Great North Run 2014

Comments

• Just keeping the thread going image  Welcome to your first GNR Andy and everybody else who's never done it before  -  it's a wonderful event!  My tough ol' husband always wells up when the Red Arrows fly over  -  the only time in thirty odd years I have ever seen him sniffly over anything.  As far as I'm concerned the hot pork and stuffing cob in the tent at the end is the food of the gods  -  can't wait......

• I'm a first time GNR-er too image Have done a couple of HMs before, and am looking forward to upping my mileage again over the summer. My brother did the GNR 9 years ago and raved about it, so now it's my turn! 

Looking forward to having a good weekend in Newcastle. We're staying with friends in Gateshead so it shouldn't be too bad. 

• I don't even *like* the song 'Run For Home' (whoever it is that sings it?) but that's the moment in the starting pen that lets me know I'm really there and that gets me all tingly (and wishing I'd done more / harder training)!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hi penguingirl and Andy - it is indeed a great one to do for the experience - I lost a fair bit of time gazing around and being distracted last year - so much to see!  I'm sure you'll love it image

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.  Ive been tapering this week for the Leeds Half this weekend. Legs feel all achy.  GNR will be my second half this year and on the run up to the Yorkshire marathon in October.  Think I'll need to go easy on the All Inclusive in Turkey (August)

• Hi everyone,

New runner here for the GNR this year and could do with some much needed advice if possible.

We have booked a hotel in the Metro Centre, but will this be easy enough to get to the start line on race day in city centre? Likewise, getting back to the Metro and my family at the end? Or would it be better for them to meet me in South Shields at the end?

One final thing...does your runner's pack (number etc) come in the post or do you need to pick it up at a expo the day before (i.e. Saturday) like VLM?

Any help appreciated.

Michael image

• Michael, welcome and good luck in your prep for the GNR.

Quickest way from Metro Centre into Newcastle centre is usually by rail. As believe it or not the underground /overground METRO service doesn't have a station at the Metro Centre.

Alternatively there are plenty of buses but not sure about how early they run on Sunday.

Your race pack comes in the post and access to South Shields is good on the day via the Metro service for spectators / family etc. (Although very crowded.)

Any further info needed just give me a shout.
  • This must be a record year - 517th message on the thread and it's May!  We are usually at over 5,000 by now I would think.

Training started in ernest.  First 10K of the season yesterday in London. Fantastic!

I love running the streets of London  image

Can't believe I'm at the top of the page with a March post, and now it's nearly the end of May image

• RLTW - well done on the London 10k.

Blaydon Race in a week's time my next one, then the Northumberland Coastal Run and GNR.

Have joined local harriers and speed improving, so subject to resolving a persistent case of plantar fasciatis, I'm hopeful of a quicker GNR time.

• Yes did London on Sunday with my daughter Laura (got her a new big PB). Next up is Bamburgh 10K (up in NE that W/E so perfect) then Bewl 15 then TR24 then GNR.

• Hi, when is Bamburgh 10k? - may not fit in with my usual race criteria of finishing near a pub with public transport back to Newcastle, but I am open minded and given the location it may be worth making an exception.

• Hi all, just completed my first marathon, Edinburgh, and now setting my sights on the GNR.

Having a wee deserved rest then will get back on the training plan. 

Where is the best place to stay that is easy access to the start of the race?

• Stephen - Thanks.  It's great to break my duck.

Bearsted - Well done to daughter. It was a great day on Sunday.

Colin - I stay at one of several B&Bs/ Guest houses on and around Osborne Road.  Easy to walk to the start from there.  Always a bit of a nightmare getting back into Newcastle afterwards but I prefer the easy bit at the start. There's also some of the Travelodge type places at the other end of the city.  Bit of an uphill saunter to the start from those.  Newcastle Uni has accommodation very near the start and they make that available (including pasta dinner the night before I believe).  All worth a look.  You'll also find people cancel their bookings much nearer the time when some decide not to run for whatever reason. Just keep checking the websites regularly.

