Options

FLM

I've been running for 6 months, and so far I've done a 5k (37mins), a 10k (73mins). But for some strange reason that I'm yet to work out, yesterday I posted my application from for the FLM.
Now I've got to keep on running!
Any other overweight plodders out there, who are daft enough to think they will be able to run 26.2?
Would like to share training schedules.

Comments

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Fat Girl,

I'm teetering on the brink of an application. First 5k in June (26mins30), first 10k in July (59min50) and currently training for the Windsor half. I've been running since January this year.

I was a fat bloater last year but have now lost 3 stones (one more to go.....) and find that the running really helps keep the weight steady.

Well done for posting that application! I'll let you know if I take the plunge.

Susie
  • Options
    If either of you are thinking of doing the FLM at some point, you might as well apply now. If you do get a place through the lottery but don't feel in shape to do the run, you can tell them you're injured and carry your entry over to 2004 - by which time you'll have another 18 months of running under your (by then much smaller!) belts.

Neil
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip neilruns.The application has gone in, and I am going to start building up my mileage. I will do a marathon in 2003, if not flm, then I will find another.
  • Options
    FGS, why not try the 1/2 first? also it will give you an intermediate target and some additional confidence.
  • Options
    Hi Fat Girl Slim,
    I have also posted my application to FLM!! Have done a couple of 5k's this year (best time 25mins), I'm due to do a couple of 10k's in Sept/Oct and hoping to find a half marathon too.. It's the first time I've applied, so I don't hold out much hope of securing a place - but I'm still gonna do the training - and, like you, if I don't get in, I will find another Marathon to do in 2003 - I need all the encouragement/help I can get!! Good luck and let me know how your training is going..
    Michelle
  • Options
    Hi Guys,
    I've started running recently, doing my first 5K in 3 weeks (Flora Light Challenge). I'm thinking of entering the FLM as something to keep me going, as I seem to find motivation a problem if I don't have something to aim for. I'm also entering a local half-marathon in October (for the same reasons). I can run for 30 mins, so I've got a bit of a way to go. I've downloaded the training schedules from RW, and I'm finding these brilliant, as I know that all I have to do is stick to what it says for each day, and I don't feel guilty about rest days. I seem to have a tendency for over-training, then doing nothing at all for a while, so these plans are ideal. Maybe I'll see some of you at the FLM (hopefully not too near the back!). I'll keep you all updated with how the trainings going!
    Saz
  • Options
    I am going to do a half in October, as I find I also need short term goals, otherwise I just sit in reading RW forums!. I am following the RW training plan for a 1:50 + half, and I think I will be Ok come October
  • Options
    Hi Fat girl slim,
    Which one are you doing (not Barns Green is it). I'm also doing the 1:50 + plan, although missing the first couple of weeks due to following my 5k plan. Should work out OK. Let me know how you're getting on.
  • Options
    Sazza,

I'm doing the Waterbeach Half 20/10/02, It's near Cambridge. See Stickless thread 'first half after paralysis'
  • Options
    Hi FGS and Hi again Susie!

Susie - I didn't realise you lost 3 stones and still losing! You're so speedy and fast - is it all those fartleks!??? (Have done 2nd session now!) Now stop teetering and get that entry in for the marathon!

Fat Girl - you've done so well..I think it's brilliant that you've got the entry in..I'll be following your training progress on the forums - I'm too scared of doing a marathon, but I'm planning on doing a half - but not until early next year.

Kate
  • Options
    Hi FGS - from somebody a little ahead of you... I started running in Feb this year, have since lost 20lbs and am running my 1st marathon next week. Definitely go for it!

By April you'll be in better shape than I am right now, you'll have been running for longer. If you are trying to lose weight as well, diet will play a big part - running alone will not lose too many lbs if you're eating the same (in my experience anyway) - it's also much easier to run with less weight & probably better for joints etc.

Good luck, I hope you get a place!
  • Options
    Kazbar

You may not have noticed, the last message posted on the forum was on 8th August 2002.
    Nearly 14 months ago.

I was about to leave some feedback too!
  • Options
    Lol, it was showing up as a new thread so I didn't notice.

And I'm usually so careful.... ;-)