Probiotic supplements vs nature

I've just received a recommendation for probiotic drinks to aid good digestion and help keep you healthy heading into the winter months.

I've always viewed these as expensive health 'fad' products that probably don't do all that much.

Am I being too cynical? Do they have much benefit? Would I be as well to just eat yoghurt with active bacteria?

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Mr Nessie started drinking them when he had bad stomach-ache (I suspect a stress-related ulcer) and found they made a big difference. He's always been prone to upset stomachs and has improved a lot recently, and now has one every morning. I drink them occasionally and quite like the taste (Orange Actimel - the name "Yakult" somehow puts me off). I had a course of antibiotics recently, which normally leave me with thrush, but I didn't get it this time.

Purely anecdotal, and I would be interested to hear other people's experiences, and some of the science.
  • thanks for the input Nessie. maybe i'll give them a try!
  • I have been having difficulty recently and started taking bio yoghurt first thing - just a few spoonsful when I get up. I take medication in the morning and wanted something in my stomach to prevent nausea.

I had been having dodgy stomachs - IBS type symptoms and its settled down

I tried the probiotic drinks - actimel and they were good - but expensive so i have gone back to a big pot of bio yoghurt - I like Bio Activa and its only around 99p a pot. I also have a regular pot of bio yog for breakfast and my symptoms have gone away.

Give the yogs a try - theres lots of them - some lower fat if you need. But you're also increasing your calcium and a bit of protein at the same time and it might help anyone who needs a bit of something before
    a morning run

Hope this helps
  • Bune,

Great stuff. 99p a pot certainly appeals to my pocket much more than Actimel etc.

Shall add to this week's shopping list!