Goody bags in races

13»

Comments

• A medal, a T Shirt and something to help me recover is all i really want.

The best good bag i've had though was for the Robin Hood Half Marathon - it was a nice medal, a banana, an apple, a protein bar, an isotonic drink and a flapjack bar...plus all of the advertising rubbish that they put in with them all.

• Definitely love getting medals - wouldn't object to them adding a bit on the price for those that want them. Have a load of T-shirts which never get worn.
    Wish I'd kept all my bib numbers now, will do in the future as it's the one thing you get at every race!

• I'm a beginner (running for about a year) and I've not competed in a race as yet. The goody bags do little to entice me. What's the obsession with t-shirts and awful sports bars/drink? Clothes-wise trainer socks would be more useful but after pounding the pavement for mile after mile, a Lush bath bomb, a sachet of massage oil and a Cadburys Flake would do me image 

• I agree with NB, much better suggetions,what would everyone put in their ideal goody bag?

• When i took over as Race Director for Wesham 10K and Freckleton Half Marathon I made a promise:

No tee shirts and no medals.

Race mementoes have to be useful i believe, so at Freckleton we have done since 2004,

Shoe bag, pint glass, pint mug, large drinks bottle, holdall, rucksack, bath towel, enormous umbrella, shoe bag big enough to get a large pair of walking boots into, gym sack that contained a gym towel and a drinks bottle.

This year is our 50th race and we have something special lined up.

• Always special @ Freck, brian image

• I once got a sachet of fajhita seasoning mix and a replacement mop head...to be fair most of it goes in the bin, whilst this one at least made me laugh...

• Ran my 1st HM on Sunday (Blackminster, nr Evesham). There was just a t-shirt at the end. No goody bag or medal. I was disappointed as my last 2 10K races were more giving at the end.

I would also say that I was absolutely exhausted at the end and the only food or drink within reach was a small cup water. In hindsight I hadn't eaten enough prior to the race and was desperate for some kind of nutrition. I realise that this was my fault but I think all events should provide a free bottle of energy drink + a banana at the end, or am I being to unreasonable ?

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

JC -- I'd also like to see a free bottle of water and a banana (not too ripe) at the end of every event/race...  Perhaps we should lobby UKA to have it made a mantaory requirement image  I also like to get a medal...  Beyond that I'm not fussed and most of the other stuff isn't worthwhile anyway.

• I shall be entering Freckleton again after payday!

Stockport 10 was the most memorable to me and that plus the atmosphere that the club generate make it a top race because the actual course is pretty dreadful!