HADD Training Method

Comments

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Supremely annoying! We've just lost 2 weeks worth of precious posts! And I don't like this new forum. But I'll gain and bear it... 

I'm going to recap my 10k race on Sunday for those who missed it and frankly, for myself as I am very pleased with it! 

The race began with a half km of weaving, but quickly settled into a relaxed, but strong pace. I finished in 41:06.  However, the route was short by some few hundred metres, so I'll settle for 10k time of 41:40, which is still 2 minutes better than the last 10k in September. 

Interestingly, I spent a good number of weeks doing speedwork in preparation. For this race, just normal, uninterrupted Hadd training. The race's average pace was 6:54/m - a pace I haven't come close to in training. The subLT runs are around 7:30-40/m.

In short, I'm delighted with the training! It really works and holds promise of a lot more to come. 

Dan Donnely, Hadd training is not a quick fix. Yes, it does take time. But just remember, a 10k is about 95% aerobic. Why spend so much time working on 5%, when you could work on the 95% in phase 1 (base), making your paces so much faster?  To me it's a no-brainer. Tell us more about yourself and your training. 

Shades, perhaps I'll try 195 as a max. It doesn't have to be precise, so a round number works better. 

Martyn, how's it going? Obviously, I've missed a posting of yours. Good news that bathroom saga is over then! Back to full training! 

Dr Dan, hello! Do drop in every so often!

Mokshaeight, welcome (back)! Wow, 1.5/m faster for a lower HR is astonishing! Please give us more details about your training and timelines. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sol2 - the new forum will take some getting used to, I don't understand why we had to lose 2 weeks of posts in the transfer, not very efficient IT.

Did you wear your HRM in your 10k race, just out of curiosity to know what your %HR was?   My last 10k race was in 2010 an undulating course, I did PB and my HR was 91%.

There's no need to alter your MHR for stats, you may as well stay as you are for comparison of stats, but I think your HR is probably around 200.   It would be very hard at the end of a half marathon to push your HR up to max.

Mokshaeight - that's great progress, you must be really pleased with that.
  • Hello all. Did a few mountain ultras last year ( about 6, 32-40milers ) and 2 marathons so my pace dropped way off . I am now trying to get some pace back, running 50+ miles a week at the mo with a marathon coming up 2nd April, and I would like to get as close to 3.30 as possible, still way off where I want to be, but, a ho that's life. The mid week 10 miler is run at 70-75% of my Max H R which is 160 BPM, so 112-120 BPM is my target HR .
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Here are the race stats. 

Mile - ave pace - ave HR 

1 - 6:52 - 152
    2 - 6:57 - 171 
    3 - 6:43 - 172
    4 - 7:00 - 169
    5 - 7:04 - 166 
    6 - 6:31 - 172

As I mentioned earlier, there was no .2 at the end of this race - it ran short. If you'll discount mile 1, the ave HR was 170 (78% - 80%) - a far cry from 90-something percent which I should be capable of after a few more months of solid Hadd training. If I remember correctly, I guessed that my LT on the last test (4 weeks ago) was around 168, so I suppose I could have done better than this... 

Shades, in that Half, I was averaging a pretty flat 157 right till the end. The final ~0.3 mile was a steep hill, which is what brought up the HR to 193. I didn't sprint up that hill at an all-out effort and didn't collapse or die on the finish line. 
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Mokshaeight, what are your PBs? It sounds like you don't do a once- or twice-weekly subLT run at 80%. That's the best way, other than consistent high mileage, to bring up your LT. Which, according to Hadd, is the determining factor in a good marathon time. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sol2 - great stats but 170 is 88% of 193 not 80%.  

But as you say as you weren't in 90's you can go faster in the future.

• Hey Sol2 I wouldn't add any extra to the new 10k PB. Enjoy it :)
    Had a fantastic 5 mile run this morning @10:45 69% despite the milder weather. 
    Felt great after my weekly foam rolling, knee and hip exercises last night. 
    Not sure about this new site. 
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Nice 10K Sol. Was it officially short - or just on your watch?

So, first proper ILTHR session for some time... 10.7 miles total with 8.3 at target HR. I did a 1.7 mile warm-up first, which included a mile at target pace in order to get the HR into the right zone and to get the monitor working. Then a quick stretch, before doing 8 x 1.04 mile laps of a local park.... 0.7 miles cool down.

