Options

London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Thanks Booktrunk - it's so good to see your times and effort but you did consistently increase your distance...I must try and do that, if only 0.1 of a mile! Yesterday was a test for sure to get motivated to go out in the rain and I did so that felt like a minor triumph!!  My programme is from my asics too - fantastic resource!!

Thanks for the ass kick - you are right...there is only do or do not. I want to run, so I WILL run!!

• Options

Cascita: I don't know about you but my work colleagues weren't betting on how long into the race i'd pull out, there were betting how many weeks into the training before i quit.  That really kept me going.

Personally i didn't do any planned runs with others before my marathon, now looking back i think it's a good idea to try to do some events beforehand.  It also gives you goals for instance if you sign up for a 10k say mid November then you have to get upto doing that at least by then, and again, a half marathon in January or maybe early February image it's worth thinking about.

• Options

book trunk - you upped the mileage at the start well - I took ages to get past 3 miles! and then i entered a 10k so had to push myself to do 6 miels and then entered a 10 mile run so had to push for that! but I found after 5/6 miles it got easier for me.

I lost 3 stone in about 3/4 months and i guess that helped to make running easier as well.

Your story is so amazing that i still have not picked myself up off the floor!!!!

Cas - your body will be making lots of changes - cardio will take a month or 2 as cailleries need to be increased and heart stronger, Then bone density will need to be increased and muscles strengthened, anlong with tendons etc. This is why it will take a bit of time to get easier - but believe us it does.

• Options

Wenty: In this months magazine there is a bloke that's lost 12 stone image

• Options

12 stone - WOW!!

I must admint I like the idea of this running lark making me smaller! That would be a real bonus, she says, sat at her desk eating liquorice allsorts like her life depended on them!!

I do think entering a small race would be good - I'm going to get out to some Park Runs over the next month and get up to 5kms. I think that will help.

On Friday I have a run planned with a real runner - so that should be an eye opener - fortunately she knows how rubbish I am.

I must get a copy of the mag, I think I subscribed, well, I know I did, but I am not sure if that subscription is for the on line bit or I actually get a mag!!

• Options

Booktrunk - 12st !!!! image   how damn big was he!!!! It is often aid it is a lot easier for men to loose weight than women . - I dont know why....... yours is still very very impressive

Cas - Hmmmm not sure liquorice allsorts are the sort of nutrition Booktrunk was talking about - 190g bag has approx 750 calories - thats about 6 miles of running. image

• Options

Oh my goodness, really?? I was counting on the 'in but very quickly out' effect of them to mean not so many calories absorbed. Maybe I need to rethink! I'm quite partial to Jelly babies too!

I could do with losing about 2 stone myself, but I do find that side of it hard. I like my food too much. And my drink....!

• Options

Jelly Babies are awesome on your long training runs.... by long i mean 16 miles plus not 2 miles image

I ran my first marathon on a pack of jelly babies :0

• Options

hahah cheeky!!! Long to me is anything past 1.75! I am still carbo loading to do that distance ha ha!!

• Options

Hmmmm carb loading!!!!!  Thats the only reason i do the marathons!

when you start running longer the weight will come off! (providing you don't keep plowing into bags of liquorice allsorts and jelly babies!!! image)

• Options

Diet is crucial, as I was seriously dieting as well as running, the first week I gained any weight was the week that included my Marathon in it.  ... No matter how far you run if you eat badly you won't loose weight.

• Options

I have to agree i was dieting as well image

Now i'm a bit more sensible - but i was a nutritional nazi when i started running and i think it helped! Sorry Cas not what you wanted to hear!

• Options

well, I admit I am sort of dieting - I watch what I eat honestly, but I figured Allsorts were kind of ok. I lost 2 stone over the last year and I feel good for it, hence wanting to get into running. It's all about self esteem and stuff really....

But I still get tempted by jelly babies and beer. Not together.

• Options

G&T is better than beer - drink that instead - only 56 cals instead of 225!!! image

not sure of the alternative to jelly babies!!! image

• Options

perhaps vodka and fat free jelly shots....??

Quite partial to a G & T to be honest.

• Options

Cas - Hope your 2 miles with a "real" runner goes well today.

• Options

ha, thanks Wenty! I went home last night and worked out the calories in my Bertie Bassetts too - so tonight I do actually NEED to try and run the whole way!! image You got a fun weekend planned??

• Options

i wouldn't worry too much about walking / running as that will come (as long as you are trying). I find it easier to keep running as it is so much harder to start running when you have stopped.

