Great North Run 2014

Comments

• You dont have time to taper Vixx - Nottingham was just a warm up for you

• True. I just hope I can shake off the boredom issue. :S

• No - the second half was beautiful! I'd just lost the will to live at that point.

If anyone should feel so inclined, apparently my FB feed will now have updates for my position on Sunday....

• Will have a look. So running lots of marathons is a bit like eating too many mars bars - you eventually get sick of it at times.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

What nonsense Bearsted.  I could never get sick of mars bars. image

• LOL Madbee!

I guess I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.  It didn't help that despite vaselining my legs, they were chafed to bits by the 3 mile point.  A lady gave me some vaseline at 10 miles (and funnily enough didn't want the tub back!) but the damage was done by then.  That didn't help image

• Vixx - its all getting too familiar to you so you forget to do things.

Madbee - I agree on Mars Bars - it was just something I remember from my Economics Degree which was always used to show 'the law of diminishing whatever it was'

• LOL Madbee!

I guess I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.  It didn't help that despite vaselining my legs, they were chafed to bits by the 3 mile point.  A lady gave me some vaseline at 10 miles (and funnily enough didn't want the tub back!) but the damage was done by then.  That didn't help image

• No - the second half was beautiful! I'd just lost the will to live at that point.

If anyone should feel so inclined, apparently my FB feed will now have updates for my position on Sunday....

• I have NO idea what happened there :S

What I had said was I ran out of distractions, rather than forgot to do things :S

• Evening Vixx.

lol. Don't ya just love it when rw forum repeats messages with no good reason.

• Creeps into the forum red with embarassmentimage.  I got THE place for the VLM.  Sorry to hear I beat everyone else to it image.

I've enjoyed reading the GNR reports but have been very busy as entry person for the Abingdon marathon (now that's a seriously flat and fast course).

I spent last weekend doing the 3 peaks and my quads still feel like they've been battered with a steel rod.  But it was huge fun and we had fab weather for all 3 mountains.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hi OS! image  Well done on your VLM place, I'm actually quite pleased to hear that someone did get in, feared it would just be celebrities plodding round dramatically this year from what everyone's been saying!  

• OS - great news on VLM - do you not have a good for age time. Also well done on 3 peaks saw the pics on yyour FB and looked brilliant and you showed those young chaps how it is done.

• Madbee- since I have the ONLY VLM place, I guess I'll win itimage

Bearsted- yes, it is a GFA place (by 19secs!).  The 3 peaks was great but not the best way to appreciate the beautiful scenery- we were up and down Snowdon in 2:19 so no time for photos and Scafell Pike was done by headtorch- like an extreme TR24).  I relied on the hare and tortoise pacing technique with the boys!

• ... and added years!

• Morning everyone, sorry i havent been on much recently, working fulltime now as well as looking after 3 kids and not much running going on so havent had a lot of time !

injury is still here, oesnt seem to be getting better or worse which is kind of a good thing i guess, had 5 weeks rest but got kielder duathlon on sat so decided rightly or wrongly im doing it, been looking forward to it for too long to miss out.  Then the plan is to take the winter off and properly rest for 2-3 months anf hopefully come back freshin the new year.

On a positive note ive ordered a new bike through works cyclescheme so im hoping for no snow this winter so i can get out and do lots of riding

• Morning everyone image

Hello Stringy (that was a flying visit).

Vixx - nice marathon photos - but 'ouch' on running most of a marathon with chaffed legs.

OS - well done on getting into London!  I'm thinking about another marathon (thanks for the tip about Manchester, Vixx). After the hell that was Sunderland, I only want to do a flat one, so either Manchester, Abingdon, Lochaber (if it's being organised next year) or Edinburgh;  but on the other hand the thought of another winter of marathon training doesn't exactly make my heart sing - it's only just starting to get darker at nights but already it's a chore to get out there after work.  What I really need is a part-time job with full-time money so I can train in daylight image

I did 5 miles (fastish) after work last night and afterwards my right knee was really sore for the rest of the night, which was a bit of a worry.  But I put some Voltarol gel on it and it feels better this morning so fingers crossed a bit of rest is all it needs.

Have a good day everyone!

• mr sj- its terrible when works gets in the way of pleasure!  If you keep your CV fitness up on your shiny new bike and keep doing those stretches, especially hammies (which are notoriously short in cyclists) a winter break is a good idea.

Shielsy- entries for Abingdon should open on 1/2/14- last year all 1100 places had gone in 27 days!  So don't hang about too long in deciding!  And you can do all your training in the summer, ready for a cool race day.

• Shielsy - Manchester is great for support and has an elevation of only 55m.  Starts and finishes outside Old Trafford and goes out and back in a strange type of star shape pattern so you have good support most, if not all of the way round.

• OS, I'm thinking of taking a winter break as well. Although performances are going well, the old knees and achilles are acting up in the mornings. A month will do, especially when the ice comes. Will do some spinning and swimming to keep up fitness. It may even lead to triathlon possibilities, you never know.

• Good luck to everyone doing Keilder in its various forms this weekend. At least the weather is set fair.

• Well i got through kielder ok, Really didnt know how i would hold up as 5 weeks of bsically doing nothing was not ideal preperation ! Set off on the first 7 mile run which is just hill after hill and amazed myself by knocking out a couple of 7 min miles, finished only 15secs per mile slower than last year, so a great start to the day.

Into transition and jump onto the bike and straight up a short sharp steep hill, last year i averaged about 13.5mph over the ride and wanted to beat it this year. Started well but the middle section my lack of fitness caught up with me and i really struggled, no energy and feeling very sick, kept drinking to keep me going and started to pick it up a bit towards the end and was desperate to get off the bike.  Fnished the bike averaging 13.7mph ! Just over a minute faster than last year, into transition, jump off the bike and immediately get cramp in the back of my left thigh.

Squeezed it as hard as i could and no way it was stopping me, so off on the last 4 mile run, first mile flew by but then i was dying, my right quad was titening up and every step felt like someone was gripping it tighter and tighter, determined i wasnt stopping or walking , developed a slight limp to ease it a bit but kept going.  Before i knew it i spotted the 800m left sign as a gut caught me up and encouraged me to go wit him, tucked in behind and upped tthe pace, crossed the line in 2:36:??, under 3 mins slower than last year but was over the moon with that as last year i was super fit !

a great day, perfect weather, well organised, nice medal and t shirtbut without doubt the hardest thing i do all year, said this was my last one but obviously will be back next year with stringy and i want to get comfortably under 2:30 !

foot held  fine during e run but ached as soon as i finished, expected to be in agony today but woke up and it feels exactly s same as it does every morning ! S taking that as a good sign

• Great running and riding Simon well done

• Royal Parks Half for me today.  Not a bad day.  Low lying mist in Hyde Park followed by glorious sunshine.  First 6 miles felt slow but actually went at a reasonable pace.  Had the 2:20 pacer in my sights for a while . . . then the 2:30 pacer nicked by as I was taking on fluids, and maybe walking a little image.  The second half I did far too much walking and it all felt strangely uphill (well, just a very, very gentle gradient - but it drags doesn't it?)  Finished in 2:34:22 which is 4 mins quicker than GNR so I'm happy enough for the moment.  Oxford Half next weekend image