Gravity boots.

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of gravity/inversion boots?(ie-the things you put round your ankles and then hang upside down to do exercises with)
I suffer badly with back pain,and recently heard that this is a good remedy,since it stretches the spine,and can also be good as part of an overall fitness regime.

Any good or bad feedback,including suggestions to go hang myself would be welcome.

LJ.

Comments

• Not a clue, but it sounds pretty drastic. I'm suspicious of stretches in any case, since in my experience if you don't get the supporting muscles strong, the muscles in spasm (which is presumably what you are trying to stretch out of spasm) say thank you and then go right back into spasm at the next excuse.

Have had rotten back trouble in the past, getting much better with stability exercises. In particular, have you tried Pilates, or any other core stability programmes, for example, pool exercises?
  • Another vote for Pilates - my wife used to have a terribly bad back, and Pilates fixed her.
  • I think it can be very painful on your ankles and feet after a very short time. We have an inversion table which supports your weight but even that is a bit keen on the ankles.
  • Having done over 20 bungy jumps from various bridges, cable cars and cranes I must confess that hanging by my ankles was a very pleasant experience.

I'm not comfortable now though with the blood rushing to my head - so it might be worth your while doing a few head/hand stands against a wall to make sure you aren't going to be too uncomfortable before buying any equipment.

Don't know if it will benefit your back or not, but it certainly sounds like fun.
  • http://www.bodysolid.co.uk/asp/specials.asp

Not the most descriptive site I've seen,but certainly the cheapest.Ankle boots clip onto chinning bar and off you go.

I've heard very good things about pilates,but have yet to find a course that fits into my schedule.Have however just gone out and bought a nice orthopaedic mattress at last,instead od the sheet of cloth that was on my futon/pallet.The whole gubbins is now in the bin....so stepping in the right direction.

No hangers then?I thought they'd be out there in droves.
  • What was wrong with the first 2 albums JJ?
  • Update.Had a chat with pal last night who is also fitness instructor.He said that inversion/gravity boots were banned in the US(for use in public gyms)about 10 years back,he believes due to accidents caused by people falling.
    Whilst he concedes that "hanging"is certainly beneficial to the spine and with lower back pain issues,he said there is just as much value to be had from simply hanging the right way up from your bar by the hands,and simply letting go and dropping to your feet if uncomfortable(as opposed to dropping on your head!)

I am surprised at the lack of response to this.Is this simply not a widely used training/pain relief tecnique in the UK?I'm now very concerned about the FLM with what I've been told about potential spinal damage,combined with the fact my back really hurts most days training or not.

Having said that will try pilates this Wednesday as I have the evening off and there is a local class at leisure centre :o)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Lovejoy - by all means go to a pilates lesson and have a look, but make sure you talk to the instructor.

Pilates isn't just something you can nip into halfway through a course - you need to learn the building blocks so that you develop the moves correctly.

A good instructor will do a one to one with you, or hold beginners' workshops...
  • > @Lovejoy said:
    > What was wrong with the first 2 albums JJ?

https://theodgeeks.com/

You can visit on this website for this information.