Dartmoor Discovery

scanned thru 100 or so threads but couldn't see one on this...does anyone have any info on it

Comments

• Thanks Caspar...much appreciated
  • Its hilly ! ive not done it yet but want to one year-

Up and down all the way i think.
    from what i remember about 50 runners or so.

Good luck.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Over 100 runners. Downhill first half, uphill second half - generally.

5th June 2004 - most fantastic race I have ever done.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Help! My first foray into the triathalon/ultra/adventure racing etc forum. It's scary just looking at the titles of the threads. It's the etc I'm especially worried about.

I'm planning on doing this what I would imagine to be the tamest event in this forum in '04. Nothing to some people perhaps, but one step beyond (or rather six miles) into looniness for me. Will there be any return to normality afterwards, or will I too find myself entering more and more extreme events, until I'm finally doing the first run across Antarctica unsupplied with no sledge?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yup - it's the downhill slope for you T Rex now.

I hear that a 6 day race is being organised in 2004 or 2005........
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Shades. Or is it uphill slope?

It will be strange seeing a 27 mile marker. I wonder what I'll be feeling like?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's quite exciting actually, knowing that for the first time you have ventured over marathon distance. The Discovery is very cleverly organised and a drinks station is positioned at about 27 miles, so you tell yourself you're fueling up for the last stretch.

As with most ultras, there are no markers for every mile, they are usually in 5k of 5m intervals, depending on the race. In the Discovery there are mile markers for the last 5 miles - 5 to go, 4 to go etc, which I find really helpful. Also for most of the last 5 miles you can see quite far ahead and runners in front of you give you something to aim for.

Book your accommodation early, there are limited number of places to stay in Princetown, but all types available from bunkhouse to hotel.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dartmoor Prison is no good for us running nutters - it's no longer high security!
  • Tempted to make my first foray into ultras.......

If it's savagely hilly, it's probably too hard/far for me. Can anyone tell me whether it's a killer or just 'undulating'? If it helps, I did Loch Ness if you can compare it to that.

Ta!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Swerve - It's about 4,000 feet of climbing. The first half is generally downhill, except for a tough hill climb at 6 miles, the 2nd half has the worst of the hills.

For an ultra it is 'only' 10k above marathon distance, which is about as short for a road ultra that you will find.

Lots of peeps did this as their first ultra and coped fine, including one chap who had never run a marathon before!!

It's a beautiful and scenic course, the roads are good with little traffic - it's a superbly well organised race and you will be well looked after.

Sorry, haven't done Loch Ness, so can't compare, I will be heading for Scotland to do this marathon in 2004.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    It would have to be high security to keep you in, Shades. By the way have had entry for Connemara marathon confirmed. I expect I'll see you looming up as I prepare to start. I'd go on the Connemara thread but I can't head nor tail of it. Perhaps I'll start my own...

• I'm thinking of running the Dartmoor altho it's on the 5th of June and with the Comrades being on the 16th (which I'm also thinking of doing ), I'm not sure that its possible to do both but would probably be fun trying !!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DD is ideal warm up for Comrades.

T Rex - try the Conne ultra thread instead.
  • I am doing the Copenhagen marathon 3 weeks before this...do you think I'll have enough recovery?

• Not that I've ever run an ultra, so what would I know . . BUT . . for what it's worth, I'd say a lot depends on your perception of your performance at Copenhagen.

If it goes really well and you're pleased with your result then in my experience anyway, you'll recover much more quickly than if you don't meet your expectations in the first race.

So knowing as I do that you're hoping to get an FLM GFA place at CPH, I wouldn't decide to do DD until after the latter . . but as I said . . what do I know?!!

• Trinity , as Richk says it does depend on whether you take it easy or not!!.

This year I took the battersea park marathon as a hard training run (rather than a race) then did the London to Brighton 2 weeks later . My legs felt fine until the 30 mile point on the L2B so had probably recovered (sort of) from the marathon !!!

• As this is going to be my first ultra I think I'll probably race the marathon and not worry too much about my time at DD...so long as I finish before the cut off!...what is it...does anyone know?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Trinity -The official cut off is 6hrs 30 mins, but they wait for everyone to finish. the last finisher last year was about 7.10 (I think). I've not made the official cut off time yet, did 6.44 last year, hoping to do sub 6.30 in 2004.

Richk - good to see you on this thread, does that mean you'll be doing Discovery in 2004? Hilary (you met in Conne) is coming all the way from Lancs to run this next year.

• Hi Shades . . how're you . . ?

To be quite honest, I'd love to do this . . why this should appeal when other ultras don't I can't explain.

However I have to be domestic that weekend . . and my teenage daughter will be coming to stay.

Can't be dragging her down to Dartmoor (boring!) whilst I trot around for 6 hours or so (even more boring!).

I am working on a cunning plan to manipulate my weekends and swap them around a bit however . . but I don't have any great hopes at this stage.

Also up my sleeve is the recent knowledge that Trinity has a teenage son (not boring!!) . . can you see where that one's headed? Even less likely than cunning plan (1) . . .

Is Hilary going to Connemara again this year?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Rich
    Sorry you'll miss Discovery, put it on your 'must do' list. My favourite race of all time.

Yes, Hilary is going to Conne, she's doing the marathon this time.

Spot of match making? Good idea...

• This is on my to do list . . and if I can do it this year then I'll do so . .

Good news about Hilary . . I'll add her to the list . .

• My cunning plan is taking shape . . just checking in to get the date of this . .

. . gottit . . June 5th . . b#gg#r . . same weekend as Lake V . .

. . so that's another dilemma . . !!

• Rich...Teen son is almost 14 and think if I mentioned 'cunning plan' he'd start running...prob to Dartmoor!

• Wrong cunning plan Trin!! I've moved on from that one lol!!

This one involves shifting my domestic weekends forward by one week after CPH . . means all the races I want to do fall on my free weekends, like this, Windsor and Dublin . . stuffs up Abingdon tho'.

Daughter is nearly 15 . . she'd probably be chasing him . .

• Hate to monopolise this . . but . . I'll do it anyway . .

. . cunning plan worked . . now have no reason not to be in Princetown!!

No reason at the moment anyway . . entry form printed off . . any tips on accomodation . . . Shades . . . ?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Book early, Princetown has limited accommodation. There is a bunkhouse at the Plume of Feathers, (where the post race disco is) about 6.50 each. I've booked already, Hilary is doing this as well. Or there's camping available there too - I don't do camping.

First ultra Rich?

• Yup!!!

Scary . . but it's "only" another 10k isn't it . . .

I don't camp either!!

Any more detail about the bunkhouse?