Great North Run 2014

Comments

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

wow, it's really quiet in this forum, guess everyone is overcome with excitement!! Hi

Ali, glad to hear things going well! I suppose you haver to decide what you want out of each race, Edi was your 1st full if I remember correctly so hopefully you'll be looking to improve on that but LN a wee bit hillier so you don;t want to knacker yourself, like GP said. You could always have a wee 3 miler before GNR  (run from 3 miles out back to the start - you'll probably also get on the telly or barred!) and then race the half, in my mind that equates to an LSR of 20image but then my mind is a bit leftfield! Or you could do a very easy 20 this weekend and an easy GNR - just depends if you're "going for it" or not!  I'm not going for it image, found out a mate of a mate is doing it (his first ever half!) so going to pace him to get under 2 hours hopefully, he's just about there. My injury's healed nicely but not in time for me to race to so I'm just going to enjoy the day and soak up the atmosphere and hopefully help someone else reach their goal. Good luck whatever you do anyway!

• "Easy 20" - what is that? 20 mins, yes, 20 miles no. Decided to just get myself out this am. Managed somewhere between 19-20 (Garmin doesn't take into account my undulating route and x country forays so I'm cutting myself a bit of slack). Found it quite a tough plod then took a bit of a funny turn when I got back. Reckon I didn't fuel enough en route then jumped in shower too quickly when I got back. Light- headed and nauseous wasn't the feeling I was aiming for but I'll give myself an easy week and should be raring to go come Sunday! 

• Looking forward to my first GNR- sounds like a good event reading from previous runners image

Does anyone know how the best way to get back to near the start at the finish? Would I need to carry some cash with me or buy a ticket beforehand?

• Dipesh - best way back to start is by using metro, it is direct South Shields to Newcastle (Central Station, Monument or Haymarket). Haymarket is closest to the start.

you can buy a ticket at the metro station with cash or credit card. Think you may be able to buy tickets in advance, if you google "metro nexus" you will find more info.

• Thanks for help with this, Stephen.

• Can't believe it's a week to go! My first GNR. Driving up from North Yorkshire in the morning. We plan to park at Heworth metro station and take the train to Newcastle. Please can anyone advise if our plan sounds ok. How busy will everywhere be? How much time should we allow? Etc etc! Any advice would be great. Thankyou!
  • Only 5k in 5 weeks - should I still run?

Hi everyone, I'm after some advice, tonight was my first run for 5 weeks having hurt a toe when I ran into a hidden rock barefoot on the beach. image

I did 5k with no pain tonight so now I'm tempted to run on Sunday despite coming very close to withdrawing due to lack of training. 

First question is should I run? I've had a crap year for running but I did train reasonably comfortably up to 18k before hurting my foot. And although I probably won't get aynwhere near the 1:59 I got in my first GNR last year, I feel reasonably confident that I'll manage to get round.

If I do run what would you guys recommend in terms of training in the week I have left? I was thinking a 10 and a 15k and then just hope for the best on Sunday!

• This is taper week, so ramping up could leave you quite tired at the start line.  There is a big difference between 5k and a half marathon, and it could be you don't enjoy the experience.

Ramping up from 5k to 10k then 15k is not the recommended 10% per week either.

I've run half marathons both tired and injured and though I finished, I didn't enjoy the run, which has got to be what it's all about.  I'd consider deferring, but it's up to you.  I suppose you could plod round.

• Perhaps I should just stick a couple of 10s in or maybe a 13-15 tomorrow and a 10k on Thursday giving me 2 clear days of rest, not ideal I know and my head says defer but my heart says just do it and enjoy the day without worrying about pace.
  • Is anyone interested in Accomodation for the GNR 2014.. I have a hotel room booked and paid for in Boldon (6 miles from finish or 7 miles from start)

I paid £120 for the room and i would just like my money back, I'm not in it for profit.

I have stayed here for th last 3 great north runs and it's great, Just picked up an injury and will not be ablle to run... image 

Let me know if interested and I can send more details.

Thanks

• Never mind Ali, your legs will be thanking you for that run - even if your head and body are not! Good luck to you! image

Sorecalf, I would say it depends on what other cross training you've been doing, if you're fit then you'll manage but even if not, you've got a bit of running experience so you will finish it - it just won't be pretty!! image I'm a wee bit in the same boat in that I was injured but I've managed to build it up over the last month and feeling in decent shape to get round comfortably but gave up the racing idea a long time ago and just going to enjoy it. You can still defer, just depends on how much you're looking forward to it - or not! However, if it was me I probably wouldn;t go over 10K, do runs alternate days with cross training, finishing Thursday and then hope for the best!

I need a bit of advice on the transport too if anyone can help. I'm planning on driving to the car parks at South Shields (so I can just drive straight back up to Scotland after) and then metro / bus to the start. I just really need to know how much time I should allow myself, ie do the car parks fill up really quickly or can I get a long lie and get there around 9am with no hassles? Any info appreciated!