PACE HR (bpm)
    1, 7:15  140
    2, 7:23  144
    3, 7:29  144
    4, 7:29  144
    5, 7:27  144
    6, 7:23  145
    7, 7:24  146
    8, 7:23  146

So, 7:24 /m average pace at 144.1 bpm (79.6 % maxHR). Happy with the pace and lack of significant drift.

• So12 quite right mate about SL runs , which I am not doing, I had a Lactate test about 4 months ago and at the time was quite surprised how low it was ie sooner rather than later. The advice then was " do more tempo runs " .
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Shades, lol, you're quite right, of course! 

Martyn, thanks! Is that an improvement there? 

Dr Dan, not officially short, no, it was labeled a '10k.'  However, many other finishers around me were too looking at their watches in puzzlement. 

Great stats for your run. Metronomic! 

Mokshaeight, well then, what are you waiting for? Get out and do it! 

If you haven't done it before, or not for a while, it's probably best to start with 3-4x15 minutes, graduating to 3x20 and 2x30 before going to one hour. If necessary, repeat each step. 

I had a fantastic subLT run this evening. This was my first attempt at a 1-hour continuous. The wheels started wobbling slightly on the last mile, but didn't fall off. On the other hand, when the hour was up, I was glad to stop. Which means that I must repeat until 'I could go round again if I had to, even if I don't.'  The first mile involved crossing a major junction and having to stop and wait, which affected the pace and HR.  I'm particularly pleased, as this is 10-15 seconds/m faster than last time. Target HR was 80%, or 154.

1 - 7:51 - 150
    2 - 7:28 - 153
    3 - 7:15 - 155
    4 - 7:24 - 155
    5 - 7:33 - 154
    6 - 7:33 - 154
    7 - 7:40 - 154
    8 - 7:35 - 153
    Ave - 7:33 - 154

This was preceded by 2.5 miles, including strides and followed by 2 miles cool down. 
  • Hi there,

excellent sub LT runs there Dr. D and Sol (like icon - it's unfortunately gone ...)

Makes me want to go out and run properly again ... I need to up mileage before I do anything resembling proper training though.

A lazy 2 weeks in Floriday followed by 2 weeks off with the lurgy result in no fitness whatsoever. Ho hum. Better get my ass in gear then...  luckily I have no serious plans for 2017. Just trying to get back into some sort of shape. I'm yoga-fit but it doesn't translate into running-fit ;)

• Hi Just a quick update from me, my first run trying Hadd was on 11th Jan for 80 minutes, average BPM was 146 at 13:39 min / mile, I've done this week 57 minutes at 142 bpm at 12:30 min / mile.  What I've noticed is on the 11th Jan run it was hard to bring the HR down after a hill / incline but now it tends to come down easier once I've ascended the hill / incline.  I'm mainly running to feel now though ie a conversational pace and checking HR stats after, but do have the HR audio feedback in my ears so picking up info from that.  

Presumably I just keep doing what I'm doing and watch the HR come down and pace go up?  Also when is it advantageous to throw in a sub LT run in and what would be a good way to start?
  • Hey Iprice, keep up the good work, I think you need to do three months sub 75% stuff before you add some LT runs as I recall?

Nice even LT splits by Sol2 and Dr Dan.
    Nice to see you posting again Chicksta.
  • Six days running for me this week totaling 42.90 miles.
    @11:19
    7 hours 58 mins
    @70% av hr

The key runs of the week were
    Thursday - 1m w/u, 8 m LT run @9:33, 78%, 1m c/d
    Saturday - 15.50m LSR 68% @12:06 
    The LSR mileage was down on the 20m the week before with one eye on my 20m race in two weeks meaning I knocked this back a little.
    The LSR was done after just four hours sleep at 5am due to noisy neighbours keeping me awake. I figured it would be good practice to run when tired as nobody can ever guarantee a good nights sleep the night before a race due to nerves etc. 

How does everyone else's stats compare?
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Iprice, well done, you're definitely improving! Tell us more about your training week. Mileage? Average HR? 

I may be wrong, but I think that before moving to the subLT runs, you need to have the ability to run for an hour without HR drift (counting from 15 minutes in, after HR stabilises). Are you there yet? 