• Hi James,

Thanks so much for the info.

Michael

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Well now Edinburgh Marathon is out of the way I am going to jump in here and annoy everyone with my injuries / stupid questions / chaffing issues etc etc image

I'm really looking forward to this, will be first time GNR for me after having applied the last 3 years on the trot! Anyway, I know it's going to be a busy race but still aiming for a PB of under 1.40 as currently I stand at 1.40.01 for a 1/2, which is bloody annoying! I also have to use all of my will power to try and keep training up whilst on holiday in July.

I've booked a hotel as coming down from Scotland, can't remember what one as I did it as soon as I found out I was in so suppose I had better start looking into that too at some point!

So hello all and good to see Madbee & Colin in here too, forgot you guys were doing this as well - hope the legs are recovering nicely!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hi Miggito image yup, itching to get out again now! Bring on the summer training.
  • RunLikeTheWind - Thanks, will look into the accommodation.  Was staying family in Durham but they have just put their house on the market and moving to Ripon, how inconsiderate of them image.

Hi Miggito/Madbee - Recovering nicely from the marathon and hip seems to have cleared up too.  My 1/2 PB is 1:56, hoping to try and do a 1:45 in September.  What sort of training plan do you recommend.  Was thinking of either the RW or MyAsics one's?

Miggito, where in Scotland you travelling from?  You driving or train/plane?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Decided to stay at Centre Parcs and get the coach and run service from Carlisle.  Worked well in 2012, really looking forward to this, it is a fantastic experience 

• ClbClb ✭✭

Edinburgh out the way for me too! Now I'd love some advice on a good training plan for the GNR, id like to do it in under 1hr 51 ( last years time) and I'd like to stick to 3 - 4 days running with some cross training.. I don't want much!  any advice from you experts would be very much appreciated. 

• Clb - I try and run 6 km a couple of lunchtimes each week, A longer run of around 9 miles once a week (either home from work or along the coast on a weekend) and have just started going to South Shields Harriers once a week. That always seems enough for me and I aim to do GNR in around 1hr40min.

Have just started doing ParkRun as I think speed work may in fact be the key to faster half marathon times, just getting in the habit of running faster.

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Hi Colin, glad the hip issue clearing up now and you can concentrate on the GNR. I'm coming down from Falkirk so will be driving down Saturday and heading back up after the race. Wife is getting dragged along to spectate, not sure she quite appreciates what she's letting herself in for yet but I'll take the flak after image Kids might be coming too but think it would be easier to leave them at home! Checked it out now so I'm staying at the Village Urban resort hotel so will suss out the necessary nearer the time. Re training plans, it's really personal preference for me so wouldn;t like to advise you. There are loads out there so you really have to pick one that suits a level you would be happy training at. I am using the RW "break sub 130" plan but tweaking it (ie. using slower times!) to "break sub 135" plan as I'm just a wee bit off the 1.30 training level and will keep that for next year.

Hi CLB -  well done on Edinburgh image I wouldn't consider myself an expert but on the basis of your Edinburgh time, I would reckon you've got a sub 145 1/2 in you? So would say the above to you too. If you're only doing want to do 3 runs a week though then have a tempo/interval/LSR as your core runs aiming at the time you want and for number 4 you could do an easy one.....then just cross train as you like and that should be plenty. Have a look at the F.I.R.S.T training chedules,  I think there is a half one, I followed it for the full Marathon last year but changed this year as there wasn't enough running days in it for me.

Like Stephen says above though, I will also be incorporating a lot more speed work into my training schedule this time....

• Hi Miggito - I'm travelling down from Dunfermline so not too far from you.  Likewise travelling with the wife and kids on the Saturday and back up after the race.  I'll have a look at the RW training plans, though myasics has been recommended also.

Just need to find some accommodation.  

Im looking at building a lot more speed work into my training too as want to push my current 10K time (48mins) and half marathon (1:56) times down as eventually want to get my marathon time under 4 hours.

