for practising the pace without wiping myself out.

• Sounds like the change in schedule is reaping rewards already Harp image  but you cant really add any more hard sessions in or you might not  make the start .You could do the hmp tempo one week and parkrun the next as they are both tough runs , thats combined with the long run and interval will be plenty .

I usually do 3 warmup , parkrun then 3 easy after to get 9 mile in that day .

• Harp, there is only one way to know if you have the speed endurance - and that should be on race day. As one author puts it, race or train too hard too close to your goal race "is akin to pulling up roots to see how your carrots are growing".

• Also-ran wrote (see)

, race or train too hard too close to your goal race "is akin to pulling up roots to see how your carrots are growing".

I'd not heard that one before, great quote!

• Happy chappy here image  1:26 and some seconds for my half marathon today - OK for an old codger !!

• Thats brilliant and well ahead of target, well done Harp image

• Well done image

As mentioned before...
    "Either you're running your 'easy' training runs too hard for the level you're at, or your HM goal is too easy for the level you're at and you're already capable of significantly faster than a 90min HM"

...might have been a bit of both, but definitely a lot of the latter!

• Wow - well done. I'm 40 this year and finished my 2nd HM in 1:36ish yesterday. There's my encouragement to go under 1:30 next time!

• Thanks for the kind words , it is appreciated as was all of the training advice to get me there.

I'm wondering if any experienced runner would like to comment on my splits for the HM. Should I have put more into the middle of the run ? I tried to slow the pace on miles 5 - 8 as I was wary of burning out. But then picked it up for miles 11 to the finish.

Does this look ok to you ? .........

1 6:42.5 1.00 6:43 2 6:30.6 1.00 6:31 3 6:29.1 1.00 6:29 4 6:35.8 1.00 6:36 5 6:58.9 1.00 6:59 6 6:43.7 1.00 6:44 7 6:34.5 1.00 6:34 8 6:50.7 1.00 6:51 9 6:35.7 1.00 6:36 10 6:52.2 1.00 6:52 11 6:35.9 1.00 6:36 12 6:26.8 1.00 6:27 13 6:22.5 1.00 6:22 14 :16.1 0.06 4:45
  • splits in a better form are

6:42

6:30

6:29

6:35

6:58

6:43

6:34

6:50

6:52

6:26

6:22

• Nice carrots Harp - a job well done.image

• Looks like you had plenty left at the end where most would slow down if they were on the limits of their ability so id say you could  be sub 1:25 next time out without much trouble image