Martyn, excellent work! 
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    I had rather a lazy week's training. Life conspired against me, as it often does, and I was only able to run 4 times this week. 

Total miles: 37
    Total time: 5hrs 5
    Average HR (aside from subLT): 131 (68%)
    Average pace (aside from subLT): 8:34
    Long run 16 miles in 2:22 @67%

Despite the low mileage week, I am pleased with a very nice increase in sub-70% pace - about 25-30 seconds per mile better than 2 weeks ago! Something is working... 

My next test is due this week. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I just hope the weather behaves... 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sol2 - you were unfortunate last time that it was windy for your Hadd test, down here in Devon I think it's going to be windy all week.  
    I'm due another Hadd test too but will wait for a calm day.   I've had a better training week as the weather has been better, not cold and no ice, 70 miles this week.

Iprice - I think on Hadd's original document when you can run 10 miles at 70% MHR with no change in pace and no cardiac drift then you move on to introducing some faster stuff.

Martyn - that's such a sensible idea to run when a little lacking in sleep, a poor night's sleep before a race is no excuse for a poor race....unless out clubbing all night ;)
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    After last week's 10.7 mi subLT run, I managed another 4 x 5 miles easy pace. I was fighting off manflu all week, so finally gave in on Saturday and missed my final 5 miles. 30.7 in total with another 21 on the bike. This week will be bigger because last week's Sunday's long run was pushed into Monday ...17 miles on the treadmill (guinea pig for PhD student). 2 hours at 70% maxHR and then 5K at 7:04/m (84% maxHR). I had planned just to run commute tomorrow given yesterdays session, but if the legs feel OK (so far so good), I'll do another subLT. Planning a parkrun on Sat and 20 miles on Sunday.
  • @Sol2 I assume that was your cut back week then? You still got in a 16m lsr so not all was lost.
    Have you decided on your next race? I may of forgot.

Cheers @SHADES, yes a lsr whilst hammered would have lots of comedy value, although I am scared to run after a lunchtime pint due paranoia about getting injured, let alone a lsr lol. I'm hoping for a good nights sleep the night before the race as that 15.5m run was not the most pleasant experience to be honest. 

Good luck with the Parkrun @DrDan.

I finally got around to doing a Hadd test this morning!!!
    I gave up trying to fit a test in at my track as its only open four hours a week and my available hours never to suit, and even when I am available, the track is to packed.
    So instead, I decided to try a lake that I have done some LSR's on before and seemed as flat as I can find in MK.
    It turned out that instead of 2400 meters, it suited me to do this as a 1.9 mile loop which measured slightly more at 3040 meters. This distance also had me stopping about 400 meters from where I would start, giving me the same amount of time between each set assuming I was walking at the same pace after each set to rest.

Aim   Avbpm   %   Pace

140   137      71   11:15

150   149      77   10:14

160   159      82   9:22

170   167      86   8:42

180   175      90   8:05

I found it hard to hit the last two which also had a stronger breeze and some nice drizzle to cool me down.
    Roll on early April when I will do another one to compare with!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dr Dan - hope the man flu has gone now, your training is going well.

Martyn - well done on the Hadd test.   Make a little note of how each HR felt too , legs/breathing and you can also compare that too next time.   After all the months of base training and keep our HR down it's not easy to try and raise the HR for the higher rates in the test.

I might do a Hadd test next week before my March races start, just to see how things are going.
  • SHADES said:
    Sol2 - you were unfortunate last time that it was windy for your Hadd test, down here in Devon I think it's going to be windy all week.  
    I'm due another Hadd test too but will wait for a calm day.   I've had a better training week as the weather has been better, not cold and no ice, 70 miles this week.

Iprice - I think on Hadd's original document when you can run 10 miles at 70% MHR with no change in pace and no cardiac drift then you move on to introducing some faster stuff.

Martyn - that's such a sensible idea to run when a little lacking in sleep, a poor night's sleep before a race is no excuse for a poor race....unless out clubbing all night ;)
    Hi Shades, cheers for this, was it not one hour though?  I honestly don't know just throwing it out there as it rings a bell for some reason.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I abandoned plans to do another 10+ subLT ... too windy to bike commute so I ran today and will do so again tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sol2 - I've never seen anything about one hour.   The initial thread we had on RW generally advised that to start Hadd by building up your running to one hour a day to get used to running daily without tiredness but not moving up to any faster running.   I think the idea is to introduce some faster sessions when you are no longer seeing improvement in base pace and obviously when there's no cardiac drift at base pace.