• Hi Folks - I see a few names I recognise from the Edinburgh marathon thread on here! Recovering well here I'm pleased to say  and still very proud of myselfimage

This will be my 3rd GNR this year ( signed up for 3 year membership deal after doing it as my first ever HM in 2012). Hubby and I both running plus kids are entered for the 4K on the Saturday so we're making a weekend of it. Ran it with a hangover last year - won't be doing making that mistake again. Beer and curry down the Bigg Market a temptation I should have been old enough and wise enough to resist!

Hoping for an improved performance from last year ( I abstained in the run up to EMF and I'm sure it helped) so would like to go sub 1.55. Will have to see how I get on between now and then...

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hehe, looks like the whole Edinburgh thread has decamped to hereimage  

GNR's a bit of an incidental run for me, I will be P&D-ing again for Chester, so hopefully marathon-fit and in decent PB shape, but I won't be flogging it if I don't really feel it on the day. 

To those looking for plans, I'd recommend getting hold of a copy of Pfitzinger's 'Road Running for Serious Runners' - sounds a bit pretentious, but his plans are brilliant, made a big difference to my marathon prep.

Stephen, I think you're right that speedwork will help, but don't neglect the long runs - it's great to pick up a good pace for a half, but it's the endurance that helps you maintain it.

Well done on all the great achievements at Ed - I'm still on cloud 9 after my fabulous run, and so pleased they've decided to publish results - not worrying now about my GFA for London not counting!  Still feeling a little bit tired - week 2 after a marathon seems to be my really low week in terms of energy, but I'm ticking over gently until I can start a 12 week marathon plan again image

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Morning all, changed my name as wanted to be reminded of my goal every time I signed on here - sub330 was predictably already taken so now my aim is sub329, as if it wasn't hard enough! image Anyway, yes, it is just like the Ed thread now! Hi Ali, good to hear you're doing well after your efforts, beer and curry the night before - tut tut! Sounds like something I would do!  Not any more though, I felt I suffered as I had too many nights out on the run up to Edinburgh so after a week of reflection I know if I'm going to get my times I need to knuckle down!

Hi Madbee, I'm ticking over nicely too, although stupidly done a few intervals yesterday and now I'm suffering! Serious training starts for me on 30th June..... Great you've got your GFA confirmed for London, I'm in the ballot and keeping fingers crossed! I'll need to wait until I'm 65 for a GFA unless I speed up image

Not decided if I'll do it yet but I actually bought the P & D Advanced Marathoning book yesterday for a read as I had been tentatively looking at their plans. Is the book you're talking about different?

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Sounding good Sub 329 image  The advanced marathoning book is the specific one for mara training, and it is FABULOUS.  A massive part of my Edinburgh success.  The other book covers other distances - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Racing-Serious-Runners-Rodgers/dp/0880118180  I haven't actually used it, but if it's as good as the marathon plans then it will be brill!

• Hi all - glad to see that everyone is recovering nicely after Edinburgh.  Considering my injury only cleared up 2 days prior to the marathon and admittedly I did struggle in the last half, I am not deterred. Bring it on next year!!

Also in the London Ballot so will see what happens there.

Hoping to PB the GNR if train well, looking at getting from 1:56 to 1:45 so I will dig out the recomended book and see what happens.

First run on Tuesday night, since the marathon, with the running club and managed 7.9m in 1:10 ave @ 8:52 mm.  Legs seemed to have recovered well considering how shot they felt after the marathon.

Should have an Edinburgh meet up before the GNR?

• 13 weeks to go and training starts now.  2nd race of the season yesterday.  A rather warm and undulating Chiltern Chase 10K.  Fantastic route. Lovely scenery.

• Starting to acclimatise to Northern weather and banter again at weekend - running the Bamburgh 10K whilst up visiting relatives

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

I need to start running again, enjoying my rest after the Marathon a little too much, will try and get these easier miles up again starting tomorrow (he says hoping!!!) My book's arrived now, suppose I should start reading it image