London Marathon 2014

Comments

• You'll be grand! (I hope so anyway, I'm doing the same!)

• Hi BinkTank...good on ya! Same marathon? Good luck, how's the training going so far??

• Yep, same one! Training's pretty good so far, I'm actually kinda surprised how much I can already run considering I've never really done much before. I'm generally quite fit though, so I guess that carries over. Main thing at the moment is getting the right tunes on my ipod to keep me blasting through! image How's your training going?

• Ha, it kind of surprises me how much I CANT run still (!!) but that's ok. I am cool with run/walking. I have a lot of heavy metal on my ipod - something about it just makes me want to run, so it seems to work for me. Off to do 3 miles tonight, 3.5 tomorrow and hopefully 4.5 on Sunday. We shall see. My training plan seems to be increasing in intensity now, so I think I am going to find the next month or so hard work, but I will dig deep and keep pushing on! How far are you running?

• Swedish House Mafiai I find best for running except it makes me run too fast image

But Adele slows me down to a trott. I tried the Smiths, but almost jumped in the canal i was running next too as i became too depressed, Not tried metal - that could be good. System of a Down would make me run fast then slow, so good for intervals!

• Oooh had to youtube the group - but yes, I like the sound of that! Will download some. I could do with somehing making me run faster! The Smiths - oh god no!! Someone else told me salsa music - can you imagine, sashaying my hips as I run haha!!  image

• Yep, loads of metal on mine too! Rammstein and Strapping Young Lad are good for making me pound the pavements! Mastodon's Leviathan album too. I'm running about 3.5 miles a night at the moment, but also switching with Fartlek training for half an hour or so. The Fartlek makes me feel a bit daft!

• Hello cascita and everyone, I got a place in the marathon too, now I'm over the shock I've started running.  I'm 2 stone over weight after giving up the cigs, I'm running 1.5 miles at the moment 3 times a week with a few Pilates DVDs thrown in. Hopefully we can encourage each other  image 

look forward to speaking with you all

• Big Mama.....well done you!! That's the hardest part over then, just by getting out and starting! Can't wait to hear how your story develops and you will find some amazing inspiration here with the others,  they have all given me motivation and conviction. A whole heap of "ions" in fact! 

The others will have much more to say, as they have really done it from scratch and succeeded, all I can do at the moment is share the pain and hard work, but it will be so worth it in April when we cross the line! 

Big hugs image

• Well done Big Mama! Especially with giving up the smokes, it's such a huge thing to do. Keep on going and slowly build up the miels every week. image

• Hello all, also lucky enough to get a spot in the marathon. Just back from a training trot, really enjoying it so far. Best tunes for me are kings of Leon and girls aloud, have a very eclectic pod! 

• Hi Cascita managed Leiceser 4:36:58 according to my Garmin

• Well done you!! I was thinking about you as I pushed myself to go past 4 miles today.....! That's a really good time.....are you chuffed to bits?? Was it raining? 

• well done on going past 4m.

Yes, windy and raining, so it was quite hard. I'm really happy. I must admit I would have lived to get under 4:30 but think I needed another 2 or 3 long slow runs image lesson learnt. 

• When is the next marathon for you? You can go for the sub 4.30 then!!

Now we just need to know how Wenty did with his half which I think was also this weekend! It's exactly 6 months till London......yikes! 

• I was hoping it would be London... Not heard back yet from charity that said I would have a place so provisionally may at MK might do one sooner

• Good luck Cascita, sounds like you are mad keen so should be fine.

I'm going to be there for my first Marathon, and whilst a newbie I have 6 months of running in me and a few 10k races, doing 20-25 mile weeks now. I find it so addictive!

London is my 40th birthday and I got a charity place with Mind, really pleased and excited, but a zillion questions in my head about the whole thing. Need a plan first I think!!

Will start the race age 39 and finish it aged 40, wonder how they work that category out!

