Alistair Brownlee post race interview

Comments

• I thought the commentary of the ladies' race was much better with Annie Emmerson - but then she's used to be interviewing top class triathletes - like me and Flat Footed image

• For all those criticising the commentators, at least they weren't Brendan Foster -

Now serious question, the Serpentine is about a mile long (one lap round the outside is 2 miles according to the Serpentine Running Club's 2 lap 4 mile handicap) so why did the men on their two lap swim have to clamber out then jump back in?  seemed a waste of time?

• Grendel3 wrote (see)

For all those criticising the commentators, at least they weren't Brendan Foster -

Now serious question, the Serpentine is about a mile long (one lap round the outside is 2 miles according to the Serpentine Running Club's 2 lap 4 mile handicap) so why did the men on their two lap swim have to clamber out then jump back in?  seemed a waste of time?

I think its so thet the TV audience can get a idea of who is in what position on the swim, I can't think of any other reason.

• It looks better for TV I think. IM races do it too sometimes. Otherwise its a bit crap for spectators.
  • I guess to some degree we should be grateful the BBC are showing red button and live coverage of a lot of Tri's this year.  It is a minority sport after all and its not likely they'll be throwing their best talent at it whether in front or behind the camera.

• Thanks

Just seemed to be a bit stupid to me especially as one of the swimmers slipped on the way out - 

• Tired Badger wrote (see)
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

For all those criticising the commentators, at least they weren't Brendan Foster -

I think its so thet the TV audience can get a idea of who is in what position on the swim, I can't think of any other reason.

And also from a spectating perspective.  Would you want to stand along the Serpentine and see the athletes just once, or would you rather they did two loops so you got to see them twice?

• Two loops but I wouldn't expect them to have to clamber out and jump back in though. Oh well just wondered.

• I'd prefer them to come out about three times. Or maybe have them negotiate those big red balls and an assault course in the water. That would keep me entertained.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    I'd prefer them to come out about three times. Or maybe have them negotiate those big red balls and an assault course in the water. That would keep me entertained.

Then you could have Richard Hammond and Amanda Byron (?) doing the commentary!!

• or release sharks after a set time period to pick off the back markers?

• Grendel3 wrote (see)

Two loops but I wouldn't expect them to have to clamber out and jump back in though. Oh well just wondered.

Most IM, HIM, and Olys tend to have an Australian exit (this is what it is called when they get out of the water at the end of one lap, run a few paces, and then jump back in again)

• Thanks - just never seen it before.

• Shouty Man does have a point. At least they are showing the triathlon now. The commentators ARE getting better. A few years ago the commentator was commenting on the positions of cyclist in a group as if their position in it had a bearing on how they were doing rather than that they were working together. I look forward to watching it agin on Eurosport later this week.. 

• Sonali fecking Shah gets right on my last nerve...but it's OK as I hear she speaks highly of me too image I am hoping her maternity leave will be sooooooo long we don't have to put up with her for Rio 2016.

I'm not convinced of Chrissie. I try to be. I do. I really really want to like her.

Bak to the ToB with that well known Kona Qualifier Backstedt. Apparently he wants to get sponsors so he can train full time for the year. Errrm, AG slot much? Pppfffftttt.

Wow, I have a *lot* of rage today.

• Take a good deep breath Funkin annnddd rrrrreeelllaaaxxxx!image

• me and the OH was doing the couch pundit bit yesterday. Who the Feck is Graham Bell? wasn't skiing his past pursuit? And from what I remember he was cr*p at that too!

what annoyed me most was them interviewing at the finishing line and getting in the way of age groupers who were racing before the elites.

i agree on the upside, at least its on main stream T.V.....roll on Kona coverageimage

• You're lucky it was on telly - I'm in Italy and it won't be on Sky until next Sunday at 6pm - I mean what's the point now I know exactly what went onimage

• I enjoyed the racing loads, but was disapointed in the quality of the commentary.  Chrissie is a smashing lady and a legend in IM racing, but she can't commentate for toffee image  Highlight was the interview with Alistair.

I knew chunky nads would take it out.  Missus was calling me unpatriotic when I was pointing and laughing in her face, just because she was so sure one of the Browlees would win image

The way I look at it, their little boy bodies couldn't hold up to the strain of training/ racing and Havier's more muscular frame can.  He's been very consistent for a number of years now.  I think he'll carry on for a season or two more, then win Kona at his first try.

• Graham Bell's quite good at skiing downhill whilst holding a camera.  I'm not quite sure how that got him the tri gig though.

• Maybe his contract is year round and there's nothing much going ski wise in September ?

He did do Challenge Henley last year and the Half this year - so he should know a bit about Triathlon.
  • PhilPub wrote (see)

Graham Bell's quite good at skiing downhill whilst holding a camera.  I'm not quite sure how that got him the tri gig though.

I honestly think I could do a better job.  Just a little training and I'd only be able to commentate for a few sports- but I could do it.  Too often, 'the brass' assumes that you need 'a name' to get the job done, yet an ordinary bloke who knows his subject and can talk into a camera would do a better job.

I think the IM Talk guys would do a good job.  Then again, what do I know?  I would have thought Chrissie would be ok.

• Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I honestly think I could do a better job.  Just a little training and I'd only be able to commentate for a few sports- but I could do it.  Too often, 'the brass' assumes that you need 'a name' to get the job done, yet an ordinary bloke who knows his subject and can talk into a camera would do a better job.

That's standard these days - the days when the commentator would be brought in from another area of broadcasting, learn the basics of the sport but still knew how to talk to an audience, are long gone.  These days in our celebrity-driven world it has to be an ex-pro, even if they can't talk for toffee.  Very few of the best commentators in the past were at the top of their sport - Hugh Porter would be an exception, but by and large it's all the likes of Brendan Foster and Denise Lewis.

At least on radio they still have to use people who know how to commentate properly, they can't get away with sticking Colin Jackson on to look at a screen and just say 'amazing' at intervals.  Although you do get Robbie Savage, so it's not all roses.

• Is he the skier that got the drug ban?

• I think Brett Sutton should give up coaching and take up commentating, it would be hilarious coverage!

• Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Is he the skier that got the drug ban?

No. That was Alain Baxter.... And he was cleared of cheating!

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Yes Jackson and Edwards would have been a good especially in triathlon when we wouldn;t have to keep hearing about their previous records, wins etc image

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Tbh the commentary didn't bother me too much - thought the numpty comment was genius image what annoyed me was that chick who was interviewing Gomez afters and then realized that Al Brownlee was going past and completely lost interest in interviewing the guy who won the race! Was quite rude really.  

• I thought the commentary was ok .. that (IMO) doesnt need to be too technical as it needs to appeal to the masses as its on primetime telly but the two ladies Ms Shah and Ms Wellington need to do one  image