Dr Dan - I wanted a gentle base pace run today but ended up with a much higher HR battling against the wind..   Not much chance of even splits in this weather.
  • Cheers for the clarification Shades. I also ended up with HR at 10 bpm higher than my last few ones for the same pace and perceived effort, putting it down to the weather, wasn't necessarily the wind but also the ferocity of rain and how cold it was.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    I've been busy with extra work the last few days and haven't been able to keep up with the forums. Terrible. 

I gave up on the test this week, as it's been wayyy too windy, thanks to Doris.  Hopefully next week. 

I did a subLT tonight instead, adding a mile (to last week, which was 8 miles in 61 minutes) making 9 miles in 68 minutes. Despite a strong headwind during the first half, making things very difficult, I still managed reasonable splits, slightly positive, but not terribly so. The second half, was sheltered, providing very little wind and, annoyingly, not even a tail wind to compensate me! Overall pace was 7:34/m - just a second slower than last week! 

Martyn, that actually was not a scheduled cutback week! Just ended up being a low mileage week, due mainly to half term. Being self employed and my wife with a regular day job, I'm the one who has to take off every school holiday and every time one of the (4) kids is poorly. Additionally, it just works out that the best time to get out for a run is in the evening, once the little ones are tucked away. But if life gets in the way, then evening quickly turns to night. Sometimes, by the time I am free, it is too late or I'm anyway exhausted from another long day... Don't listen to me moaning. 

Next race is a Half (Wilmslow) at the end of March.  Next up will be the Manchester Half the end of May. I'm sure I'll smash my PB in Wilmslow (1:38, set last September) and I dream of a fantastic race in May.  A couple of ten-kays in the summer. 

Iprice, Shades, I mentioned 1 hour with a consistent pace/HR relationship, as this is what I remember, but I may, of course, be wrong. I do believe though, that the HR does not have to be 70%, but may be 75%.  Remember, Hadd gave Joe zone of 70-75%.

When I find time, I'll try to find some Hadd quotes on the subject. 
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    I've been busy with extra work the last few days and haven't been able to keep up with the forums. Terrible. 

I gave up on the test this week, as it's been wayyy too windy, thanks to Doris.  Hopefully next week. 

I did a subLT tonight instead, adding a mile (to last week, which was 8 miles in 61 minutes) making 9 miles in 68 minutes. Despite a strong headwind during the first half, making things very difficult, I still managed reasonable splits, slightly positive, but not terribly so. The second half, was sheltered, providing very little wind and, annoyingly, not even a tail wind to compensate me! Overall pace was 7:34/m - just a second slower than last week! 

Martyn, that actually was not a scheduled cutback week! Just ended up being a low mileage week, due mainly to half term. Being self employed and my wife with a regular day job, I'm the one who has to take off every school holiday and every time one of the (4) kids is poorly. Additionally, it just works out that the best time to get out for a run is in the evening, once the little ones are tucked away. But if life gets in the way, then evening quickly turns to night. Sometimes, by the time I am free, it is too late or I'm anyway exhausted from another long day... Don't listen to me moaning. 

Next race is a Half (Wilmslow) at the end of March.  Next up will be the Manchester Half the end of May. I'm sure I'll smash my PB in Wilmslow (1:38, set last September) and I dream of a fantastic race in May.  A couple of ten-kays in the summer. 

Iprice, Shades, I mentioned 1 hour with a consistent pace/HR relationship, as this is what I remember, but I may, of course, be wrong. I do believe though, that the HR does not have to be 70%, but may be 75%.  Remember, Hadd gave Joe zone of 70-75%.

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭

Next race is a Half (Wilmslow) at the end of March.  Next up will be the Manchester Half the end of May. I'm sure I'll smash my PB in Wilmslow (1:38, set last September) and I dream of a fantastic race in May.  A couple of Ten-kays in the summer. 

Iprice, Shades, I mentioned 1 hour with a consistent pace/HR relationship, as this is what I remember, but I may, of course, be wrong. I do believe though, that the HR does not have to be 70%, but may be 75%.  Remember, Hadd gave Joe a zone of 70-75%.