RIP Sam Brighouse - any lessons to be learned?

Apparently his potassium levels were three times normal - would this have been from overuse of gels?  Or the combination with ibuprofen?  Any comments from sports nutritionists or if anyone has any insights?  A lot of people will be considering their spring marathon training and fuel strategies soon...

Comments

• The report also said it was a unique event and had never been recorded before. 

• Necrosis causes raised potassium levels, I assume that's what happened in this case. I don't think there's anything like enough potassium in gels to cause problems directly.

My understanding is that running restricts the flow of blood to the digestive system (hence runners trots), in this case it happened to such an extent that most of his bowel tissue died. I'm not sure what effect gels or ibuprofen would have on blood flow to the bowel.

• I think the magazine should do an article on it. The reports I've seen have been very vague and sounds like the poor guy didnt do anything wrong - so I doubt theres much we can learn.
  • Agree Cougie.

The article I read in The Guardian didn't mention supplements or ibruprofen at all but did say that around half of marathon runners experience some sort of gastrointestinal discomfort.

It sounds to me as if the poor bloke just didn't realise that his problem was a serious one until it was too late.

Could happen to anybody I imagine but, at the same, time pretty rare, so it might be useful to know if there are "red flag" symptoms that warrant further investigation.  

• I read a brief summary of the coroners report and it basically says this was a 'perfect storm' of events.

A totally unique situation that has never been previously seen and is unlikely to ever be seen again.

They mentioned that endurance sports are a new science in relative terms and that we don't really have much evidence on how the body reacts. We know that Ibuprofen effects kidney function and may cause some issues. They also recommended that makers of nutritional supplements do more research into the effects of their products.

In effect there is little to no chance of it happening again, although keep your eyes posted for further updates.

Rip Sam

• Today the view is that suppliments are part of running. I am from the old school of athletes  that subscribe  to the theory  that a well balances health diet including lentils and fruit and even nuts  provide all the nutrient you need to provide the body strengh.  I ran many marathon and my training  was short 6 miles run in the morning and 13-20 miles at evening when not track  trainining. over 6 days aweek.

So all these supplement  to me are an excuse for bad diets.

• I got the impression it was from salt tablet type nutrional suplement...............this was a one off event and shouldn't be made into a major thing.......

if some people didn't take salt tablets in heat then there would be more case of death no doubt....

If one person has a fatal reaction to a heart disease..........you do not stop giving it to all those people who get a benefit

like all things though it should be in moderation

• I'veactually never taken salt tablets whatever the temperature.

• you probably don't sweat excessively BI.some people do....others don't.....image

• Salt tablets in UK last time we had heat that required intake of salt would be 1976, then at that time was running 20 per day and never tooknsalt tablets and don't  know anyone that d

• that was at a time when only proper runners ran............and it has been hotter mnay more times since 1976