• Hi Dave - that sounds iike a fantastic way to ensure a memorable 40th! And it's a great charity to support. I'm glad to hear it's addictive - I do feel like I am getting that addiction but it's still a begrudging addiction. I want to go, but I also want to be grumpy and complain about how hard it is! Weird!!

Do you have more 10ks planned before Apirl??

Booktrunk - I hope the charity confirms for yu ...I like the idea of running wth you (and the other 36,988 people!)

• I'm hoping I can deal with turning 40 that way, and it will be exactly one year of running as I panicked when I hit 39!

I am undecided about races but initial thoughts are one more 10k race on the flat to see what my PB would be, and use that to understand where a half and then the marathon might end up.

I also think, and hope!, that doing a half soonish (maybe Dec) would help give me more confidence in my ability to do a marathon. The training part will be fine though, I don't need motivation to get out of the door, I need holding back on rest days.

And hey, it's only a tad over 4 10k runs afterall isn't it...image

• wow - its been busy on this thread recently!! - well done cas on picking the miels up! - hows that knee?

BT - you are becoming a running machine!!!! well done!

I managed a comfortable half on sunday - 1:35 on a very hilly and wet cross country. Was meant to take it easy but after 5 miles could not help myself and picked the pace up, and felt quite comfortable so looking good for next sundays Amsterdam marathon.

Then no races till Feb next year! but some serious training over winter image

• Quick! Have a good run in t'damimage 

if I'm becoming a running machine it's a rather slow creaky one.. Must admit I do dream if cracking 4h at some point in a year or two. 

• That's a speedy one - well done you! Especially given the weather conditions. Good luck in Amsterdam.....I think that will be so much fun, so look forward to hearing how you get on. Remember, no stopping in the coffee shops en route. Well, ok, just one!

Booktrunk - running machine sounds good to me! I'd rather be a slow creaky one that finishes than a brand spanking new shiny fast one that breaks down half way - and I believe given your success so far you will smash a sub 4 next year x

• yes i agree smash that 4hr marathon BT! It sounds like your endurance is impressive so trying mixing your workouts up and include hills and intervals. (helped me get my speed up but hard work)

nah - ill miss the coffee shops and straight to the bars!!!

how many miles planned this week Cas?

• On the topic of times, can someone with experience of the London Marathon let me know how much time is lost at the start, once crossing the line is it still walking / running slower than you might like for some way?

• Wenty, congratulations at losing so much weight and on your running. how did you manage to lose the weight??

• my weight loss was nothing compared to BookTrunk and others on here - but i started running and was strict with my diet. entered the races as motivation and stuck with it and felt great so kept going. (also did weight training twice a week but dont think thats required), I think its the same as alot go though when they start running.

DaveG2 - I think it depends where you start - but i have heard for most unless you are near the front (GFA and elites) then the first few miles are slow.

my last 5 miles today before Amsterdam on sunday - Panic panic panic arghhhh

• Wenty - GOOD LUCK!!! Have a blast, enjoy the day and just have fun! You know you can do it, so relax!  Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Donna Wonna - both Booktrunk and Wenty have done brilliantly losing wieght, and have inspired me to try and shift a few extra lbs myself. Ok, ok, its 2 stone....but I prefer to think of it as a few extra lbs!

DaveG - I'm happy the first couple of miles are slow! I plan to be in the very last stable at London with the novelty fancy dress runners and complete beginners...so hopefully they will keep me slow and not let me knacker myself in the first 30 minutes by being a total show off!!

GOOD LUCK WENTY!

• Well it helps in not starting too fast I suppose, I will factor that in.

Good luck Wenty, although I doubt you will need it from the sound of your times.

• cheers everyone - I always need luck from everyone and still never confident!!!

i will be pleased just getting round again, Im saving myself for VLM 2014 same as you guys are. - will report back wednesday next week (all being well)

Regarding the fancy dress, in my first brighton marathon i was overtaken by quite a large pantamime horse on about mile 23, and i finished in 3:40 ish...So dont think all fancy dress runners are slow.