London Marathon 2014

Comments

• That's a good analogy, thanks. My trails are a mix but all paths, some a bit gravelly, some with roots there, some close to Tarmac but with lots of loose bits. I suppose there is nothing to lose with getting the analysis and taking it from there, and part of me does want a shiny pair of actual running shoes!

• Well done Cas on the 5 miles, I feel so behind, not been out at all image

My gran had her 3rd hip replacement a few weeks back and it never went to plan, she is now home but cant walk for 6 weeks and Im sharing her care with my mum.  Training is a struggle.  Ive signed up for the Santa Dash on the 17th  so 3 miles it will be.

Im still on 1 mile and getting the fear that I have bitten of more than I can chew.  Hopefully things will settle and I can get into a routine.

Anyone else scared of running alone on the dark nights?

• Last winter was my first winter, and i found a 1 mile route that was completely on paths apart from crossing 2 roads, and had streetlights along the whole route, so in the weeknights i ended up getting to know that one mile route very well.  At one poiint i was running it six or seven times in an evening image But, come summer i didn't want to know it, but this winter I might well be back there, find a route your comfortable with and stick with it.  who cares if you have to do multiple laps, if you are comfortable then you'll stick with it.

• re the running shoes, I think its quite useful to get some decent running shoes - just because " it aint broken" does not mean you cant make it better.

I have training shoes and light racing shoes and have changed them as I got better.

Well done everyone on some good training

• Cheers Wenty, plans already in hand to get some. Had been waiting on the sale of some stuff to fund trainers, and managed to get enough for my first GPS watch too. Decided on a Forerunner 220, if they would hurry up and release it! Fingers crossed trainers will be sorted in the next two weeks.

• Good point DaveG2 - my garmin is my best friend (only cause I don't have any others)!!! - I think knowing your pace gets to be important when you are targeting race times, and good to accurately know your distance as well - I am lost without mine! - only other useful bit of kit is my mp3 glasses!

What trainers are you going for? When I started a couple of years ago I used my leather "down the pub" trainers!!! Things have changed since then!

• Booktrunk - not sure I could stay motivated running 1 mile laps, as I quite like to explore new routes. Saying that I do have my staple long run routes and sunday hills! As you say when you are comfortable with a route, it helps to concentrate on the running - not where the hell you are!!!

• Managed 4 miles along the canal wearing my rxp head torch still got despot cold nearly killed meimage but head torch worked

• I've used Runkeeper so far Wenty and can't get enough of the data, I think it is what drives me on, seeing the improvements in one area or another. But I dont like  earphones now after tryin to run without music and am finding I prefer it. Not as easy to get my data without them so time for the treat to mark 6 months of running.

As for trainers I don't know, will see what the analysis shows and take advice (going to an Up & Running shop for it), but I do want something that looks good too!

In terms of London training, I haven't started a plan yet (or found one) but have maintained my mileage at around 20 miles a week. And today was my longest run ever, my first 10 miler, was really pleasing and happy enough with the pace for a steady run at 95.03.

• Thanks BT, I got a route mapped out.  Im running on my lunch break at work(why didnt I think of this before)  Its fine for now as the plan Im following is only 25-30 mins 5 x per week.

Has anyone else booked a hotel yet?  Im looking for a reasonalbe priced near the finish line.  Dont fancy having to walk much after the race !

• DaveG2 - thats a good point i use run keeper and when i started it was a great motivational tool as my distance got longer and it sent me emails saying longest run and most miles run in a week. Now i find it very useful to track how i am doing now compared to last year. The maps and log of pace is good as well.

I would recommend it !

Big mama - yes i have booked my hotel! - there are some good discount codes on last minute.com and expedia to get 20% off etc. I ended up getting a 5* as it was not much more than a 3*, and i felt i had deserved it (well hopefully i will have deserved it) - A little walk after the race is quite good for you.

• Where did Cascita go?

hope all is ok, I've been following the thread but just thought she hasn't posted for a good while?

• She is here!! Still reading and still slogging away, thanks for asking! I have been focusing on trying to run a whole mile continuously without taking a walking break and I finally managed it on Wednesday! I wanted to give everyone a break from my bleating and whining though about how tough it is to break the mental barrier......and just man up and break it hahaha!! image

Got my first 10k race coming up on 24th December....Mo Run! 

