Post race deafness

Has anyone out there suffered from post race/long run deafness?

It started a few months ago when my long runs started going over 15 miles or so and it happened again after the last two races I've done (marathon and 10K XC).

I've suffered something like it before when diving and at first, put it down to pressure change as my long run does climb a little, but I've run some pretty flat stuff recently and had the same problem.

Do I need to worry?
B.

Comments

• I have also noticed some sort of strange pressure buildup in my ears towards the end of some long runs or sessions at the gym, although it didn't affect my hearing....
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    If there's no pain and it goes away the same day don't worry. I've experienced the same thing during a few races that have involved puishing hard up hills. When my breathing has gotten heavy on a particularly hard climb some fluid will find its way from my nose and throat to the tubes that go to the ears and I get that blocked up, gurgly, semi-deaf feeling. In my case it's normally gone shortly after finishing. Drinking lots after your run will normally equalise the pressure in the tubes especially if you pinch your nose when swallowing.

Shouldn't let it bother you unless there is actually some discomfort there.
  • Thank Gawd for that, I thought I was losing it!

Like I said, I'm used to it from diving but couldn't figure out why it was happening whilst running or shortly after.

Thanks guys, panic over.

This is Bear signing out from Hypochondria Central.

P.S.
    Love the pic', SW. Whippets and Greyhounds are the most beautiful dogs in the world, bar none!
  • P.P.S.
    Will you be flying WeeGee Airlines, ScottyH?
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Yes indeedy. Thanks again for the poster.

Don't remember any Tunnocks Tea Cakes on my flight back from Inverness last week.
  • I've experienced these symptoms myself, and I think it is due to de-hydration. I experienced it worst when I was doing a long run in a tropical country, when I wasn't able to drink enough during the run. But I've also experienced it towards the end of long runs in the UK.