I have entered a 10k this weekend but should really be doing a long run for amsterdam marathon...... image makes me tired thinking about it. Better do some weights as well, as i have been slacking on those.

You have a 3 miler coming up on sunday!!!!

• Options

Hell. I had forgotten that. Bugger, damn blast.

Good luck with the 10K - hope it goes to plan. Hope I am not meant to be doing weights too. Although to be fair I quite enjoy that as I am pretty strong anyway, hence enjoying rugby I guess.

I'm going to do my utmost to make today's run a jog/run rather than a walk/run. That's it. My mind is made up. As Booktrunk would say there is no try, there is only do or dont. So I do......

Brave words. We will see!!!image

• Options

I have found weights to be very beneficial - especially core work. and when i lost the weight then I looked more muscular as the fat was hiding them (dont get me wrong I am no Arnie!!!!)

Go for it and Jog run it. What i found is that if you are getting out of breath don't stop and walk just run slower, get your breath back, then pick it up again. Its all a mental game really. It's only your brain telling you it hurts.

3.1 miles is 5k!!!!!!! so you have reached another goal when completed! image

• Options

Wenty, I could almost love you! I hadn't even thought about that = but I love the geeky stats and stuff so I love the idea of reaching a 5km, even if it's 50 minutes who cares! Jog walk it is......

Booktrunk - thanks! What do you ahve planned for the weekend??

• Options

When I started every half a mile or so when i was running i slowed to a jog and took two or three really deep breaths, did me wonders, and then picked the pace up again.

The idea of weights is great but you don't get any definition looks wise until you have a reasonably low fat level, which is a lot easier for blokes as they naturally have a lower fat level.  If you look at what a ideal / lean male looks like in the percentage stats it's a lot lower.

• Options

Thats very true book trunk - I'm down to about 10% fat (probably from about mid 20's) but the same for a woman would probably be 3/4 to almost twice that.

I think core work is always good though if you have some spare time for planks or cruches and you can do them at home while watching TV.

I agree with book trunk re the slowing to a jog and taking a few breaths.....

How many miles a week you doing now book trunk and are you doing the London marathon 2014?  (I presume so as you are here)

• Options

So Cas - how did it go? are you a 5k runner yet?

• Options

Hi Wenty - I'm a 4k runner! I misread my trainign schedule and it's next weekend I go up to 3 miles, but I felt motivated so pushed on to 2.5 miles on Friday and Sunday. Daft thing is I felt fine and could probably have gone to 3, but at the time I was happy enough with 2.5m. How was your weekend? Did you watch the great northern? I was envious watching it (in a happy to be snuggled up on the sofa in a warm house with a hot coffee way!)

• Options

I did a 10k run on the sea front in a howling gale!! Was dissapointed with 41 minutes image until i saw everyone elses times which made me feel better image

Missed the great north run due to the 10k but read about it and can't believe the great Gebrselassie was running - A legend! - world record for an over 40 year old 61 minutes!!! There is hope for me yet image

4k is good going in a short time - I know what its like as i was there a couple of years ago so well done!

• Options

Thanks Wenty - i did see you are hoping from a sub 3.5 on the London Marathon - so I am seriously impressed by how far you have come. I was telling my friend (who ran with me on Friday) about you and Booktrunk's weight loss and running history. It's incredibly motivating hearing from folks who have been where I am now, and understand that I am not being a whingy whiner when I say I want to give up cos my legs feel like they are running in treacle!

• Options

certainly know where you are coming from!! - Still sometimes feel like running in treacle ! I'm hoping for a sub 3hr in London Marathon (Brighton was 03:13 this year which qualified me for London)

My first 10k 2 years ago was almost an hour, I almost fainted and  it wiped me out for about 3 days, now im down to a PB of 38 min.

Still not as impressive as booktrunks journey, (which is awesome I think) but I'm pleased with it. At your stage I thought 10k was an impossible task and that i would never acheive it......

• Options

Im starting to at least believe it's possible now anyway - dont get me wrong, I am still run/walking but I have noticed my run sections are definitely longer and my walks less....so I am just plodding along. Next weekend I have a personal trainer coming to look at my stride and breathing (it's a donation someone made for me, a session with a running trainer!) so I am quite looking forward to that. Ha - I hope she realises I shuffle....!!

Sub 3 hours - you realise Wenty that you could run 2 marathons then in the time I am hoping to do 1 image