I do find it super motivating to read everyone else's comments and thoughts too....so keep checking the forum every day, but like I said, just wanted to not become a whinger.....

thanks for asking Jellybaby 

• I don't think people see it like that Cascita, we all have the same level of enthusiasm and like to hear about the ups and downs of others. I think you will mostly find support on here image

• Thanks Dave....I have had nothing but support and enthusiasm, you are dead right! and it's been a huge help for me.....

I will stop lurking then! Must admit I am reading the thread of booktrunks and getting very envious of her new toy! and thinking I want one,,,,if only got the timing predictions!  image

• Glad to hear you're still going Cascita, as DG says it's good to share the lows as well as the highs.

i read BT's thread when she started, it is still very inspirational and just shows what will power can achieve.

anyway good luck and keep plugging away.

• Thanks Jellybelly (did I really call you Jellybaby, sorry. Auto correct, that's my excuse!!) 

I do write a weekly blog for the local newspaper too.....you can see that here, this week I am daring to call myself a REAL RUNNER!!

http://www.ashbournenewstelegraph.co.uk/Health-and-Beauty/Fitness-and-Sport/CAROLYNS-MARATHON-BLOG-Im-officially-a-runner-20131108093553.htm

• Good read that, make sure to remind us each time you post one image

You got me worried though, about this Athletics membership thing - that isn't a requirement to do London is it? Also I haven't heard from the organizers, but have the info from my Charity so thought I was all on track.....mmmmm

• Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed it. I confess I cant actually remember joining the athletic thing, but I suspect it came as part of being registered with a running club. Which I only did to get reduced rates in official races.....see, I think like a runner, even if I don't quite look like one!! 

My charity sent me the official ok a few months back, and this week I got an email from the VLM guys with more details and asking me to estimate my time. I said 6 hours.....that's my official target, my unofficial personal goal is sub 5.30! So I would think they are sending those emails out in batches.....

image What?? Christmas smilies already!?! 

• Great blog Cascita.

when is your first event? I think you said you're entered into a 10k?

• I have done two 5ks now, they were both Parkruns and I will carry on with those when I can...shame they tend to be on Saturday mornings which is the day I do a 12 hr shift as a first responder for WMAS. I have a 10k on 24th November which is worrying me as I have a feeling I will be last! but I will be a very proud to have entered it in the first place last! Then March is the Silverstone half followed by London in April. I honestly thought I would stop then and be happy to just know I could do it! But already I find myself looking at other events and thinking how cool they could be......huge worry!! 

How about you? What do you have planned?? image

• I'm doing a 6 miles cross country race at Cliveden in early January, thinking about doing a half marathon in April but I need to lose wome weight and get my backside in gear.

currently running 5k in 29:xx, but have run 26:07 in 2010 when I was skinny and a lot more committed to exercise. Also did a half that year in 2:20, so I know I can do it.

started a diet on Monday and tracking on MFP, so hoping to lose a stone and a half by year end to make my times quicker.

• I'm doing the Silverstone half too Cascita, seems like a great plan ahead of London, or maybe we are just easy sells with the entrance mag pushing it!! i liked the idea of experiencing some of the things ahead of London, like a big crowd of people running, the timing chip etc

• So should I sign up for itimage keep you company image

• Oh BT, my girlfriend managed to get my 220 whilst visiting her parents up north, from the Metro Centre. They kept it back for her but have sold the three (only 3!) that they got already! Phew, only problem is she's not home till Sunday!

• Ohhh exciting! Done a couple of 5k's with mine. 2nd one was after setting up wireless etc... Didn't touch it when I came in then looked on garmin connect and as if by magic the run was up there image 

• I won't have that luxury but it should similar via Bluetooth and my phone

• Bet your dying to play with it image

someone else had a great idea, wear your hrm strap to bed, awesome way if seeing what your resting hr is image

• BT sign up!! That would be most cool......! I just fancy making silly revving up noises when I'm in the pit lane! So childish but such fun, 

Jellybelly don't let being a bit overweight stop you, I have a couple of stone to lose too, but I've carried them around with me so long now I figure I will focus more on getting the exercise and hoping the weight will take care of itself! 

DaveG - I had the same thoughts of seeing how it felt in a big crowd, I  just have no concept of what to expect in London. I mean I find the 130 folk at the local parkrun intimidating enough.....

• Booktrunk, think you should sign up for Silverstone. I'm doing that too, my sister had signed me up before I got into London, so now it's perfect prep!

Cascita, being a huge F1 fan that's one of the fun reasons to do the Silverstone race! Got to have something to keep you amused as you run round 4 times!