Options

Pre-Ironman training training

2»

Comments

• Options

Thanks OC!! I'm definitely on-board with what you're saying - i've been trying to do Paleo, in essence for a while - eating meat, fish and veg, cutting out bread/pasta, i.e. wheat etc, and cooking all my own food, not eating processed.  Where is all went to pot is my inability to avoid sugary treats, when then leads to eating cake etc, so bang goes the no-wheat/no processed life.  Then it feels like having to start again, and willpower isn't enough to keep me going.  However, i've been working on this, and i'm definitely doign a bit better - I've been pretty much following paleo/primal properly for a couple of weeks, and because of that, it has been easier to avoid sugar - willpower is needed a little, but the cravings are not so bad which makes it easier.

I've read Fat Chance - real eye opener - and also Wheat Belly and The Obesity Epidemic which are all really good, and make one wonder why we ever ate wheaty processed stuff in the first place.  I avoid low fat stuff completely, and use real butter, but i'm just trying to use less (I was probably eating to much than is strictly required!).  To help with consistency (which I struggle with) i'm doing this 12 week prog at the gym - we get meal plans (paleo based stuff we cook ourselves - though they include bread on occasion, but i can miss/swap it out), a weekly weigh-in to keep us on track, and weekly group exercise sesh. So i'm more hopeful of success now, though I know it is all dependent on me sticking to it.  When I eat better, it makes training a bit easier, and the better training goes, the more I want to stick to good nutrition, and not ruin it by overindulging in sugary crap. 

You're definitely right about educating myself, so i'm doing that and enjoying the new-found knowledge, but it always helps to have advice from others too, esp. folk who can also walk-the-walk! Thanks image

• Options

Oh and IronChris - I know you're right, I should just join anyway.  I'm just a WUSS though, because the thought scares me!!! hahahaha image

• Options

hope it goes well lea.  cooking for yourself, then cooking the right stuff is a massive first step

i am still eating carbs,  just a lot less than i used to.  my meals are meat first, add as much veg/salad as possible then a small helping of wild rice / brown ric, or potatoes.

i still have a 3 wheatabix in the morning and then a bowl of porridge with some raisins following an hours ride into work.  i'll have some wholewheat bread, and struggle with crisps.... ie they are my downfall at the moment.

on long rides i still use sports drink and solid food,( ham sandwiches / hot cross buns) - with gells to top up on 4hr+ rides

however all the above is a lot less than pasta 5 days out of 7, (with a loaf of bread / bowls of sugar puffs added along the way) - so i am definitely not no carb, just less that i used to be so.  

if i eat a pack of M&Ms now, (my old afternoon snack) i feel great for 20 minutes, thenlight headed, then rubbish for 2 hours.