• Stephen- thank you for your advice, I may just buy a ticket in advance and hopefully avoid any chaos at the end of the race image

Anyone getting a few nerves- but looking so forward to it!?

• Hi Lily, if you're coming from the south then I think your plan of parking at Heworth and metro to the start is the best way to go. I've done this a few times & it's a fairly clean run right through to Heworth whilst all the traffic heads for Sth Shields. Be warned though the metro will be busy so don't expect a seat if you get on at Heworth. Timewise don't cut it too fine getting to the baggage buses. Give yourself at least an hour to get from Heworth to the baggage buses. After the run you can get the metro back to Heworth or better still get one of the buses that stops at Heworth. The metro's a fair walk from the finish.

Having said all that I'm coming from the west so will be parking in the centre of Newcastle & getting the bus back from Sth Shields. Sub 329 in my experience you won't get away from Sth Shields very quickly so if you're coming from the north you might be better off doing the same.

Overall the best piece of advice I can give is whatever your plans give yourself plenty of time and however long you think it might take you, add on an extra half an hour! Hope this has been of some help.

• Hi David, bad luck with the injury! If you've still got the room available I would be interested, could you message me the details please. Thanks, Ian

• Quickfire question folks - I know the start time is roughly 10am having run the race last two years but I can't find any confirmation of the offical start time either in my starter pack or on the website?

Am I being very unobservant? Anyone know the start time?

• MTViking

The runners guide says they shut the pens at 10.30am, I think actual start time is 10:50am what I remember from previous years

• or could be 10:40am? but you've got to be in your starting pen by 10:30am anyway

• Hi Ian, I have sent you a message but not sure if i done it right as it looks to have messaged myself...Doh!  

Let me know if you havent received it

thanks

Dave

• Just found this on some website

• Elite Wheelchair Racers – 10:10 am
    • Elite Women Racers – 10:15 am

• Public Bupa Great North Run – 10:40 am

• Cheers folks, I will make sure I am in the pen in good time.

• Front runners away at 10.40 if I remember rightlybut it could take anything between 10 mins and half an hour to cross the start line, depending where you are. If it's cold or wet, don't be tempted to discard your bin bag/ extra layer too soon just because things seem to be moving - it can be a pretty slow shuffle forwards to the actual starting point.

Re parking and travelling - my top tip would be to do what I did and marry a native Geordie so you have insider info re all the best parking and routes out image. (And no, I don't know exactly where we're parking this year- not my dept)

Anyone North of the border keen for a run out the week after? Still places in City of Stirling 10k ( flat and fast) http://www.q-buster.co.uk/index.php?rn=714&action=show_detail

• Thanks for the advice VB, I'll do some more checking and hopefully be okay, looks like it's an earlyish rise though! Looking forward to it now!

Feeling slightly rough today after deciding to sink a bottle of red last night so just a wee leg refresher run for me tonight! Hope everyone else staying injury free, sorry to those with late withdrawals, been there / bought the t-shirt (literally!) and it's not nice.....

Ali, I looked at that but am away that weekend, going to try and do the Linlithgow one on the 28th if OH allows but got the Glasgow half the week after too!

• Vernon Bear thanks so much for your advice and Ali too image
  • My sister and her partner have had to pull out of Great North Run at last minute. They have accommodation to try and get rid of last minute. She paid ??200 for it. Think she will have transfers too. Message back if interested with your e mail address and I'll get her to contact you.
  • Hi all,

I'm aware that swapping numbers could potentially be an issue but...

I have a female number for GNR 2014 and, as I'm a bloke, was wondering if there are any women out there with a guy's number who would like to swap?

Thanks!

• Doing the GNR for the first time this weekend. Got my "luxury accomodation" - the Travelodge on the Washington services for Saturday night as I'm travelling up after watching my non-league football team play in Blackpool.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I should get dropped off in Newcastle for the start? My wife is driving me in and then heading over to the finish. Also any idea how busy the roads in will be - how long should I allow?

Thanks.

Hope everyone enjoys the race.

• Hi Saintbarca,

If you're in Washington, I'd suggest heading north on the A1 and the east along Scotswood Road and St. James' Boulevard. That'll take you to the football ground. You've only got a short walk to the start line along the RVI (hospital) road. 

If that doesn't work, you could get the metro to Haymarket from Gateshead or Gateshead stadium. That way, your wife won't have to cross the river or use the central motorway, both of which will be closed.

• Thanks very much for that. I have a habit of being very early, so I think the drive to St James' Park option will be the best one. Haven't been there since I quit watching the EPL 8 years ago but I know where I am once I get there.

No doubt I'll find a coffee house for double espresso en route.

• Just returned from a business trip and thought I'd have an easy jog along the Quayside in Newcastle - it is scorching, not a cloud in the sky. Hope it isn't like this on Sunday!

• Forecast is dry, cool (about 12 Celsius) in the morning and about 15-16 in the afternoon. I hope they are right.