Options

Sub 3 hour London Marathon 2014 VLM

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you start in pen 1 or 2 you should be fine. Especially in the good for age start as just to get there you have to be pretty fast.
  • Options

Sub 3:15 for fast red.

• Options

So is the GFA in pen 1 or 2? or Red - Or is pen 1 & 2 in red? Im confused?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Fast GFA last year was in pens 1,2 (and 3 I think) and it was just in front of the regular Red start.
  • Options

Excellent - no excuse then!

I have just signed up for a december pre marathon training marathon to get me back in the swing of things!

• Options

Hi Wenty, I am also running a pre marathon marathon in December. 16 laps of Newcastle racecourse in the winter is going to be a testing long run image

Which event are you running?

• Options

I am doing the Portsmouth marathon.

I have just done Amsterdam and wanted something to see me through to marathon training season, otherwise i will be slack and not do my long runs.

16 laps will be mentally tough, as i have never tried running laps on that sort of distance.

• Options

Kickstarted winter training with Cornish marathon at the weekend. Very slow (3;53!) but as I had not run over 10 miles since May that was deliberate. Well did a 16 mile 5 days before to test whether it would even be possible to do the full. Amazed it went so well, quick 5 miles this morning and all seems fine. Now just got to get the speed up!
    Much prefereing this colder weather to run in!

• Options

Jeremy, I ran Berlin last year after no running for about 4-5 months apart from one 6 mile the weekend before and did a 3:50 in Berlin then 5 months later did a 3:13 at brighton (with training obviously), just goes to show what can be done!

Well done! good achievement....

• Options

Cheers Wenty, I'm pretty sure I could have gone faster but didn't want to risk a DNF or injury. Main aim was to get a measure of where I am as only a few weeks until the training plan kicks in.

• Options

I know what you mean Jeremy, I never thought i would get round so my plan was to run as far as i could and walk the rest - but went so well i ran all the way to 22 miles before i ran / walked the rest.......

Back to the sub 3 plan... how fast do you guys run your normal runs (ie easy runs not interval or tempo, but not long runs either)

• Options

Wenty - I did London and will be doing London again for another crack at sub 3. Personally averaged about 55 miles per week and did plenty of top end miles, 3 - 18miles, 4 - 20s - 3 - 22s and 1 - 24miles. Everyone is different i guess but that worked for me. Always do the last 5/10 miles of the long ones at marathon pace (6.45-6.50) London is nearer to 26.5 than 26.2 so hence the race pace 6.45-6.50. Don't get me wrong some days i struggled to do the marathon paced miles and doubted myself on many occasions but managed. 

• Options
    Paul Rees 5 wrote (see)

London is nearer to 26.5 than 26.2 

Er, no it isn't.

• Options

26.2, or 26.28 if you follow the blue line, which is painted on by a bloke on the back of a motorbike who isn't wearing a Garmin.

• Options

I have always run a bit more than 26.2 miles - especially in more crowded ones.

I also have tried to run the last parts of my long runs at "close to marathon pace". I guess i will need to step the training up with more long runs and pick the pace up at the end of them. Eek!image

• Options

Oh, you'll run more than the course distance, that's pretty much a given for any race to a greater or lesser extent.  That's not the same as saying that the course is long though.  It's why you should base your pace on the time to get between the mile markers on the course rather than using a gps.  If you want sub 3 you've got to get from one to the next in 6:52, whatever your garmin might be telling you.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Agree with Dave entirely. Pick up a pace band from the expo, use the mile markers for distance and a stopwatch for the time.

If getting under 3 is looking tight, don't rely on the Garmin.
  • Options

Someone posted once that they were bang on for just finishing inside 3 hours, then their garmin told them they'd finished 26.2 miles somewhere along Birdcage Walk with 400m still to go.  They were blaming the course for missing out on their GFA (as it was then).

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That's actually quite funny.

I didn't even use my watch this year, just relying on the times on the mile markers. As it only took me 20 secs to get over the line as long as I hit the splits I would finish with 20 seconds to spare. Even if my chip failed the finish line camera would stil have me crossing the line in under 3.
  • Options

*checks training log* 26.30. Not bad, couldn't have been much traffic.  And I've lived in London all my life so I know the roads, innit.  image

• Options

26.3 is about as good as you can expect really! - you must be a taxi driver!

I use my garmin to get my time and build a bit of slack in!so for sub 3 hours i will aim for between 2:56 and 2:58

• Options

Aha! 26.25 - do I win a prize?

There is a bonkers much slower mile in there though which I don't think happened and suspect may have been slightly longer than a mile in real life, possibly with a tunnel in it.

• Options

I use the mile marker + pace band strategy, but also have Garmin showing "lap pace" for each (Garmin) mile as I'm going along.  I usually find running 2/3 seconds inside target pace is about right, but you're getting 26 lots of feedback to adjust.  Or 42 if you run in metric.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

There is a bonkers much slower mile in there though which I don't think happened and suspect may have been slightly longer than a mile in real life, possibly with a tunnel in it.

Just the one?  I had two glitches this year: mile 15, you pass under the Limehouse Link tunnel before coming on to Westferry Road, and mile 18, I think just because of Canary Wharf and pesky tall buildings.

• Options

Oh, that's odd. Mine is mile 19. But looking more closely at the garmin route it does look a bit implausibly drunk around there:

/members/images/699204/Gallery/untitled.JPG

• Options

Bloody hell.  Get us a muffin while you're in Tesco!

• Options

Ah a few too many drinks at mile 19 by the looks of it! - Lay off the beers when running marathons is my advice!

• Options

Well 18 week plan started, trying the P&D up to 85mile plan - although won't be quite as high as I normally swap some recovery runs for crosstraining and shockingly occasionally skip one. Basically using it as a guide for the quality sessions and medium and long run mileage then whatever else I can fit in. Last 4 weeks averaged 50 miles and the benefit from a paced marathon 3 weeks ago has really kicked in.
    First "proper" session today 9miles with 4miles at HMP. I was assuming this needs to be a sub 3 realistic HMP so went for 4 at 6:30 pace.
    Everyone else started their plans or just for for a 12 week plan?
    I needed the 18 week one otherwise I get too fat and lazy over Christmas!

• Options
    REMREM ✭✭✭

12 weeks for me.  Get Christmas out of the way first!

• Options

Started 18week plan yesterday - P&D 55-70mpw. 9mi with 4 @ 15k to HMP pace yesterday.

I got a bit excited because it was day one. Should have been 6:10 to 6:19, but I ran 5:57!