Saturday 31st August

Morning!

Lyrics: Someone left the cake out in the rain

Given the topic yesterday, and given that there should be a parkrun at this venue these had to be used, even though I have used them before. Not the first lines either, just the ones that I thought people would know.

What: 30 mins steady
Why: the new 20 mins.

No SWOTD from me, I'm afraid.

Have a good weekend all.

I don't think that I can take it 'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• SWOTD

Brae (verb)

Also used in Yorkshire.

Lyric, nope.
    Training? Bike, but then it goes to the menders. Again.

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Survivor by Muse.

Blisters - what's wrong with it this time? Do you race Saturday or Sunday?

What:              bike for me too - but just a couple of hours
    Why:               tired/taper
    Last hard:       sleeping
    Last rest:        4/8

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

I like todays wordimage

Opps for got to post yesterday.

• The meaning of Thursdays word Fankle is below   A panic attack, a state of confusion. A tizzy, in a right state   Used mainly in the west of Scotland.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Fankle is also a good name for a cat! image

4.7 miles for me this morning, just toddling along nicely.  

I think I do know the lyrics today, which is a surprise... I needed the extra lines for sure! image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Good parkrun today, so pretty happy with 4th and a 19:14 not sure really where that came from as been struggling with speed of late.

3m warm up and the a further 3.5m home afterwards via a different route. Total of 9.58m

Take care

• Afternoon

What 7 with hills
    Why fitted in nicely
    Lyrics Yes (But an awful song)
    SWoD I'm a Lancastrian so no hope.

Ran the hilly loop around home this morning as I had run out of wet wipes at work so needed to grab a shower before starting work and also needed the bike to get back from work quickly.

• I ended up with three hours on the bike in the end - must get a grip on this tapering stuff image

• 3 hours bike for me with Group 2. Legs shredded. 55 miles banked, now that's what I call a taper. I elected not to top it off with the 4 mile "fell" race for the running club.
    The bike survived the ride without the crank falling off. A new one is being fitted on Tuesday. I put a new tyre on it yesterday, as the front was 18 months and 3000 miles old.

4lb Blackberries picked.
    2lb of Romanesque cauliflower pickled.

Meanwhile, I'm preparing a packing list for next week. It's growing biger and bigger.

• Well I always seem to have a story to tell..............  and here's todays:

The first question I asked my Wife when I rang her after the race was "am I awkward" She said no!

Arrived nice and early to set up me bike and got a good spot in transition. For those of you not familiar with transition racking in triathlons are they are normally made up of rows of single scaffolds pole set up on triangular stands making them nice and steady. Today was different - they had two poles (one each side) set up on square trestles. Great for capacity but not too steady. Paddy sees a friend of his across the way and decides to go for a chat....  Swings under the pole and bang the whole lot down on top of me!! I never saw such a scattering!!. This was real Fawlty Towers/ Mr Bean/ Laurel & Hardy stuff!!!. When I looked, everyone had racked one side as it was near the entrance and this unbalanced everything. I fell on me arse and its quite sore!!!!, not to mention the embarrassment!!

I'd say I took out about 50-60 bikes worth an average of €3,000.00 each at least, maybe more. The fella beside who was a race favourite wasn't impressed as his paintwork got damaged - Jesus he was precious.

I'm too tired to go into much detail but the swim went well, my chain came off going up a hill and the run was great following a bad marshal direction in T2. I have no times but I know I did win my age group - very happy!

Anyway, I made my escape good before solicitors started chasing!!!

LMH - isn't three hours IM Taper??

RFJ - nice park running

Ale - are you officially off the crocked list yet?

• SWoD: plenty of them today

What: Rousay Lap HM
    Why: supporting local HM (and good training for Snowdon)
    Last Hard: today
    Last rest:yesterday
    Lyrics: no

Not a good time today (2h12 close to PWimage) but enjoyed it despite all

• Paddy, well done on the age group win, and even better on the speedy exit away from Mr Precious Bike. I thought it was all about the engine.

Now would be a good time:

SWOTD
    To Brae: To thump or hit. (more Yorkshire dialect)

as opposed to the the noun
    A Brae: The brow of a hill. (definitely Scottish)

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Enjoyed the report, Paddy, and not just for the win! And no, I am not off the crocked list yet: managing niggles all the time. It may always be thus.

What: just 15 mins slooow
    Why: haven't felt great all day with an upset stomach. There's always tomorrow.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Blisters - Only belatedly noticed "(to) brae"
    Never heard Brae in this context in Scotland
    (but don't live in inner city image)

Just a though: Why not open up the "Scottish word of the Day" to "Dialectical Word of the Day" to be more inclusive?
    ... and I would never be sure whether (distinct) Orcadian words would count as a SWoD to those "doon sooth"( this does not refer to those south of Hadrian's Wall!)

• That made me laugh Paddy - hope the PITA isn't too bad tomorrow! Congratulations on the win. Three hours is less than I should have done today but it comes at the end of something in the region of 18 hours training this week and I'm feeling it. I carry quite a lot of fatigue anyway and usually have quite a severe three week taper - but I only have two weeks left now.

How's the rib OH?

Hope the stomach settles Alehouse.

Blisters - taper!

• Can't blame the rib - it was fine!

... and forgot to say thoroughly enjoyed the story Paddy

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice one Paddy image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

late pop in for me..
    Paddy - nice work, ever tried domino toppling?
    RFJ/OH - well done with respective races

what - 4 steady
    why - all I had time for...youngests 12th birthday, so 'Go Ape' this morning followed by lunch, and out for family dinner followed by film night.
    last rest - yesterday
    last hard - showing no fear of heights in the trees
    lyric - nope